Black Cat

Contact 02089857091

76 Clarence Road, Hackney, East London, England, E5 8HB

Open Oct 2013 a cooperatively run, not-for-profit, vegan cafe. Offers vegan sweets and treats and sells vegan cookbooks. Mon 12:00pm-9:00pm, Wed-Fri 12:00pm-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-8:00pm

Category: Vegan, Western, British

First Review by HelenGi

huge portions! - Edit

This place is perfect. Lots of nice options (from healthy to not so healthy). Their portion sizes are out of this world. I have to go to Black Cat every time I'm in the area. It's a must!

THE BEST - Edit

My friends and I visited Black Cat already more than five times, even though it's quite a trek from where we live. And we have never been disappointed! Black Cat was such a pleasant discovery because of its amazing environment, INCREDIBLE burgers (the best burger I've ever had in my LIFE), mind-blowing milk-shakes and absolutely great service.

It's like 100% great. That's why I never stop telling people they have to go and see/taste/experience Black Cat themselves. Totally recommend!

One of the Best Vegan Spots in London - Edit

We eat here regularly, the food is always delicious and reasonably priced, plus there is a nice range of options with changing menus and specials.

The atmosphere is really relaxed so you feel comfortable to sit around for a while and enjoy the food. Staff are always friendly.

There's even a fridge and mini shop so you can stock up on some vegan cheese and chocolates, the prices are really reasonable for these as well.

You have to try the burger, the milkshakes, and the cheesecake!

Pros: Great food, Milkshakes, Relaxed and cosy

Favourite place in London - Edit

Eaten here numerous times. Food has always been great and the staff are really friendly.
The burger is one of my favourites and my daughters always love a cinnamon roll!
Prices are very reasonable too and well worth trying a milk-shake too.

Wonderful place - Edit

The food - English breakfast - was excellent, and as were the milkshake and desserts.

I also just loved the vibe of the place.

I will surely be back, when I'm in London again.

Pros: Cheap, Great food

Delicious and comfortable - Edit

A great space to hang out and have breakfast/coffee/cake in a relaxed atmosphere. I had the full english breakfast and was completely over the moon!
Great discovery, looking forward to coming back!

Pros: Delicious breakfast, cooperatively run, nice atmosphere, friendly staff

Cons: bit far away from central London, but worth the tr

love it! - Edit

Already became a regular, since I moved in London, and I always enjoy it hugely, alone or with friends. Great varied menu changing daily (hourly?) according to what's available and the chef's (good) mood.

Till now I tried:
- fry-up english style breakfast - perfect!
- creamy red lentil soup with some delicious warm bread - meow!
- chickpea curry -
- spicy sautéed seitan plate with salads - super satisfying

The portions are super generous and the prices are really reasonable. And all the plates I saw passing looked and smelled fabulous, so I'd say: see what's on the black board and you won't be disappointed.

They don't sell alcohol but you can bring your own!

Perfect - Edit

I've been visiting Black Cat for a long time now and for me, it's the best vegan place in London.

The food is always incredible, with beautiful fresh ingredients. The staff are absolutely lovely. The menu is constantly changing but they permanently have a wonderful selection of drinks, snacks, mains and desserts. They have a fantastic selection of books and vegan treats/products to buy. They're one of very few places that sell Yerba Mate drinks in London. I love the ethics: cooperatively run, not for profit, locally and seasonally sourced food. Also, there's great information on anarchism, activism and other events/things within London.

Overall, easily five stars and a perfect vegan cafe. I really wish there were more places like this around in London. One of a kind for this city.

Pros: Everything

Vegan, tasty and changing menu - Edit

We went here for dinner. had a Jamaican themed curry and it was awesome. they change their menu based on what's available so you'll have to visit to find out but definitely recommend

Best vegan café in London - Edit

This place is my favourite vegan place to eat - their food is amazing and varied, with lots of choice. Fresh and interesting with great salads, soups, burgers and other hit food as well as an impressive baked goods section and things like vegan samosas and sausage rolls. It's reasonably priced, nicely decorated with lots of anarchist type literature. It's very community driven and they do vegetable sales on Wednesday I think.

Personal favourites- vegetable samosa, cola float, burger and mixed salad.

Pros: cheap, good atmosphere, delicious varied food

Cons: staff could be friendlier (sometimes), a bit out of the way

I really did not enjoy it - Edit

went on a Saturday with my family.. ordered chips and tofu burger x2but was told it would be fried potatoes instead. also ordered seitan sandwich... waited half an hour and The wait was not worth it. the tofu burger tasted Un flavoured and the fried potatoes were covered in oil. we threw away 75% of our meal. the only saving grace was the dessert which was OK. I just felt like I could have done better at home.

Pros: the dessert was ok, I like the concept vegan book store meets vegan sh, all vegan

Cons: Didn't taste good , long waiting times

Loved it here - huge vegan portions! - Edit

Huge portions of tasty vegan grub - the breakfast is amazing. Toast, facon, tofu scramble, mushrooms and baked beans all homemade and delicious. Also sell vegan cheeses and merchandise. Can't wait to go back.

Pros: Friendly knowledgeable staff, lots of vegan options, Good prices

Cons: Gluten free limitations

Delicious, Friendly, & Good Value - Edit

A great vibe, delicious food, big portions, and reasonable prices made this a lovely spot for lunch. I had the pleasure of enjoying a chicken wrap with a beautiful herbed mayonnaise and ooey, gooey, melty cheese- a treat indeed from a vegan perspective! There were lots of drinks and some divine-looking desserts on offer too. Plenty of room, free wifi, friendly service, a basic selection of vegan goods, and a vegan bookshop made this a great little cafe that I would happily enjoy again. Big bonus for being 100% cruelty free.

Pros: Delicious food with amazing vegan cheese, Filling portions at reasonable prices , Nice atmosphere and service

Cons: None!

Terrible Service - rude and shouted at me - Edit

This is the first review I've even written and I felt compelled to post it after the terrible customer service.

After reading fantastic reviews on here, I was looking forward to my visit.

Upon arrival I was ignored for around 10 minutes by the European waitress. I wasn't sure if I had my order taken at the table, or at the counter, so after waiting I made my way to the counter. After a surly taking of my order, I sat back down and my food arrived in minutes. The sandwich was delicious, but after waiting and then nearly eating half of it my drink still hadn't arrived. I politely asked the waitress about my drink, to which she snapped back 'can't you see I'm busy' loudly and many of the customers turned around. She then made the drink and slammed it down on my table without a word. I was left sat there embarrassed and I didn't feel like eating the rest of my food. I wanted to complain and ask for the manager's details, but I felt intimidated. Instead I just left the cafe, not finishing my food.

I've been a waitress myself and I can appreciate how busy it gets, but I've never spoken or treated a customer in that way. I'm also a polite and considerate customer, so I know I wasn't being a being a pain.

Pros: Food was fast, The cafe is warm and cosy

Cons: service

If only it was closer - Edit

This is my favourite fully vegan food place in East London - that's about all I can say really.

If you haven't been there you really should go there.

Pros: All the food, Fully vegan, Hot European punk girl! Haha :)

Cons: Not easy to get to, Some

The best! - Edit

I'm so grateful that this wonderful place is close to home! The most tasty, interesting and plentiful food. Friendly and political - vegan, punk and anarchist literature available. Milkshakes to die for! Amazing cake - especially the peanut butter cheesecake

Pros: Food tasty and excellent value, Friendliness, Great literature

Delicious and great politics! - Edit

This is a brilliant cafe! Everything is vegan and the food is delicious, we have been there several times and everything has always tasted great. (And we don't say that lightly!) There is always a good mixture of filling hearty food (e.g. tofu+tempeh pie with mash and red onion gravy) as well as lighter things like soups and sandwiches. The cakes are great as well, and there is a shop with great vegan, anarchist and environmental books, and lots of vegan things you don't see everywhere (vegusto, tofurky and other things I don't even know the name of). It is a workers' co-op, which is great, and everyone working there is always really lovely. It's brilliant for brunch as well. The only trouble is the portions are so generous we don't usually have space for cake - but you can always have a takeaway slice, which they give you in a sweet little box. Best place!

Pros: Delicious meals, cakes, breakfasts, It's a workers' co-op, All vegan

Cons: No cons, it's perfect!

Amazing - Edit

The food is delicious- really delicious, generous portions for a really good price! The staff are so friendly and sweet, and it has a great relaxed atmosphere. This place is just so great.

Pros: great menu , lovely people, inexpensive

Cons: I can't go there every day D:

Good Cafe - Edit

Really nice place. Large portions, good value. The staff are really friendly and nice to deal with. They do a lot of fake meat stuff if you like that kind of thing. They do a fry up that is huge. Its all really tasty.

Pros: good value, nice staff, tasty

I love this place! - Edit

I walked in and within minutes felt at home. The staff were friendly and chatty, the atmosphere was relaxed, the food was delicious (I had a seitan burger, a piece of orange polenta cake, a chocolate milkshake and a latte) and I was also able to pick up some toothpaste while I was there! It was a very positive experience for me and my friend, so much so that I think we may have stayed later than we intended (apologies to the staff - they were too nice to tell us to get lost!)

Pros: Great value for money big portions delicious food

Cons: none I can think of!

Love this place! - Edit

We love it here - it's always buzzy and cosy and the staff are super-friendly. The burgers are the best in town!! And always amazing cakes and desserts (and milkshakes!) too - make sure you leave room for them! Really reasonable prices and it's BYOB too. They also have some fridges with food (like vegan cheeses, tofu etc.) and drinks to take away. Really good for a lovely, reasonable dinner, brunch or just a weekend coffee and cake.

Fantastic friendly vegan cafe and shop - Edit

We loved Black Cat! Great atmosphere, friendly people. Shop has interesting books and also some unusual vegan foods.
100% vegan menu with delicious, down-to-earth meals cooked well and served in massive portions. Very reasonable prices.
Lasagne - great flavour and texture, served with a good crunchy salad.
Burger - big thick home-made burger in a bun with wedges, sauce and salads.
Fantastic cheesecake and milkshakes.
We got some homemade samosas to take-away for lunch the next day as well.

Pros: All vegan , Great hearty meals for good prices, Puddings

Delicious food and authentic atmosphere! - Edit

The Black Cat is one of the best vegan restaurants I've been to in London! The service is very friendly, the food is fresh and simply delicious, the prices are definitely worth the quality, and all in all the place is very trustworthy and simply perfect to have a meal, milkshake, or cake. Very very very high recommended!

Saturday Lunch - Edit

Jumped on the No.48 bus from Liverpool St (under half an hour) to make a visit having seen the place on Happycow - then realised I'd been there a few years ago when it was called the Pogo cafe which was a similar setup!

Nice interior, with a funky folding facade to let one catch some 'rays on a summers afternoon. Lots of books and interesting flyers about to.

Had a vegan fry-up, lots of food but a little bland for my tastebuds. Not put off on the whole, would return to try some other offerings.

Pros: atmosphere, value

I think this is my new favourite place in London! - Edit

We visited here on a Sunday afternoon, the breakfast menu was still being served, two of us had the seitan gyros which were simply amazing, big big portion, came with a load of fresh good salad with some great dressings and vegan mayo sauce and lovely flatbread. They also gave us a whole wine bottle of chilled water when we asked for tap water, which was great. Afterwards I had cinnamon roll which I loved so much, I've not managed to have one of these since going vegan and it was so much appreciated. Friends of mine also tried the milkshakes and the soup and said everything was really nice.

The atmosphere was really nice and I liked that they sold other bits of pieces like radical books (a lot of AK press stuff) and Zapatista coffee. The staff were nice and pleasant too. The prices were also very very reasonable, especially for the quality of the food and large portion sizes.

A high quality no non-sense vegan cafe which is probably my new favourite place to eat in London.

Pros: brilliant food, great price, great atmosphere and service

the best I know in London... - Edit

So it's hard to keep up with so many places opening up all over town, but after another delightful visit today I felt the need to leave my 5stars...
I valued its predecessor Pogo, and I'm sure some will miss the edgier feel it had, but Black Cat is just consistently so tasty, friendly and just an enjoyable space to be in, to top it all it's a not for profit co-operative, what more could you want? Treats?! I can pick up some great vegan hazelnut/praline chocolate (65g Vego bars £1.50; 150g £3 =50p cheaper than the wholefoods place on my street!) and loads of great stuff in the fridge, I feel very lucky it's just a 10minute bike ride away. Thank you Black Cat people, & well done!

A must visit! - Edit

Great place, variety of dishes and deserts. Cozy, friendly and delicious. I went twice and I wanna go again!

Pros: Nice vibe, Reasonable prices, Creative good food

Cons: Opens late on weekends

Honestly the best place for vegans in London. - Edit

I haven't reviewed The Black Cat up till now as I have been involved in setting it up and running it. But now it has gained the kind of recognition and reviews it deserves I feel able to say without fear of being accused of bias that this small worker run coop in Hackney is the best place for vegans to eat in London. Some other places might occasionally be cheaper, some might have fancier cakes but The Black Cats' cuisine is now so good that I have little reason to eat anywhere else! Also it's a pleasure to patronise a place that is committed to being vegan rather than just jumping on the hip bandwagon, and to know that all the food, the toiletries and cleaning products are vegan. The Black Cat also has a great selection of vegan cookbooks and other radical literature on offer. Don"t be shy to ask for a chefs' special, they are great! Or indeed ask for your own special! There are often superb sugar free brownies. Treat yourself visit this place and it won't cost you much!

Pros: Great food, All vegan cooperative , Friendly atmosphere

Cons: Closes at 8 weekends and 9 weekdays., Can get rather busy at weekends!

Amazing - Edit

Had lunch at the black cat and have to say it is amazing, the butterbean and mixed pepper curry was so tasty. And the milk shake was amazing, Definitely worth a visit if your in london, easy to find and the staff are so friendly. Will defo visit again :o)

MUST VISIT! - Edit

Black Cat is my favourite cafe in London. The breakfast during the weekend is worth getting out of bed (and potentially trekking across London) for! I've had all kinds of food here - jackfruit burgers, breakfast nachos, salads and, of course, the most amazing sausage rolls. Everything is always delicious.

Pros: Well priced, All vegan, Delicious

Favourite place in London - Edit

This is by far my favoruite place in London!
Great food, great prices, friendliest staff ever!
It´s even got a nice little bookshop, what more can you ask for?
This is really a must when visiting this city!

GREAT - Edit

This is a great place to eat, the food is wonderful, staff are helpful and friendly but also nice and relaxed. Great value for money. I live in the middle of Essex but we often go just to eat here. So good to be able to go in and be able to eat ANYTHING on the menu.
Thanks

Pros: Great food, ALL VEGAN, Relaxed

Impressed! - Edit

We visited for the first time recently and were very impressed. The space is clean and accessible, far more so compared to the old Pogo Cafe. My partner ordered a fried breakfast and I had a chicken burger with chips. Everything was freshly made. During the time that we were there the menu board was wiped clean and dinner specials replaced the brunch/lunch menu. We almost contemplated doing something in the local area just so we could visit again for dinner! In addition to the cafe, Black Cat has a number of items on sale in their shop: chocolate bars, drinks, vegan cheese, faux meat, crisps and some cruelty-free toiletries (among other finds). Most items seem to represent good value for money. Definitely recommended if you are in the local area.

Pros: Good selection of food, shop has a variety of vegan items to buy

amazing!! - Edit

I always heard a lot of good things about Pogo but was always disappointed, however Black Cat, with the first Pogo people, is amazing!! Great food and nice variety of products to take home. Pizza night on Thursdays is brilliant!

Pros: vegan, cheap, friendly

Cons: small venue

Can't recommend this place enough! - Edit

This place is fantastic - it looks great and is really inviting and there is a great range of home cooked food - breakfasts, seitan pie, mash and greens, amazing huge sausage rolls, cakes etc etc. The menu changes regularly and is often really inventive.

They also sell loads of vegan groceries - some of which are very tricky to get hold of normally as well as cut-price vegan cookery books. All of the staff are really friendly. The cafe is a co-operative. There is little to fault really!

Pros: Great inventive food, Really nice surroundings, Great shop

Superb vegan breakfast fry up - Edit

I came here for breakfast this weekend and I was so impressed! I hadn't had a proper fried breakfast in a cafe since I went vegan, and the food in the Black Cat really reminded me of how good a weekend morning fry up can be. The space is lovely and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Totally fantastic!

Pros: All vegan delicious food, Great staff and space

I LOVE this place! - Edit

This place is awesome. I mean, the staff, the atmosphere, the food...We've left the Uk now for a while and I can't wait to get back in the city to return here. We had mushroom pie with mash, greens and gravy and it was just unreal! Proper British food :) We also had drinks and cakes which were also decent, well worth the trip to try it out! They also have a nice section selling books/off the shelf food stuffs, plus a big fridge stocked with all kinds of vegan foods at really decent prices :)

Pros: ethos, great atmosphere, great food, reasonable price

Cons: Location (if going afterdark)

I could live here ;) - Edit

Today was a sunny spring day and I met a friend at the cafe for lunch. The large front window was completely open letting the sun stream in with people sitting relaxed on the benches at the front, could have been on the continent rather than looking over Hackney's Pembury estate ;)

My almond burger in brown bun was tasty and came with lovely brown chips (just how my mother used to make them), and a side salad with sprouts. Great food and at a good price, and friendly relaxed service.

They have a good range of books for sale too. I like the fact they are a co-op and operate a fair price policy.

I could have spent all day in here, but I had to come back to work :(

Pros: check, all vegan, food is great

Cons: not open too late

Amazing! - Edit

A 5 minute walk from Hackney Central Station you will find this incredible 100% vegan cafe, where you can choose from big and delicious breakfast, lunch or dinner -not all at the same time though you will be tempted! - or their delicious treats - brownies, cakes and smoothies. Staff is very warm and welcoming and you can also buy your vegan treats such as vegusto, daiya or chocolates. It will occupy most of your dayIt's a must! Closed on Tuesdays.

Amazing - wish I'd come sooner - Edit

Finally cycled here today. Bike racks right outside. Lots of choice on the menu, all still available at 5pm. We had one bangers and mash and one burger and chips. Both were lovely. My made in house burger had a nice smoky taste and was a good size, chips where with skins, again seemed home made, neither too skinny or too chunky. Salads that came with were very tasty.There were 6 or 7 choices for lunch, and lots of cake and dessert options. The cafe itself is lovely, light and welcoming, which great decoration in the loo and around the fridges. It carrys lots of books, more chilled processed vegan food and some rare vegan sweets and chocs to take away too.
I really enjoyed it and will def be back. Great choice of drinks too, including vegan milk shakes and hot chocs.

Pros: Great choice, Tasty home made food, Light and open with bike racks outside.

Cons: Slightly chilly near the door., 11 miles from me in Tooting.

AMAZING CHARITY IDEA - Edit

people this place is to be supported

those people volunteer and make great vegan food

these places gotta spread in the world

big amounts of food and cheap

we all gotta thanks the volunteers for their time and energy they invest in creating great veg food for us all to enjoy

Pros: amazing idea, good food and cheap, great staff

Cons: bigger variety please

Hooray! - Edit

I was very sad when Pogo closed but I am so happy that Black Cat replaced it!

As it is around the corner from me, I have been to Black Cat several times and it hasn't disappointed. I recommend the burger and chips, the chef's special and the pie. The cakes are great too, and the coke float reminds me of being a kid again.

Black Cat is clean, warm and friendly. I really like the shop, as it is a great place to stock up on vegan goodies. The bookstore is also great.

I just wish they were open later, as it would be a nice place to go have a drink and play cards with friends. I also miss the social events that used to happen at Pogo. It would be great if Black Cat had some film nights, fundraisers or other events.

Pros: Tasty food, Cheap, Warm and friendly

Cons: Closes too early, No events

Fantastic All Around! - Edit

Holy Cow!
The kickass menu is all killer, all filler!
The shakes take you to heaven and the burger is served on cloud 9.

Best vegan place around.
Period.

nothing special - Edit

My girlfriend and me went there recommended by a neighbour. We were let down by food lacking inspiration. If you dont mind your meals too salty and cakes too sweet it can be Ok but we found the whole experience disappointing. On the positive side its cheap and there is a vegan shop inside the restaurant.

Pros: vegan shop

Cons: dirty cutlery!

Black Cat Hackney - Edit

A friend of mine recommended meeting at vegan, not for profit Black Cat for lunch, and I'm so pleased that she did as this is an awesome cafe that I am delighted to have found.

The wonderfully bright space has a relaxed atmosphere and the staff are helpful, friendly and knowledgeable about veganism. Black Cat also stocks a selection of vegan foods and books for purchase.

The menu is small but varied, and I could happily have eaten any of the meals. I settled on a mixed salad plate of beet salad, potato salad and cabbage and ginger salad. I usually don't enjoy cabbage, but this was so good that I helped my friend finish hers! The chocolate brownie with affogato finished off my meal perfectly.

I will definitely be going back to Black Cat Cafe again and again and again.

Pros: Vegan, Not for profit, Excellent value

Return to East London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Black Cat closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 11664 times since Sep 2013.