1 Review

First Review by beancurdled

just a few, good vegan options - Edit

Atomica has been a solid option for coffee for 10+ years and they usually have a vegan apple crumble slice in their sweets cabinet which is reliably tasty. In Fitzroy on a Monday lunchtime when many vegan favourites were closed, I noticed this listing. I can't remember ever sitting down for a meal at Atomica. The corner I sat in was exceptionally dark, which was a bit weird. The little vases of tiny jonquils on the tables made me smile. Vegan options were not listed on the menu as it says here but the waitstaff were knowledgable. On the current menu I think there is pretty much just an avocado smash, maybe a porridge, and zucchini and buckwheat fritters - by far the most interesting sounding option, which is what I ordered. I imagined they'd be made with buckwheat flour so I was pleasantly surprised when crispy fried balls of zucchini and nutty whole buckwheat grains arrived. The presentation was pretty - a long rectangular plate with a thick smear of creamy cashew cheese under the fritters which where scattered with herb and radish salad. With a squeeze of lemon it made a tasty lunch of well balanced flavours and textures. Really enjoyed my lunch but don't imagine I'll eat there again soon - I wasn't excited by any of the other menu items. I noticed an older menu on Zomato with a lot more vegan options that are clearly marked, so maybe that's the one the HC listing refers to. It's a shame they don't offer more for vegan dishes since they do it well!

Return to Fitzroy Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Atomica Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.