CLOSED: Bistro Madeline

• Veg-friendly

Contact 0035054017317

256 Main Street, Gibraltar (at by Cathedral Square), Gibraltar,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has three to four vegetarian dishes, but the owner will customize and make anything out of a great selection of organic produce. Previously named Organics Plus. NOV 2015 REPORTED SHUT.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Organic, Western, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by gr8vegan

Past it's best - Edit

Considering the interior equipment Bistro Madeline is over the hill. It still has a kind of retro or golden age charm though.
There a some vegetarian dishes on the menu, of those one or two vegan ones; there is also a notable rage of cakes and tarts, every once in a while even a dewy one, but typically only some which have already been displayed for quite some time. If any of them are vegan alas I don't know.
At lunch time some of the dishes are cheaper, but there usually is no special lunch menu as far as I know.
I have been there two times last year and two times this year, always noticing some negligences. I have never had to wait long after ordering but twice my dish was not as hot as it supposed to be (or half of the dish was, whereas the other half wasn't). Once there was no salt in the salt cellar in my table nor in the one on the table next to me nor on another table. Once, being the only guest, I had to wait for quite some time (more than ten minutes) for the bill after ordering it.
All in all Bistro Madeline seems to be managed a bit too lax; with just a little bit more effort they could improve theirs service a lot.
Having said that the food is fine and the prices at lunch time are rather good.

Pros: one of few decent veg. options in GBZ

Cons: lax service

Well prepared food, vegan-friendly - Edit

Had lunch at Bistro Madeline with carnivorous family members and we all enjoyed it.

I ordered one of the specials — courgette blossom tempura on a bed of rocket and roasted red peppers, which was vegan, delicious, and very well prepared.

Appreciate the organic produce and tasty fresh orange juice. The chips (French fries) were good, too. Free wifi is a bonus.

Definitely recommendable.

Pros: organic produce, vegan-friendly

Cons: serves meat

A passion for good food - Edit

This cosy little bistro turned out to be a life-saver for us whilst in Gibraltar! As vegans, the owner was very hospitable toward us and made us feel entirely welcome. The food was delicious and, whilst the vegan menu option itself was limited to three or four dishes, it was prepared and served with passion and a sense of pride; he made it a point to assure us that only fresh, organic and old varieties of vegetables were used.

Pros: organic, friendly, cosy

Tasty veggie options just got comfier - Edit

I revisited this eatery after it's refurbishment and enjoyed eating in rather than having to take-away and eat in the nearby square. There is now seating with 7 tables and also sofas at the back. The decor reflected the newly adopted bistro status (previously take-out) with a chandelier and design reminiscent of 1920's France.

This now licensed venue with much longer opening hours still offers a good selection for both vegetarians and vegans. The A la carte menu (which changes rouchly every month) offered soups, vegetarian herbed rice with roasted vegetables and truffle oil, Vegetable tempura with sweet chilli, tagliatelli in pesto sauce. I had the tempura dish with noodles which was delicious.
The 3 course lunch and dinner menu comes to 11.90 pounds.
There are also salads, pasties, quiches, sandwiches and desserts.

The owner informed me that the chef had been hired from abroad in order to maintain the high standard of cuisine. I certainly relished the flavours of my lunch.

Bistro Madeline has an excellent location at the upper end of the main street; perfect for when you are out shopping or exploring. Definitely my preferrred lunch spot on the Rock.

Pros: Great tasting food, Wonderful friendly service, good value

Cons: Toilet not disable-friendly

Best Veg place in Gibralter (and within a 100 km) - Edit

Bistro Madeline is a wonderful restaurant with a separate vegetarian menu. They will also create custom dishes if you have special allergies or needs. They owner & staff are amazingly nice & accommodating. Its the perfect lunch or dinner spot for a hard day of hiking the rock. Their produce comes from Morocco, from special organic farms, its unmatched in quality.

Pros: organic, veg menu, wonderful!

Has CLOSED: Bistro Madeline closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1140 times since Dec 2009.