Black Cat

Contact 02089857091

76 Clarence Road, Hackney, East London, England, E5 8HB

Open Oct 2013 a cooperatively run, not-for-profit, vegan cafe. Offers vegan sweets and treats and sells vegan cookbooks. Open Mon 12:00pm-9:00pm, Wed-Fri 12:00pm-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Western, British

First Review by HelenGi

Great little place - Edit

The food can be a little hit and miss here, depending on what the specials are, but I loved it. My burger was delicious, and the phish and chips are yummy too. A sausage roll was less of a hit, and some of the curries can get a bit thick. But I loved the place, which has a super comfy vibe.

Pros: Huge portions, Fairly priced

Best vegan breakfasts in London - Edit

I try to come here most weekends for the breakfast. You get a amazing tofu scramble, potatoes, beans, bacon, sausage, mushroom and bread in a huge bowl, the portion is so generous that sometimes me and a friend share one.

They also sell some vegan chocolate etc.

The staff and atmosphere is friendly, sometimes have to wait quite a while for a table at weekends as it gets very busy.

Pros: breakfast, little vegan shop, dog friendly

Cons: not enough seating when busy

amazing vegan food! - Edit

Loved this place - genuinely one of the best vegan meals I've ever had anywhere! I had vegan fish and chips and choc and peanut butter shake and it was amazing!! Portion sizes really good and served quickly too. Yum!

Literally amazing - Edit

I love Black Cat! It's an incredible place, pretty reasonably priced and always with different, DELICIOUS food. I've never been disappointed by something I ate there. Last time I got a pesto "chicken" sandwich and a seitan salad. Both were DELICIOUS. They also have great books for sale and some other foods for sale as well. And yummy puddings! It's such a nice atmosphere and all cooperatively run. LOVE it!

Pros: All the food is amazing!, Different things all the time, Great ambience, prices...

A favourite - Edit

One of my favourite places in London. The menu is on a chalkboard by the counter and varies but includes things like burger, 'fish' and chips, and curry.   Lighter options include soup, sausage rolls, samosas. The salad bowls are always tasty with a nice variety.  Good portions, good quality and reasonably priced.

Thursday night is pizza night (veg, 'meaty' or mixed and a special), go hungry so you can share a salad too.

Good variety of cakes including some by Essential Vegan (eg her bounty cake - coconut and chocolate, yum).  And the cakes come on cute plates from Magpie the vegan homeware company.

Soft drinks, milkshakes, big mugs of tea, great coffee with various plant milks and BYO alcohol.

Cooperatively run, community feel, good vibe.  Lots of books for sale but fewer grocery items than they use to have (they still have a few chocolates etc but don't have a fridge anymore). If you are local they are a collection point for the Growing Communities veg bag scheme.

Can get busy at weekends but great to see that people love this place as much as I do.

Pros: Tasty food, Thursday pizza night, Nice community feel

Cozy venue. Simple menu. Laidback staff - Edit

Cute and rather smallish restaurant. I loved the fact everything they had on the menu is vegan and have some books and merchandise available. I'd like to go back to try the desserts, they look amazing

Pros: Chocolate and Vanilla milkshakes are lovely

Cons: Lasagna portion wasn't very generous Small men

Familiar vegan foods in a cool and quirky environment - Edit

This restaurant/ cafe has an old school American diner vibe much like Katz Deli in American that I visited (previous to becoming vegan). Usual vegan options so some good variety for everyone. Polite and friendly staff. Limited seating and a small venue are not ideal although this place is open till fairly late. Desserts were limited also.

Pros: decent price and portions , cool and quirky surroundings , something for everyone on the menu

Cons: small venue, dessert options

huge portions! - Edit

This place is perfect. Lots of nice options (from healthy to not so healthy). Their portion sizes are out of this world. I have to go to Black Cat every time I'm in the area. It's a must!

THE BEST - Edit

My friends and I visited Black Cat already more than five times, even though it's quite a trek from where we live. And we have never been disappointed! Black Cat was such a pleasant discovery because of its amazing environment, INCREDIBLE burgers (the best burger I've ever had in my LIFE), mind-blowing milk-shakes and absolutely great service.

It's like 100% great. That's why I never stop telling people they have to go and see/taste/experience Black Cat themselves. Totally recommend!

One of the Best Vegan Spots in London - Edit

We eat here regularly, the food is always delicious and reasonably priced, plus there is a nice range of options with changing menus and specials.

The atmosphere is really relaxed so you feel comfortable to sit around for a while and enjoy the food. Staff are always friendly.

There's even a fridge and mini shop so you can stock up on some vegan cheese and chocolates, the prices are really reasonable for these as well.

You have to try the burger, the milkshakes, and the cheesecake!

Pros: Great food, Milkshakes, Relaxed and cosy

Favourite place in London - Edit

Eaten here numerous times. Food has always been great and the staff are really friendly.
The burger is one of my favourites and my daughters always love a cinnamon roll!
Prices are very reasonable too and well worth trying a milk-shake too.

Wonderful place - Edit

The food - English breakfast - was excellent, and as were the milkshake and desserts.

I also just loved the vibe of the place.

I will surely be back, when I'm in London again.

Pros: Cheap, Great food

Delicious and comfortable - Edit

A great space to hang out and have breakfast/coffee/cake in a relaxed atmosphere. I had the full english breakfast and was completely over the moon!
Great discovery, looking forward to coming back!

Pros: Delicious breakfast, cooperatively run, nice atmosphere, friendly staff

Cons: bit far away from central London, but worth the tr

love it! - Edit

Already became a regular, since I moved in London, and I always enjoy it hugely, alone or with friends. Great varied menu changing daily (hourly?) according to what's available and the chef's (good) mood.

Till now I tried:
- fry-up english style breakfast - perfect!
- creamy red lentil soup with some delicious warm bread - meow!
- chickpea curry -
- spicy sautéed seitan plate with salads - super satisfying

The portions are super generous and the prices are really reasonable. And all the plates I saw passing looked and smelled fabulous, so I'd say: see what's on the black board and you won't be disappointed.

They don't sell alcohol but you can bring your own!

Perfect - Edit

I've been visiting Black Cat for a long time now and for me, it's the best vegan place in London.

The food is always incredible, with beautiful fresh ingredients. The staff are absolutely lovely. The menu is constantly changing but they permanently have a wonderful selection of drinks, snacks, mains and desserts. They have a fantastic selection of books and vegan treats/products to buy. They're one of very few places that sell Yerba Mate drinks in London. I love the ethics: cooperatively run, not for profit, locally and seasonally sourced food. Also, there's great information on anarchism, activism and other events/things within London.

Overall, easily five stars and a perfect vegan cafe. I really wish there were more places like this around in London. One of a kind for this city.

Pros: Everything

Return to East London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Black Cat closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.