First Review by Tory

All You Can Eat buffet - Edit

We ate at Charlie's Vegetable in the evening, when the all you can eat buffet was on the menu. We were the only diners in there. The waiter asked if we had visited a Charlie's before, and then went through what we needed to do. He pointed out what was vegetarian, and explained that we could go back to the buffet as many times as we liked within our allotted time. The food was freshly prepared - so fresh that they were preparing it as we arrived and we had to wait a few minutes for the waiter to tell us it was okay to head downstairs to the buffet! There was lots of choice on the salad bar. I chose the Waldorf Salad and added a variety of pulses for extra protein, plus some grated daikon. I also had a non-vegan dish from the hot plate, which was broccoli and cheese with spaghetti, plus a small bowl of white onion soup. All you can eat came with a free soft drink (I had home made ginger beer) and three pieces of bread. I was very full after I'd eaten, so it was exceptionally good value for money.

Pros: All you can eat is good value for money, Freshly prepared food, Helpful staff

Cons: A little tucked away down a side street, Not exclusively veggie/vegan

On the expensive side - Edit

An extensive salad bar, most of which is vegan. Good range of vegan protein including beans and tofu. Eggs too for vegetarians. Staff happy to point out the vegan soup option but be sure to ask about the salads too as a small number contain meat. Quite expensive (almost 2000 yen at dinner) for what it is.

Pros: mostly vegan , easy to navigate even with limited Japanese

Cons: expensive

Super Friendly And Lots Of Choice - Edit

Being vegan in Japan is very difficult. However, there is hope! This salad / soup / etc buffet restaurant is very stylish and staff extremely helpful. Everything non-veg was clearly marked for me and there was soooo much to choose from! Good bar as well.
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 26, 2014

Pros: Choice, Friendliness, Quality

Cons: None!

Salad bar oasis - Edit

Charlie's Vegetable was a welcome change to everywhere else we ate in Southern Japan due to its extensive, fresh, and completely wonderful salad bar. After not having any un-pickled or un-cooked veggies for two weeks, it was really wonderful to find a salad bar. The buffet area is very large, extremely fresh and spotlessly clean. I'm not normally a fan of buffets, but I wish there was a Charlie's Vegetable in my home town! There were numerous options for greens and all of the usual salad options (tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, carrots, etc.), as well as some characteristically Japanese vegetables and protein-rich toppings were also offered together with several dressing options. Also included in the buffet price were three soup options: fish, chicken and vegan, a vegetarian pasta, a few types of breads/buns and sliced cheeses, fresh fruits and desserts. Overall, it was a great value with exceptionally friendly service. They do also offer a menu, but after seeing the salad bar, we didn't even look at it. Also, because the veggies and fruit were all raw, and there are nuts to top the salads, there are several options for vegan and raw-food diets. The restaurant is a little hard to find - it seems like you're in an alley by Western standards, but it's very nice inside once you do find it. I would give Charlie's Vegetable a five out of five, but since they serve meat, four is the highest rating I can give them... Highly recommended!

Pros: Wonderful, fresh salad bar, Spotlessly clean, Very good value

Cons: A little hard to find the first time

Return to Matsuyama Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Charlie's Vegetable closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 886 times since Aug 2011.