Contact 053278315

65 Moonmuang Road / Mun Mueang Road, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 50200

Vegetarian restaurant next to Black Canyon, inside Thaphae gate. Serves food and tea. Relaxed interior with cozy upstairs dining. Current owner since Jan 2010. Closes 1st and 2nd of each month. Mon-Sun 10:30am-8:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Thai

First Review by Lek

Good food, but dirty - Edit

We ordered some nice vegan food and it tasted well. Still not very exciting, but OK. The people seem not very happy with their work.. and the toilet is very dirty.

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-12

Pros: Great balcony, Many healthy food options

Cons: Dirty toilet, Atmosphere

Great thai salads - Edit

I had a great salad made of mushrooms and my spouse had salad with eg. green eggplant (they weren not those small thai eggplants, more like European dark eggplant). Both salads tasted great. They were thai-style and well seasoned.

Since the review above I´m been to Aum so many times and I haven´t been disappointed. Their prices are good, food is good (especially I like salads) and the location is great just next to Thapae Gate. It´s just so hot inside sometimes, but sure air-con would mean more expensive prices.

Remember to order Khao soi vegan, without egg noodles. Khao soi there is a bit too sugary to my taste (khao soi needs to be sweet curry).

Updated from previous review on 2014-03-29

Pros: great salads, good location

best vegan food chiang mai - Edit

Hands down the best vegan restaurant I went to in Chiang Mai. Everything is so fresh and healthy that I could order tons of different dishes and still be hungry (which is a good thing so i could try more things.) Love the fresh rolls, papaya salad, pumpkin and seaweed salad makis, mango sticky rice and the blue rice. This is a must for vegans in Chiang Mai.

disappointing - Edit

Heard a lot of good things about this place but was sadly disappointed by both the service and food here. One member of staff in particular was very rude and unhelpful. Food wasn't great either and was left with food poisoning afterwards.. If from AUM I don't know..

Authentic and tasty food - Edit

Very healthy and fresh food, uses whole grains like brown rice. One thing that we found was that fried dumplings was floating in oil, I know it's fried but maybe it would be nicer without the excess oil.

Pros: fresh , wholesome ingredients, friendly staff , variety of vegan options

not so great anymore - Edit

A few years ago I went there with friends nearly every evening to have a smoothie and a large green vegetable salad. Staff was always really friendly and shortly even remembered our names, which made it really nice and personal. They even made us a bigger salad for a small extra charge.
Went there back yesterday, but wasn't too impressed anymore. The quality of the salad was not that great (greens didn't seem that fresh and there was some avocado peel in my salad) and it looked pretty unappealing when it came go my table. The burger was good but a bit dry and not worth 90baht. The service that was once was so great was now kind of rude and which a mentality of "I don't care".
Aum, you can do better than that!

Best Restaurant in Chiang Mai - Edit

Aum isn't vegan, but they understand what "vegan" means and will easily tell you what is suitable for your preference. Most dishes are vegan though. I prefer oil free dishes, and they will make your order to your specifications, I commonly ordered dishes with no oil, no salt, and even no sugar. Many of the vegetables and fruits used are grown organically at Gasorn's house who works at Aum.

My personal favorites on the extensive menu are, Indian curry soup, red curry soup, fried pumpkin/tofu/basil dish, avocado maki, Indian fried rice, the vegan burger, and pineapple fried rice.

They will make super clean food for you. You can even order a very large simple bowl of plain potatoes, sweet potatoes, or pumpkin.

Pros: Will Make No Oil/No Sat dishes easily, Many Organic Ingredients Used, Friendly Staff/Great English Speakers

Finally vegan dumplings! - Edit

We have been looking everywhere in Chiang Mai for vegan dumplings, and had just given up when we discovered this place. The dumplings were really good! We also ordered some other dishes that were super!
Offers both chair and floor seating. Super cozy atmosphere.

Pros: Dumplings, Large menu, cozy

Cons: Rice for sushi overcooked, opt for other dish

Good for dinner after shopping - Edit

I chose this place for a relaxing dinner after shopping on the Sunday Walking Street.
The upstairs area of this restaurant is very pretty and cozy and just the right place to wind down after a long day. Unfortunately, though, the service was the slowest in any restaurant I visited in Thailand and it took ages until they took my order, then brought my meal, and then brought my drink. Another thing was that it was totally hot where I was sitting, while all the fans were concentrated in another area. Why are there some tables cooled by three fans and others cooled by none? When some of the other customers had gone, I just got a small fan from another table because I was simply getting too hot. I could have asked the staff about this, but they seldom appeared in the upstairs area. When I wished for a second drink, I went down to order because they never came up to ask if I wanted anything else. They were chatting among themselves and I felt like disturbing them.

I had the papaya salad which tasted well, although the portion size was a bit small. It was still a very tasty and light meal, just what I had wished for.

So altogether, I liked the atmosphere and the food, but the service should be improved.

Pros: Cozy and pretty upstairs area, Papaya salad tasted well, Awesome location

Cons: Slow and bad service, Portion size a bit small

very good food - Edit

We were very impressed with the food here. Great range on the menu of both Thai and international food.

Upstairs had more atmosphere so recommend sitting up there.

The food came in a random order but it wasn't a big deal.

Highly recommend the wanton soup and vegetable tempura.

Only issue was the toilet isn't in great condition and didn't smell good.

Pros: location, range of food

Cons: toilets

Worth a visit - Edit

I always come here with friends because I like the vibe of the restaurant if you can get a place upstairs. They have some mats you can sit on and small tables so it feels kind of private and cozy. The food is nice, prices are a little bit high tho. They also offer shakes with soy milk and smoothies. Sometimes it seems as if the staff is overchallenged tho. We once waited 30 mins for some avocado sushi.

Pros: lots of choices of food, vegan , location

Cons: takes time to get the food, expensive

good location - Edit

We stopped in for dinner after checking out the Sunday night market, so the location was very convenient. The menu is large, but not all vegan. We started off with smoothies and dumplings. We tried a noodle dish and various stir fry type dishes. Everything was good. The service was friendly enough too. Worth a stop if in the area anyways.

Pros: lots of vegan options

Cons: not all vegan

Good! - Edit

In this cafe available many vegan dishes.
I recommend vegan tempura vegetables - it was so tasty!
But not recommend indian's curry in this cafe, because better eat indian food in indian cafe.

I like blue rice - so nice and tasty :)
Friendly staff!

Pros: Tasty food, Good portions, Available tempeh

Cons: Not available mock meats

Hughe menu - Edit

Big menu and a lot of options to choose. Friendly people. They made a small gift to my son for waiting :) Thank you!
Is it me or they use too much oil and not a good one?

Pros: the biggest vegan menu i have ever seen

Cons: need to clean more and a small renovation would be

Good food, nice atmosphere - Edit

We had onion rings and springrolls as a starter which were both very good although they came together with the mains. The glasnoodle salad wasn't our taste, tasted only like celery. The beans and mushroom dish with coconut milk was very nice. Very friendly staff! Mango sticky rice was good. Huge menu, took us long to decide :)

Unimaginative - Edit

Quite an extensive menu but many quite unimaginative and Western inspired dishes, to my mind.

The food was ok but not terrific. I think they need a more etxtensive range of meat subs than just tofu.

Pros: Central

Cons: Unimaginative

Healthy, yummy, variety - Edit

I've eaten here several times and tried about 10 things from the menu. I went for a lot of the salads and found them deeelicious! The cucumber salad, papaya salad are great. Thai curries are good. I wouldn't rave about the fresh spring rolls. It's a handy location, love the upstairs dining area. A lovely spot to relax in at the end of the day. My only complaint would be that twice I went in when it was almost empty, and they managed to forget about me! I ordered and it didn't come for ages, and had to go down and ask again. One of the times this happened, even after my order came, one dish never arrived - they said the chef forgot! But anyway food is good and the place has a nice atmosphere.

Pros: yummy healthy food, convenient location, atmosphere, plenty of vegan options

Cons: service can be a little patchy, some things a little pricey

Awesome atmosphere, food is nothing special - Edit

Aum is at a convenient location, just a few steps away from Tha Pae gate. The restaurant has a really cool atmosphere. Sit upstairs for lots of wooden paneling and furniture, colorful cushions, interesting statues and plants, etc. Most seating is on the floor. The menu is large, but a little pricey. Everything is vegetarian, and there are tons of vegan options. I've eaten here twice - The first time I got fresh spring rolls with some sort of spicy mushroom dish. The mushroom dish was WAY too spicy (although it is probably my fault for not telling them to keep it bearable for a western palate), to the point of being inedible. The spring rolls were okay, but I've had tastier rolls at other veg restaurants in town for a lower price. The second time I got the vegan burger, which was quite good, and they even offered me vegan mayonnaise. Overall the food is good enough, but not quite worth the money as it compares to restaurants like Taste from Heaven, where the prices are slightly lower and the food much yummier.

Pros: fun, laid-back atmosphere, friendly staff

Cons: food is just okay, a bit pricey, very hot in the afternoon

Good decent food - Edit

Food is genuinely good. Tried a variety of dishes. Som tam on the sweeter side, tofu laab wet but tasty, and I'd definetly recommend the dumplings. Atmosphere set for tourists expectations on Chiang Mai.
Plus you can have beer with your spicy food!

A tourist's vegan place - Edit

Ate there because two other places were closed. Ordered Indian curry with vegetable and tofu (70B) , brown rice (20B), and mango + mint lassi (60B vegan). Small amount of brown rice has become a profit revenue for some restaurants. Indian curry didn't taste Indian, and veggies meant huge chunks of potatoes and 2 pieces of carrot. Lassi was so-so too.

Was thinking of the place where for about the same price unlimited salad bar, main dishes, fruits, tea are served.

Pros: Centrally located

Cons: didn't excite the taste buds

Always great food - large choice. 100% vegetarian. - Edit

Have eaten here many times. Friendly staff, and GREAT food. Wide variety of choices, and mostly good prices.
Have taken many of our friends/visitors to Aum, and they've all liked it as well.
Hygiene is generally good - but didn't appreciate when the owner changed her baby's nappy (diaper) in the restaurant recently (January 2015) - but other than that, no complaints ever!
Have upstairs seating for relaxing/eating on the floor.

Pros: Amazing food, Great choice, 100% vegetarian/vegan

Cons: Not very comfortable, Owner changed baby's diaper inside shop, Busy street outside

My go-to place in CM - Edit

Ate here almost every night during my two week trip to CM. After the first week the waiter already rememberd my name, sweet!
Everything I, and my friends, ate here was good. My favourites were the different curries (red, green and indian) and the green salad. The sticky-rice-mango is not as sweet as in some other places, but still good. My favourite on the menu was the pineaple-lemon-smoothie; had that always before the food.
They can customize every order and create salads of the menu with what you like. My friends also often ate their own fruits, and the waiter even bought them plates and utensils for this :D
Toilet ok, WIFI works sometimes.
Price a bit higher than average.
Rice portions maybe a bit bigger than in other places, but still I usually ordered three portions, and also the same with the sticky-rice-mango.

Pros: Taste, Staff, Variety and flexibility

Cons: Price

aum. - Edit

super friendly and helpful staff. the fresh spring rolls were delicious. we also had the vegetable noodle soup, which was really good. yes, it was a simple dish but it was full of flavor. we like spicy food and the woman was nice enough to show us and tell us how she makes the chili pastes/powder.

Pros: delicious, very friendly, relaxed

very little and very basic food - Edit

The atmosphere of the place is lovely and the staff is very nice but the food is very basic and not enough even for a women. They have tempeh and spirulina and other helth food things. But over all not a good value.

Pros: nice atmosphere , nice stuff

Cons: very little food, very basic food

Good food - Edit

I really like the food here, and even in a city as vegetarian-friendly as Chiang Mai, it seems to offer some unique things, such as vegetarian wontons and sushi. I didn't see those anywhere else in Chiang Mai.

The decor, I'll be honest, is a little drab and unwelcoming. But the reason that I didn't give five stars, is that I found the staff to be very hot and cold.
Sometimes they were the most friendly people in the world, but others you felt like you were being an inconvenience by trying to pay.

Still, it was mostly good, and I'll come back here when I next return to Chiang Mai.

Pros: Original, fresh, tasty food

Classic In CM - Edit

The Thai dishes are still the best, especially the Kao Soi. But nothing could be called bad. Everyone should try here for the food but also the family friendly atmosphere.

Pros: Kao Soi , Variety, Famiy Friendly

Cons: Seating, Outside Noise

My favourite in Chiang Mai - Edit

First of all the location of Aum is very impressive. Right next to Tha Phae gate, very central and accessible.

I've visited this place frequently, so I won't tell you what I ate and drank every time. I'll just say that the food has always been superb for me.

My favourite dish is the fried vegetables with rice, closely followed by the vegan burger (choose no cheese and mayo) with really chunky potato fries.

They have a large menu, so you will be spoiled for choice. The vegan selections are pretty high too, so if you're a vegan like me you won't be struggling.

I've been told the Indian salad is amazing, so test that out too :)

Staff are always friendly, quick and courteous. Prices are a fairly high compared to a few places in Chiang Mai, but I do think the food is worth it.

Sit upstairs if you can, really chilled out place.

Pros: Great food, Lovely staff, Great location

Cons: Slightly expensive

Wonderful location, good food - Edit

My husband and I had dinner here both nights we were in Chiang Mai, and enjoyed the place both times.

The upstairs is definitely nicer than downstairs- but keep in mind you have to take your shoes off to go up there. Most of the upstairs seating is on the floor, but we managed to snag a table (my husband and I are extremely tall, so floor seating can be painful!)

While it's not the cleanest looking place I've ever eaten at, I'd say it was about average (or slightly above) in terms of what I saw in Southeast Asia. Nothing super dirty, but also not as clean as restaurants in the US or Europe.

The food was really good, although the Pad Thai was pretty underwhelming.

Pros: Awesome upstairs seating, Centrally located

Hippy vibe. Good selection. Needs cleaning. - Edit

Sitting at Aum can be very relaxing or very annoying. It depends who you ask. I kind of like it here, it's nice to sit on the top floor on the floor.
Location is right where everything happens, and inside is a little quieter.
The selection of foods is very good and interesting: from Thai to Western to Chinese to Japaneses vegan and vegetarian versions. Waiters remember to ask you if to add cheese or mayonnaise, which is nice.
The Kaho-Soi is very good, veggie burger is nothing special, fried wanton is tasty.
The food is a bit over priced in my opinion, but the location might caused that.
Toilet - definitely needs cleaning. A nice overall cleaning will benefit the place, which is a little ragged at the moment.

Pros: location, selection of food, hippy comfortable vibe

Cons: not very clean, a little over priced, ragged

Relaxing upstairs floor - Edit

Traditional Lanna Music and cushions make you feel relaxed and comfortable in this vegetarian restaurant. They have a vast selection of Thai food, all day breakfast, sushi, juices, Thai desserts, beers and hot drinks. You can add Spirulina in your drinks for 15 THB and Temphe in your food for 30. I came here twice two years ago and I was not very satisfied about the quality of the food and the size of the portions (also it was a bit over priced). However, this time I had a better experience: my red curry soup with coconut milk and temphe was very tasty and the portion was decent compared to the last time I have been here... I also had a fresh coffee which I really liked. This is not the best and cheapest vegan restaurant in town, but once in a while is good!

Pros: Temphe, Spirulina, Free wifi

Cons: overpriced

Overpriced, tiny portion basic Thai food - Edit

I don't see the hype over this place. I've been to many other vegan restaurants in Chiang Mai and this falls at the absolute bottom of my list.

Portions are extremely small and way overpriced for vegan Thai food. You can get twice as much food at Morning Glory, Happy Green or Juicy4u.

Pros: good service, central location

Cons: overpriced, small portions , basic food- nothing exceptional

Amazing experience - Edit

Absolutely love their food! Came back couple of times during my stay in Chiang Mai. The food is sooo delicious and fresh!Hard to say what was my favourite dish, both green and red curry soups were amazing. Papaya salad is a classic.Green aubergine salad...yum!Delicious shakes with no sugar added. Nice and friendly staff, altough pretty shy.

Pros: Amazing food, Central location, Family atmosphere

Great food and atmosphere - Edit

Aum is great! I think about anything on their menu can be made vegan and they speak/understand English quite well! The location is great and the ambience is very typical/wonderful for northern Thailand. Everything I ate here was delicious

Pros: Ambience , Taste, Location

Cons: Price for amount

Nice spot - Edit

Had a late lunch here on a weekday, smallish portion of tasty tofu larb and generous portion of yummy fried tempeh with a spicy but not overly sweet dipping sauce. They sell some simple natural cosmetics as well.

Pros: Friendly, Fast service , Yummy

A classic in Chiang Mai - Edit

"Aum" is a nice restaurant with friendly and helpful service and great food. I really liked the place and I would get back to it soon - if I still was in Chiang Mai.

"Aum" has all day breakfast and an extensive menu with several vegan options (which are not labelled). The menu is mainly Asian, many classic Thai dishes (veggie version), but also e.g. sushi or some Indian food. In addition they serve some western food, like veggie burgers & chips. Tempeh can be added to any dish on request. Among the beverages available at "Aum" are fresh fruit and vegetable juices, Thai herbal tea and "hill tribe coffee". "Aum" does not use MSG.

I was here only once and I had a Thai curry which was fresh and really yummy, and a fresh coconut juice (the latter is nothing special in Thailand, but it is one of my favorite drinks).

The atmosphere is cozy, relaxed and alternative. There are lots of second hand books upstairs on the second floor, I believe they are for sale, but I did not ask. In any case especially the second floor looks very inviting.

The location is very central, close to Taipae gate and easy to find.

They have also deet-free natural mosquito protection for sale. I did not check that out, but it might be worth doing so.

Pros: great food, variety of food, friendly staff, homely ambience

Cons: vegan food not labelled

Impressive menu - Edit

The menu makes it hard to decide, but it doesnt matter what you take, everything was good that i had. They even had tempeh.

Best Khao Soi - Edit

Delicious food, great prices, easy location. After our first visit, we didn't want to try anywhere else in town as it was SO GOOD! The waitress wouldn't tell us her secret ingredients to her Khao Soi, but she encouraged us to try it elsewhere in town as well (we did, but Aum's was better by a longshot). Really wish we could get Khao Soi at home, or learn how to make it like there!

Pros: delicious, convenient location, khao soi

My favorite restaurant in Chiang Mai. - Edit

The food here is amazing. I ate at this place nearly every single day for a week and a half. The veggie burger and avocado maki were my favourite choices, along with a mixed fruit shake. The upstairs seating area is really cool and something you don't really expect when you walk inside. I visit this place every time I am in Chiang Mai and will continue to do so.

Pros: extensive menu, friendly staff, good service

Cons: none

Aum = Yum - Edit

Easy to find - come into the city centre through Thapae Gate, turn left and walk about 20 yards.
Sweet place with friendly staff, nice fresh fruit drinks and a big menu of food. It was a little bit difficult to be certain which things were vegan but the waitress knew whether things had egg or not.
We've eaten here a few times during our stay in Chiang Mai and had great meals.
We tried indian rice with tofu and kao soi. Have to say the indian rice was not as spicy as expected but there was chilli sauce we could add, and I'm now in love with kao soi and plan to try it everywhere possible!
Other times, we tried their "herbal crispy" dish, which is large green herb leaves dipped in a tempura-like batter and fried until very crispy, served with a spicy dipping sauce. Their spicy papaya salad is fantastic. Hell, even the spring rolls are full of content and flavour!
We had our best meal in Chiang Mai here.

Pros: Kao Soi, Easy to find, friendly

Cons: not 100% vegan

Lovely Thai food - Edit

Yummy! Lovely little Thai veggie restaurant with a nice ambiance and great service. Best Khao Soi we have eaten. Kids friendly place too. Micr extra detail; there are guitar scattered around the place which are free to play.

Pros: yummy food, cheap, great service

Best food I had in Thailand. - Edit

This was the nicest food I had in Thailand, very fresh, healthy and tasty!
The meals are a good size and I eat alot... Other users said expensive but compared to what?... Restaurants on the same road charge similar prices and are not 100% vegetarian and have gross tourists smoking and drinking out the front.

My partner and I shared the burger, gyoza style dumplings, fresh spring rolls, garlic/chilli morning glory, steamed brown (wild) rice and two pineapple/coconut/banana shakes for 380THB... $11US

Everything was amazing.

Pros: Super fresh., Super healthy., Western / Thai / Japanese

broad range of meals - Edit

I have eaten lunch/dinner here many times over the past 3 years and have never been disappointed. Always has brown rice, a nice vegetable meal selection, & sometimes red wine.

No A/C, but several fans. Staff is attentive and service is fast; meals can be varied as you prefer; clean.

Pros: excellent food, friendly

Good Thai food - Edit

There was a change in owners a year or so ago so I think that may explain some of the negative reviews. I think the owner and her family are very friendly. She makes THE BEST Khao Soi(makes a mushroom stock from scratch with barely any sugar-unlike other places], great tempura, as well as other Thai and western standards. No MSG. Its a really calm pleasant environment full of books and a nice change from the standard hole in the wall.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 04, 2011
Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 07, 2011

Pros: Good food, Calm environment, great staff

A Chiang Mai Classic - Edit

Aum is a peaceful spot (upstairs), really central and has a great menu. The fresh spring rolls, the seaweed salad (on the pricy side but it is a big portion), and the soups are my favourites, The staff is kind and the food is value for the money. They have a used books store and sell natural body care products downstairs, their mosquito repellant is great. And they have a big board with the latest yoga and workshop ads, a nice place to go to catch up on news.

Pros: tasty food, info board, good portions

Tasty, good, relaxed atmosphere - Edit

It has changed since 2008! Menu is completely new and prices are on a high side (up to 120 for rolls and 180 for pizza). The portions are still generous. I checked the second floor - it's as cosy as it can be, nothing in Chiang Mai can compare! At least, among veg.places. Food is delicious, staff is quick, very friendly and accomodating. I loved the atmosphere.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 21, 2008

Pros: Location, Staff, Library

Cons: Prices are high

nice, but not awesome - Edit

Good selection of food (Thai, Western, Japanese), cooked well, although servings are on the small side and prices a bit expensive compared to most places in Chiang Mai (cheap compared to other vegetarian places). I went 4 or 5 times, staff was quite slow and wouldn't even smile or talk, except for telling you how much to pay. It was always very quiet when I was there, none of the great atmosphere others raved about.

Pros: good selection, healthy, convenient location

Cons: uninterested staff, small portions, Thai food very westernised

Best Khao Soi Ever - Edit

If you go here you have to have the Khao Soi, it was one of my favourite meals in Thailand, I had it 3 times in a week. YUM!

I did once have the Pad Thai and I wasn't very impressed, perhaps if that was the first dish I tried here I wouldn't have returned. Luckily I had the Khao Soi my first time so I was sold!

The upstairs area is lovely, sitting on floor cushions, beautiful!

Pros: Excellent Khao Soi, Service, Good Value

Cons: Pad Thai not very good

good place/friendly staff/relaxed place - Edit

been there 3 times,good prices, good people, nice food, its not a gourmet food but its simple nice daily food and fresh,support the 100% veg restaurant than the veg friendly restaurant, you can meet always nice people at 100% restaurant and not just random people

Pros: nice juices, cheap prices, fresh food

Cons: variety of dish, none good english spoken staff

Good, standard Thai Veg Fare - Edit

I think the previous reviews were a little harsh. Indeed, Aum is nothing extraordinary, but with all the books(Buddhist I think, but I didn't check) it does feel like a genuine Thai vegetarian Buddhist restaurant, though it clearly caters mostly to a tourist/expat market. Food was standard Thai fare, but cheap and delicious, with a range of fresh juices available as well. Staff were friendly but stayed out the back so I hardly saw them; I had to ring the bell to pay!
Aum will not be the best or most memorable meal you have in Chiang Mai, but if you want a cheap, healthy, filling meal, right in the centre, you can't go wrong with Aum. When I was in Chiang Mai two years ago (before I knew about the happy cow) I ate there nearly every day because it was up the road from my guesthouse.

Pros: tasty and healthy, cheap, centrally located

nothing special... - Edit

we went to AUM twice during our stay in Chiang Mai, not that it's particularly good, but its location is more convenient and the price is reasonably low. there's really nothing special about the menu. i'd prefer may kaidee which is just a few streets away from AUM.

Pros: good price

Cons: menu: nothing special

we love aum - Edit

oh wow. I am surprised at the negative reviews here. I remember reading them before we left and saying to myself - never - but I forgot and found myself there last week. The staff were so friendly to me and my boyfriend - especially the older lady (boss i think) and have continued to be (we eat there most days as it is sooo cheap). Everything we have ordered has been great. The Kausoi (northern curry with noodles) is great and huge for 40 THB. The fried rice was tasty and full of veges also for 40 THB. I guess if you are a raw vege or very particular about tofu or only like 0% oil in your food you may not be happy but if you enjoy a vege burger or a creamy curry you will love the food here. One thing i've noticed about my boyfriend and I... we are not your average vegans.

Pros: good value, tasty food, good portions

A side of sizism with your dinner? - Edit

We ate at Aum several times the first week we were in Chiang Mai, as many of the guidebooks suggest it. Even though the food is wonderful, the staff leaves much to be desired. Our last time eating at Aum, an older manager type women sat at the table beside us and watched my partner and i eat, until she came over and asked us if i had any children. She explained that she thought we had kids, as I was so large (gesturing hugely with her arms). I would rather support a place with a more comfortable vibe and a little less sizism.

Pros: good variety of veg food, good book selection to pass the time, its nice to sit on the ground and eat

Cons: unfriendly staff, sizist staff, staff who stare at you while you eat

Return to Chiang Mai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Aum closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8844 times since Aug 2007.