Bar Zulu

Contact +55-71-87843172

Rua das Laranjeiras 15, Pelourinho, Salvador, Brazil,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Sister restaurant of the Galeria 13 hostel, which is often closed. Many vegan/vegetarian choices - even finding one a rarity in this city, and almost impossible in this historic center. Owned by a guy from Norwich England who understands vegetarians' needs. Just ask the English-speaking staff for any help. Their "amazing-and-crazy-hot" chilli sauce doesn't contain fish, nor does their Thai sauce.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Western, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by kennyp353

Veggie options - Edit

It's a nice "international" restaurant where you can find some vegan options for lunch/dinner. I had rice with grilled vegetables (aubergine, courgette and banana) and it was really tasty although way too pricey! As well as the juices! Staff is very friendly and there is wifi available (good for tourists). They also have a nice terrace in the street. Not so many options but we'll, there are a few and, as others have written here, sometimes you get tired of rice with beans!

Pros: Tasty food, Terrace, Wifi

Cons: Pricey, Very "international", Not that much options

Good food - Edit

As others have said, it can be hard to find vegan food in the Pelourinho at night during the weekends. I was staying at Hostel Galeria 13, which I recommend, and that gave us discounts on the food. I had the massamam curry. It was good, but far from authentic, so I was a little disappointed.

Otherwise, it's in a pretty calm street and the staff is friendly.

Tasty Bahia vegan dishes - Edit

I ended up going here with the previous reviewer, jjo and his family after all of us went looking for Ranga Vegan and found it to be closed for the new year period. I would agree with jjo, these local dishes were really delicious. They are also huge and meant for 2 people so go with a friend (or find some new vegetarian friends like I did). The juices were also very good.

Pros: Local dishes made vegan

Cons: Serves two so not ideal if dining alone, Only two veggie dishes on the menu

good, couple of very good vegan dishes - Edit

Menu carries only a couple of labelled vegetarian options: Bobó, and Moqueca - both happen to be vegan (former done with coconut milk), very tasty, as served along with rice and beans.
Moderate price.

Pros: veg-choices are vegan, big portions, friendly staff

Cons: only 2 menu options

Perhaps the only veggie place in the evening - Edit

Nearby Ramma is lunchtimes-only; this was the only place in central Salvador I found that was open in the evening. There are around 8 starters and 4 main dishes that are vegetarian, I absolutely loved the lasagne, and the Moroccan lentils were great too. The homemade hot sauce is unbelievably good. Staff very friendly - it's aimed at Westerners, they all speak English, indeed my Bahian friend said he felt like the gringo there!

Pros: open late, central safe location, everyone speaks English

Cons: not cheap

Return to Salvador Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bar Zulu closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1042 times since Jul 2011.