Cafe Zaehringer

Contact +41-442520500

Zahringerplatz 11, Zurich, Switzerland, 8001

Serves meat, vegan options available. Cafe Zähringer offers made in-house organic cuisine from sustainable sources. One daily special is usually vegan. English spoken. Between Rudolf Brun Bridge and Predinger Church, 5 minute walk from main train station. Mon 6:00pm-12:00am, Tue-Sun 9:00am-12:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, Organic, European, Non-veg

First Review by Stevie

Nice restaurant in Zurich - Edit

The Zähringer is nice and serves a lot of nice food. They always have at least one seasonal vegan dish and use organic products. Some other dishes (for example the mixed salad) can be changed to a vegan version which is not as nice as the vegetarian option.

Pros: organic food, no hierarchy, at least one vegan dish

Cons: they serve meat, rather expensive

Good but I wouldn't go out of my way to return - Edit

Good but not extraordinary food. Some vegan options. The server we first got was very nice but did not speak English, so we got a second server who seemed always in a bad mood and did not give a hint of a smile once, which was actually rather entertaining. They had one vegan cake when we went there, which was interesting but I'm not sure if it was good enough to get again.

Pros: pleasant atmosphere

Cons: not a ton of vegan options

not a bad place - Edit

they have daily vegan specials, we had a really rock'n hummus sandwich. Its inexpensive and I highly recommend it. Party ended with smokers lit up all around us, but on that side of town its the only game. You won't be disappointed.

Pros: hummus sandwich

Cons: smokers

Huge Portions! - Edit

Limited selection of vegetarian items, but the waiter (seemed more like the owner) was very helpful and understanding in coming up with suggestions. The portions are huge, and the quality is quite good. It is a typical NYC Village type artsy place with communal tables, though we managed to find a separate table. A good option in pricey Zurich.

Pros: Location, Value

Cons: Limited choices, Not fully veg

One of the most comfortable places in Zürich - Edit

Zahringer is more relaxed than the other places in downtown Zürich. Being run by an independent cooperative is also a plus. Rice and soy milk available for coffee, many vegan lunch options, but only one type of cake (which was dry).

Anyway, in Swiss context (=lots of milk, cream and cheese everywhere) Zahringer is still quite okay.

Pros: atmosphere, vegan lunch

Cons: cake options, smokers

Cafe Zahringer, Zurich - Edit

I'm only going to give this place 3 out 5 below. That's simply because it isn't 100% veggie. Otherwise it's fine. Centrally located, easy to get to. The staff speak English and were very helpful when I asked them what they could do for me as a vegan veggie (it turns out vegan veggie wok fries are indicated on the menu). I will always favour 100% veggie places but if I was with someone who insisted on eating non veggie then I'd happilly go to this place as a compromise venue. Good atmo, long opening hours.

Pros: Central, Long opening hours, Good atmo, nice staff

Cons: Not 100% veggie

Return to Zurich Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Zaehringer closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2635 times since Aug 2007.