First Review by turtleveg

Very Average - Edit

I wish this place was better. The atmosphere is great. The location is funny and cozy. The staff is nice. The pricing is good. The choices are good. The food is not very good. The owners are vegetarians for health reasons, and are not at all aware of vegan ingredients, and do not care to become educated. Some of their food is good- potato salad. But their burgers are not good at all, they were dry and tasteless. The sweet potato fries were good. The kids meals came straight from a box. We live nearby, but we do not eat there much because we came out unhappy too much.

Pros: clean, cool atmosphere, food choices

Cons: taste, not aware of vegan ingredients

Very glad we found it, and tried it! - Edit

Taking a more leisurely route to Florida than usual, we went through Durham and Chapel Hill to see what they're like. In Chapel Hill in the evening, we managed to find Butternut Squash Restaurant. It's an attractive space, and we received a friendly greeting, but we weren't ready to eat yet (we had a late lunch) and were put off by the fact that there were no other patrons at the time. We walked around Franklin Street a while, then went back - still just us in the place, but often vegans can't be choosy, and others came in after us. Macy, the greeter and server, was very pleasant and accommodating, and my wife and I ordered A Touch of India to share. It's vegan (not everything on the vegetarian menu is vegan, but vegan items are clearly marked) - seasonal veggies with a spicy curry sauce. The vegetables were fresh, the sauce was flavorful and nicely spicy, a bit below our upper limit, and the portion was ample. It was a very satisfying meal in all respects, and we feel this restaurant is definitely worth seeking out. Good vegan food is sometimes expensive, but the meal we had was very reasonable for what we got.
Updated from previous review on Friday September 14, 2012

Pros: Fresh, tasty food, Variety of vegan choices, Friendly face

Cons: Location, at the rear of a strip mall

Had a Wonderful Lunch! - Edit

My wife and I stopped for lunch on our way from the Washington, DC suburbs to Charlotte, NC. As an Architect, I liked the contemporary atmosphere as soon as I walked in the door. The feel was clean and simple but warm and inviting with soft, pastel colors and sensitive but trendy lighting. The booth was comfortable (so you felt that you could linger over a cup of tea). I ordered the butternut squash soup and pasta special which had whole wheat pasta, carrots, caramelized onions and brocoli in homemade marinara sauce. I also ordered the sweet potato fries (fantastic!). My wife ordered the vegie club sandwich on ciabatta bread and still more sweet potato fries. I found the portions generous and both my wife and I enjoyed our lunch VERY much, especially after being on the road for 3 hours. Since we will be making this trip many times in the next couple of years (her parents live in Charlotte and we live in the DC area), I am very happy to find a vegan-friendly vegetarian place on the road (which is REAL challenge these days). I am looking forward to trying out the other dishes on the menu when we make this trip in the future. The one difficulty was the location which is at the back of a shopping mall just off of the main shopping street (Franklin St, I believe). I had to ask a few people before we found it.

Pros: Taste, Portions, Atmosphere

Cons: Hard to Find

Best option in Chapel Hill area - Edit

Skip the vegan club sandwich (85% of it is bread, the rest is lettuce...definitely need to up the tofu on this meal), get the sweet potato fries and the hot wings (says that it's for two but you only get four avg sized wings). Friendly service and decent food.

Terrible. Would rather eat PB&J - Edit

How disappointing. I'm not the kind of girl who complains about restaurants, usually. I always over-tip, always give the benefit of the doubt. I'm vegan, and I'm a pretty good cook thanks to all of the awesome cookbooks and food blogs out there. I tend to go to restaurants where I know there's good vegan food. I don't like going to restaurants where I know I'm not going to have a lot of options, because I don't like complaining or feeling cranky with a place because they aren't vegan friendly. So I was really excited to hear about a local vegan-friendly sit-down restaurant, but... the portions are so tiny, and not flavorful at all. The food left me wanting to go home, whip something up, and bring it back to the restaurant, asking if I could get a job replacing their menu. Vegan food is not hard to make flavorful and filling.

The boyfriend and I got the hummus and pita bread to share, to start. We were brought what looked like half of a stale piece of whole wheat pita, cut into about 15 pieces about the size of grapes. I'd never had hummus that lacked flavor before... hummus is hard to mess up. It tasted like water, pine nuts, garbanzo beans, and vaguely like garlic. In that order. I would be surprised if there was lemon juice or tahini or ... really anything else in there.

Entrees came out awhile later. I got the vegan club. The roll is a hard ciabatta, a little larger than a post-it note pad. I had one slice of baked tofu, which was sliced thin and about the size of two sticks of gum lying next to each other. I had one piece of tempeh bacon, which was smaller than the tofu. Then a huge piece of tomato (which made up the bulk of the sandwich), some lettuce, and onion. The dijon mustard looked like it was French's Yellow. The only redeeming part of the sandwich was the sweet potato French fries, which were not too shabby. The boyfriend got the seitan chilli on a bed of rice, which... was the reason we went to Whole Foods to get dinner after leaving the restaurant. The seitan chilli was smaller than a tiny vegan person's fist and was pretty meh. It was placed on top of watery, flavor-less rice. Imagine someone put on minute rice, didn't wait for it to be all the way cooked, and then heated up a can of chilli... and poured about a third of the can on top of the two cups of minute rice...then charged $9 for it.

This place had such potential. How sad.

Pros: Sweet potato fries, Trying to be vegan-friendly

Cons: Taste, Portion, Price

worth supporting this all-veg restaurant - Edit

I went to Butternut Squash on its opening night. Its got a nice atmosphere, though not the best location, hidden in the back of a strip mall. They are still working out the kinks (it was their first day open after all) but definitely worth supporting. Prices are on the high end, vegan were options not clearly labeled (menu had some items labeled but not others), but staff is helpful. My vegan club sandwich and sweet potato fries were tasty though the ciabatta bread was too hard to use for a club sandwich. My server told the chef about the bread and he said he will work on that.
Next time I'm going to go for breakfast and try the vegan biscuits and gravy!

Pros: vegan options, friendly staff, good food

Cons: vegan not clearly labeled, prices a little high

turtleveg I have visited Butternut Squash a couple more times (I wanted to try various dishes as well as support them their opening weekend). I highly recommend the entree called Thai Style Seiten Skewers (Served with peanut lime sauce ,coconut rice and snow peas - it's vegan). The portion size and balance of tastes was perfect. My partner ordered the hemp burger and also loved it, though this is not vegan (the burger is made with eggs).
I also went to brunch on sunday and ordered the vegan biscuits and gravy (the gravy is amazing!) and my partner ordered the vegan pancakes w/fruit. The serving was more than enough food and the pancakes were very fluffy and tasty.
I do hope this restaurant succeeds - hopefully the prices won't keep students away. They also should market themselves more to the community. The opening weekend certainly seemed slow, probably didn't help it was 4th of July holiday.

Return to Chapel Hill Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Butternut Squash closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 524 times since Jun 2009.