CLOSED: Alive! Vegetarian Cuisine - Food Booth

Contact 415-923-1052

1 Ferry Building, San Francisco, California, USA, 94110

All raw food stand at the Saturday Farmers' Market on Saturdays. It's original restaurant on 1972 Lombard Street San Francisco Marina district is on sabbatical (closed) until further notice, as reported to HappyCow. Open .

Category: Vegan

First Review by Yell

Amazing food and quick service - Edit

I spent several hours sitting by the water and returning to the alive! stand frequently. Though food is prepacked/preportioned and not refrigerated it is still fresh and very yummy. Like the easiness of a booth versus a formal restaurant.

Wonderful - Edit

I have only eaten here once with my husband and a friend. The food was absolutely wonderful and very well served. The waitress was so friendly and welcoming. We ate an early dinner and were the only ones there so the close tables around us weren't a problem. We each got an entree and my husband and I shared a dessert, my friend also had a dessert. We all drank water so I was really surprised to see an $85.00 bill plus tip. We enjoyed our food but can't see dropping that much money to go there again.

Pros: atmosphere, vegan

Cons: pricey

Good Raw Food - Edit

I've eaten the raw food prepared by the head chef and owner at Alive!, and I'm please to review it here on HappyCow.

Unfortunately Alive! restaurant has been "on sabbatical" and not opened for a couple years now... However, Alive has a booth a the Ferry farmers market and the owner also participates in veg and food events.

Alive had a booth a the San Francisco World Vegetarian Festival, and they were selling several food items. I had tried a little bit of each, but I didn't ask for the names of the dishes. I think one was a sunflower seed burger with avocado and another was a raw zuchini pasta. Anyways, I remember that the food tasted fresh and quite interesting since it was one of my first trys at raw food - live food. The owner and his staff were very friendly.

Pros: creative, healthy, friendly owner

Excellent and Delicious - Edit

This quaint little vegan restaurant is a great find. They are small but make up for it in a big way with their delicious and creative cuisine. I love their soups and entrees. The presentation is beautiful and the service is very accommodating.

If you go to the Ferry Building Farmer's Market on Saturday, Alive has a booth and sells their food.

Pros: consistent, delicious, fresh

Definetly try it! - Edit

I haven't been to their actual restaurant... I've only bought their stuff from the stands that they have at farmer's markets and the like, but I like what I have had. It is a bit pricey but so is all raw food. The presentation of the food is incredible. The raw hummus wrap is good but it doesn't really taste like hummus so don't eat it expecting it to. It is a huge wrap however and it will fill you up. I haven't had any of their mini pizza looking things, but they look tasty... maybe I will try one the next time I see one of their stands.

Alive! - Edit

I'm not a big fan of raw vegan. If you're in San Francisco's marina district, I would suggest strolling down a few blocks to The Plant Organic Cafe. The Plant isn't a veg*n restaurant, but it has a few vegan options......the wasabi burger is fantastic!

Tiny..with a Coconut Disaster - Edit

The food here is okay. It isn't horrible and it isn't the best stuff I've ever eaten. The appetizers were something I could've made at home (a bruschetta type o' thing)...for the price...I shoulda. The main course portions were small, and the flavor was nothing to write home about. I was more excited about ordering dessert than anything else. First let me say: I do not like coconut. I detest it. I cannot help it..it's just part of my make-up. So, when I ordered dessert I was assured the key lime cheesecake sans 'coconut whipped cream' didn't have any coconut near it. When I got it..I took a huge bite into...a coconut filled crust. I blurted out 'this is disgusting' which could be heard by all because it's a really really tiny restaurant. I felt bad..it's just my personal opinion about the coconut, but the waitress had no clue what was in the dessert. If you don't think it's a big deal..just imagine a food you hate..and it secretly showing up in your dessert or main entree. Not good, right? The other dessert was a chocolate pie with tart cherries. The chocolate was so bitter..that the tartness of the cherries left a 'just brushed my teeth then drank orange juice' taste in my mouth. The dining room was dark..romantically lit..which is funny because there is no chance of romantic talk in here unless you're the only ones there. The seats filled quickly and the room became warm..then hot. The door was left open to let in a cool breeze, but a woman complaied that she was cold..the waitress chose to shut the door for her and the rest of us suffered..not in silence. I heard complaints on my left and right. Although my husband and I were seated at a table alone..the other tables are pushed so close together it's more of a communal dinner feeling. So..if you like talking to strangers while eating (c'mon..I know some of you do)..and coconut..this may be a good spot for you. I know everyone's taste buds are different.

Pros: raw food, vegan

Cons: pricey, claustraphobic, coconut w/o warning.

Alive - Edit

Extremely small servings at outrageous prices. For such a tiny amount of food you would at least expect it to taste good. At which point you would be greatly disappointed. Being a pure vegetarian restaurant, I am unable to give this a 1/5, but I sure wanted to.

Cons: extremely overpriced, small servings, not tasty

Good food, slow service - Edit

The food here is good-not great-but good. Lacks dimension, but presentation is great. The tables were so close and the place so quiet I felt like everyone could hear our conversations. We had the pumpkin cashew creme sauce with shiitakes and zucchini ribbons. Awesome-but the highlight was the mushroom salad with miso sauce. Definitely get a cheesecake slice!

Pros: small,quaint, organic,raw

Cons: slow service, ambiance lacking

Only tried at the Market - Edit

I tried an open-faced hummus sandwich at the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market...and it was HEAVEN! For only $4, the raw food was completely worth it.

The desserts look amazing. Can't wait to try.

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Alive! Vegetarian Cuisine - Food Booth closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5984 times since Aug 2007.