Contact 01212362313

Great Western Arcade, Colmore Row, Birmingham, England, B2 5HU

Its 3rd location, opened Sept 2013. Modern vegetarian British food served with wide range of beers, wines and cocktails. In 2015 it dropped the "Bistro" from its name, now just 1847. Open Mon-Thu 12:00pm-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-10:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, Beer/Wine, British

First Review by Janey.m

Not lacking salt! - Edit

The standard, small, minimalistic feel with high prices for small portions. Being completely honest not my sort of place. However if the food is on point I can ignore the vibe so to speak, however for us it just wasn't. My starter was a salted carrot with some puree on the side, when I say salted it tasted like a carrot that had been boiled in salted water with 5 parts water to 1 salt. I know the clues in the name but it was beyond salty. I put it down to a bad choice. My main was a risotto, however again the salt just killed it. The other mains ordered were also overly salted but not on the same level as mine. My wife swapped with me half way and we just about finished but our friend left pretty much the entire plate.We were asked if every thing was OK and I voiced the dish was overly salty. I was told that veggie and vegans generally lack salt in their diet and that is why it may be saltier than normal. I didn't know what to say to that tbh. I was offered another dish but declined on the basis I have just been told that what I am tasting is their added salt menu.Apparently veggie, vegan restaurants can only be 2 star or above, no idea what that is about, so 2 it is but it's a 1 really. Only those who read my extra long review will ever know this!

OK. - Edit

I really wanted to love this place as any new Veggie/Vegan restaurant in Brum is good news. Alas I came away feeling "meh, that was OK".

Pros: Vegan/Veggie place serving contemporary food. Sta

Cons: Atmosphere not great. Food felt "over thought out"

Nice food- great vegan roast - Edit

It's more leaning towards fine dining food with all courses presented beautifully and slightly more expensive. Both my mum and I are vegan and went for the roast dinner- unfortunately it didn't come with red cabbage which it said it did on the menu. To be honest the portion size was big so it didn't matter. I had Yorkshire puddings for the first time since going vegan so was an absolute treat for me! The food tasted amazing and the pudding was delicious! The decor was lovely but we went on a Sunday for late lunch and it's only recently just opened on Sunday's so was just us in, I didn't mind because the music was playing and the waitress was respectful and didn't seem to be listening in at all. I would recommend this to anyone!

Pros: Sunday roast WITH Yorkshire puddings , Tasty

Cons: Quiet

Beautiful food - to look at and to taste! - Edit

I visited 1847 recently with my mum (who's a meat eater), and we decided to go all out and treat ourselves to the seven course vegan tasting menu. It was early on a Monday evening when we visited, and we were the only ones in the restaurant until towards the end of our courses at about 7pm. The waitress paid us a lot of attention and was really lovely, but it did feel a bit awkward to have a conversation when it was so quiet.

It was pricey, and each course is small, but by the end of the seven courses we were absolutely stuffed! The quality of the food and all the different tastes were amazing! The battered tofu was sublime as was the earl grey cake - I hate earl grey tea, so didn't think I would like it at all!

I would highly recommend this place for a quality treat, and I will definitely be returning when in Birmingham.

Pros: Quality food, Great vegan options, Flavours are amazing

Cons: Pricey, A bit too quiet

Not Really My Cup of Tea - Edit

I should be honest from the start - I'm a little biased against 'posh' restaurants like this one. When I go out for a meal, I usually want something fairly hearty and robust, rather than a few tastefully-presented morsels on oversized plates. This place seems to do that kind of 'fine dining' experience quite well, but spending so much money on so little food (especially when it's not massively out of the ordinary) is not really for me.

With that said, the staff here were very friendly and helpful, and the food itself was tasty. There just isn't enough of it, and it didn't seem like anything I couldn't have put together a reasonable facsimile of by myself (potato pancakes, anyone?). I accept that I am a philistine though, sorry...

Sublime Veggie Food - Edit

Exquisite vegetarian food, there are so few veggie restaurants in Central England and 5 of us drove long journeys in anticipation after reading an intriguing magazine feature on 1847. (Odd name, it's the year the Vegetarian Society was formed apparently). Carefully judged, imaginative and unusual dishes, nothing ordinary, everything special and beautifully presented, strewn with edible flowers and micro greens.. Smoked ice cream was unmissable.. Beer battered Halloumi with a tangy lemon curd was a treat, wafer thin fresh cucumber water served throughout lunch.. this is the best veggie restaurant I've found outside London, Edinburgh, Bristol and Brighton. A much needed, long awaited necessity, pleasure & luxury. Above all, this is food for everybody with imagination and a desire for innovation... No need to be vegetarian to eat food like this, everybody can eat there. Plenty to eat too, the perfect amount.
Great service, stylish contemporary interior in pale, dove grey, cool music, unintrusive. Can't wait to return.

Visited 13th January 2015

Pros: Original, exquisite dishes, Friendly, efficient service, Stylish, contemporary feel

Cons: Coat stand needed ideally

Posh grub - Edit

Wow! I was very impressed with the Michelin restaurant style cuisine. Beautifully presented and a lot of flavours combining on the plate. Small portions though so you need to order quite a lot.

Pros: Great flavours, Interesting combinations, New ideas

Cons: small portions

Good main courses - Edit

I have been here 4 times but if today's visit had been my first it would have put me off.
I like a leisurely lunch but two and a half hours for two courses is too slow. Perhaps there were staff shortages.
The menu hasn't changed much in the months since I first visited so there is no real reason to go again as I have had all the main courses and there are no specials to ring the changes.
I like to support vegetarian restaurants but this one has to improve to persuade me to visit again.

Pros: Inventive tasty mains, City centre venue

Cons: Very slow service, Unchanging menu

Delicious, inventive food, but expensive - Edit

The restaurant is about one minute away from the Snow Hill Station car park, and so is easy to get to by car.

It's very small, with about six small tables on the ground floor and the same again on the floor above.

Our food arrived quickly, for all three courses (but we were there at 6:30pm, so it wasn't busy), and the staff are friendly.

We had the sweet potato beignet and vegetable tempura to start, both of which were very nice, though the tempura was the better of the two. For mains, all three of us had the battered smoked tofu, which was pretty incredible - the tofu itself was quite dense and extremely flavourful, more like a sausage than tofu, and the surrounding sauces were interesting and complemented the flavour well (however the tofu might be a bit too strong for some - one of our group commented on this). I had a chocolate cake for dessert which was also very nice.

The downside is that the food is expensive, and the portions quite small (however though the tofu main looked like a small portion, it was very filling).

Definitely worth going to.

Pros: Delicious food, Nice atmosphere - informal, Friendly staff

Cons: Expensive, with small portions

Stylish and delicious - Edit

We enjoyed the £14 two-courses-with-wine lunch. Hard to choose from an imaginative menu. Great service, beautiful presentation - a special experience. And the location in the arcade gives a very nice atmosphere in which the bare board floor and simple table settings are appropriate. London prices? Maybe, but an oasis in Birmingham and it's so central! Just round the corner from New Street/Corporation Street and the Cathedral.

Pros: Location, Imaginative menu, Taste!

About time too! - Edit

We had a lovely meal here recently,on New Years day,We were the only people in the place,so it is not easy to judge atmosphere at normal times.The Christmas menu was still available,and we tucked into 3 courses.We had been sent a half-price voucher the day before,so I am not sure if this is why the portions were a bit on the small side? (one Brussels sprout!)Small gripes,awful background sounds from the internet,surroundings very austere,and no herb teas or expresso.That said,they could be serious competition for Terre a Terre,Mildreds and the like when it comes to the food.Not since the wonderful Grapevine in Edgbaston back in the 70/80's has it been possible for veggies to dine so well in Birmingham.

Pros: great imaginative food, lovely location in the arcade, fair prices

Cons: very plain boring interior, need some nice background music, rigid portion control.

Great food...but - Edit

Went a couple of weeks after the opening and it wasn't busy on a Wednesday night.
The service and food was fantastic and the location ideal for us as it's close to Snow Hill station for easy travelling to and from Stourbridge.

My vegan meal was excellent, well presented and very filling, my partner went for a vegetarian option which she thought was great.
Unfortunately, my partner's plate was cold, so the food chilled quickly - however the staff are aware of this and are working on installing a hot-pass.
I would think that any new venue will have teething problems (excuse pun).

It's very pricey considering it's actually in Birmingham, the prices are more London..ouch.

We will definitely be going again, but not too often!
Recommended, though :-)

Pros: Great food, Great Service, Big portions

Cons: Expensive, Limited beers available, Quite stark and cold looking

A city centre restaurant at last! - Edit

I was excited to hear about a new vegetarian / vegan restaurant opening in Birmingham this weekend, and booked a table on its second night of opening. I knew there was going to be a large party booked in upstairs, and thought things might not quite be up to scratch on the second night, but the menu looked too good to wait!

We arrived nearly half an hour early, but we were made welcome and given a table straight away. Impressive range of beers and wines which are all vegan, as well as soft drinks.

Service was fantastic. Within 5 minutes of sitting down our order was taken and the prosecco was poured. The starters came promptly, and they were absolutely delicious. Really innovative mixture of flavours. We can also highly recommend the faux fish and chips. And the pudding! Oh, the joy of going to a restaurant and being able to have pudding! Unfortunately I was too full to finish my delicious cinnamony apply crumble, and had to be helped out - next time I'll be taking some Tupperware with me, as I'm now sadly musing what a great breakfast it would have been...

The Opening offer was 3 courses for £20 which is excellent value. Menus etc. are available on the website - for some odd reason the online Birmingham menu labels things 'dairy free' rather than vegan - they are vegan and we were pleased they had been labeled as such on the actual menu; it makes much more sense.

Bistro 1847 have really got it right. We were very impressed and will definitely be back.

Pros: the starters! Make sure you have one!, Fantastic service, Great drinks list

Return to Birmingham Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has 1847 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 9918 times since Sep 2013.