Cafe Hey

Contact 813-221-5150

1540 N Franklin St (at I-275), Tampa, Florida, USA, 33602

Serves meat, vegan options available. Coffee house that offers vegan sandwiches and some soups and grain salads. Always a vegan soup. Uses local produce and other local products.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Coffee/Tea, Non-veg

First Review by kmilitello

We love this place! - Edit

This little place has some great food. We love the VLT with avocado served on amazingly fresh cuban bread. We've had some great soups and some wonderful brunch offerings (last Sunday of the month). They serve Kaleisia teas that we love and the baked goods are both reasonable and wonderful. Yesterday's Blueberry Almond Coconut cookies were a prime example!

Pros: Food, Teas, Baked goods

Cons: Some of the art

Best VLT! - Edit

This place rarely disappoints. I love the coffee and the VLT is the best in Tampa. The bread is the perfect amount of crispy and soft. Mmmm! It's wonderful. There are vegan offerings that change daily: chili, minestrone, quinoa salad, "tuna" salad wrap (this one kind of turned my stomach

Never Disappointing always Inspiring - Edit

The vegan options are based on what's in season and they make creative inspiring things daily. Their vegan cheesecakes are near perfection. Soups and quinoa are always vegan. I never get tired of eating there because there's always something new to try as well as old favorites, the kale yeah salad, the vlt w avocado added, the almond butter, banana and apricot jam
sandwich known as the ABBA could be eaten as a desert. I always leave feeling happy and healthy.

VLT is tasty - Edit

I had an hour to spare recently in downtown Tampa and decided to give this is a try. I ordered the VLT with the optional avocado to go. I was there on a Saturday morning, which means the shop was pretty busy and it took a while for my sandwich to be ready (the guy at the cash apologized for that). I liked the atmosphere of the place, and the VLT was tasty. Based on this one visit, I would definitely come back here. Cannot confirm staff arguing, as mentioned in another review.

Pros: atmosphere

Cons: was a little slow (but not excessively)

Just ok - Edit

This cafe was really close to my job so I went a few times to get their VLT(vegan bacon, lettuce and tomato) sandwich. They dry press it on Cuban bread. It's an ok sandwich but nothing that I couldn't make at home. The main reason I don't eat here more often is their limited selection of vegan food, the smell of incense and staff arguing. Every time I've gone in there someone is belittling someone or arguing. Not exactly a relaxing coffee shop vibe!

Pros: Close to work, Decent vegan sandwich

Cons: Stinky incense , Limited vegan menu, Not a relaxing environment

Few but good vegan options - Edit

Food is pretty good but I wish they had more than a handful of vegan options. The kale salad is fresh and delicious. I've had a few vegan soups there and they were ok but mild in flavor. They did taste freshly made. The VLT is good but not especially healthy. It's made with vegan bacon and served on fresh Cuban bread. The Abba is delicious, but I eat it for dessert because it is so sweet with almond butter, banana, and apricot jam, also served on Cuban bread. Neither sandwich is particularly filling and should be ordered with a soup or salad side. For vegetarians, there are a few more options with cheese or egg. They have soy and almond milks for coffee or tee and occasionally vegan cookies. Coffee is very good. Lots of events with local music and artists. Few outside tables with hooks to clip your dogs to when you eat outside.

Return to Tampa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Hey closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3060 times since Feb 2012.