Ain Soph.Ginza

• Friend
03-62284241

4-12-1 Ginza, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, Japan

Ain Soph's first restaurant, est. 2010, is located in Ginza near Higashi Ginza station. Re-opened 2016 after refurbishment, the ground floor now features a vegan sweets shop which is open til 9pm daily. The second to fourth floor is the restaurant where plant based Japanese French fusion meals and seasonal desserts are served. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, International, Japanese, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, French, Fusion

First Review by jacqui

Delicious food - Edit

Enjoyed a delicious meal, (carrot soup and mixed box). Everything was fresh and light. The wait staff attentive and accomodating. Will go back again.

Pros: Fressh food, Attentive staff, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Small, only seats 12 so there could be a wait

Wow! - Edit

Pricy but amazing!!!
Try it before you leave Japan.

Delicious, inventive food - Edit

We had a fantastic dinner at this intimate restaurant in the Ginza district.

We had a vegan cheese fondue as a starter, which was served with bread as well as a variety of vegetables for dipping. We then shared a vegan Spanish omelette and soy nuggets. All the dishes were well cooked and thoughtfully presented.

The highlight of our meal was dessert - we shared a wonderfully creamy vegan cheesecake and a helping of pancakes. Both were delicious and they were the best vegan pancakes we found in Japan (we tried a few!).

Only downside was the price - even for Tokyo standards, this place seemed a little expensive

Pros: Inventive, Atmosphere

Cons: Price

Good, honest vegan food - Edit

Small restaurant in a side street in ginza. Although closing lunch at 14.30 the staff greeted us and made lunch especially as we had come all the way to eat. Shared 2 bento boxes, 3 rice dishes, some drinks and pancakes between 4 people. Plenty of food! The tastes were more Indian than Japanese, and the food was beautifully presented. However, it did take almost 1 hour before our food arrived, but seeing as they made is especially for us I think this is not the normal case. Menu quite small, and drink menu large. The pancakes are as good as they are made out to be! Also tried some other tasty desserts, all vegan. As the restaurant is located in ginza it is on the pricier side.

Pros: Nice presentation, good portion size, Nice flavours, friendly staff, English menu , Good desserts

Cons: Expensive, a bit slow , Hard to find, Not mind blowing in terms of flavour

lovely lunch - Edit

We had a lovely lunch consisting of the Bento Box and the mushroom brown rice. All delicious. It was quiet and peaceful and staff were very friendly and helpful. We'll go again.

I miss old Ain Soph - Edit

I went to Ain Soph. Ginza for the first time few years back and loved it back then. Unfortunately with every visit, the portions are smaller and more expensive and the service slower. Today I had a box of several sides, which costed almost 4000 yen and felt more like a small appetiser. I ordered bread as a side, and got two tiny slices of baguette, each slice costing 200 yen. I made a mistake of ordering hot tea after the meal, which costed almost 1000 yen for a glass that was half of the usual glass size. The food is all right (although I still don't get the tortilla wrapped in foil, served with cheap tasting nachos), but when you order a normal sized meal, it gets expensive.

Pros: Lots of vegetables, Good for romantic dinner, Good location

Cons: Tiny space

Nice place - Edit

The interior of this place is so nice! The menu wasn't in English, and the waitress didn't speak fluent English, but this didn't bother me because I knew the whole menu was vegan so we just pointed at something, which turned out to be a bento box. The food was good, but on the expensive side approx $50AUD for 2 including tea (we shared the bento box). They also have desserts like tiramisu and takeaway treats like biscuits and granola which looked yum.

Pros: Easy to find, Fully vegan menu, Nice staff and beautiful interior

Cons: No English menu

Mystical - Edit

Many apps, magazines, tourist guides and websites list Ain Soph Ginza as the number 1 vegetarian restaurant in Tokyo. Many reviewers say they never even got in because one needs a reservation. Others tried to find it, but never succeeded. So I didn't even try to eat here. However, yesterday we stumbled upon it by accident and there was a table available, even without having reservations. Lucky us!

The architecture of the building is wonderfully weird. It has many half floors. The kitchen is spread over two half floors and the guests sit at three different levels. The waiter actually has to go outside to building to bring food to guests at the second and third floor.

So how about the food? It makes it all worth while! The menu (both in Japanese and English) has lots of variety and even the pictures look tasty! I had the "nutty dry curry" and my friend had an actual curry. We shared a plate of fried fake meat. This was a high calorie choice, we both needed some energy. Ain Soph also offers many low calorie dishes.

The taste was absolutely superb. The ingredients are all fresh and high quality. The cooking is done exactly right with no excess oil or dressing, thereby enjoying the pure taste of the ingredients themselves. I now understand why people make reservations ahead. Now I understand why people search so hard to find this place!

Pros: great taste, English menu, healthy choice

Cons: hard to find, very busy, reservations recommended, not the cheapest choice

Nice place, good location, a little pricey - Edit

First off, the first time we tried to eat here it was shut, so they have recently changed their opening times. On the door it says 11 - 4pm with last orders at 4pm. We got there just after 4 and although it was full of diners, they had the door shut and closed sign hanging. When we returned another day we saw from the menu that they serve the lunch menu until 3pm then a 'tea' menu of cakes and snaks only until 4pm.
A similar menu to their branch in Shinjuku which we also ate in, a sweet pleasant location and always very busy. Staff again were pleasant and friendly and food delicious. It is a bit more expensive but the food is delicious and quality very high.

Pros: pancakes!, location in Ginza, friendly staff

Cons: bit expensive

set menu - Edit

I have to disagree with some of the great reviews this restaurant has gotten. I thought the food was way overpriced. I understand that the location of the restaurant is really central and the interior was definitely pretty. But the dishes or their presentation weren't anything special. I ordered the set menu for lunch for 3,900 yen and nothing in it was great. Everything tasted fresh but the portions were really small and you can get better vegan food at many places. We also got a bag of vegan donuts to go for 700yen and they weren't awesome either.

Pros: vegan, pretty interior

Cons: not value for money

Great restaurant! - Edit

My boyfriend and I had a bit of a date-night splurge at this restaurant - and it was well worth it!

We actually didn't book - I didn't read reviews that said you should - and it was a week night so I thought we would be okay. However it was pretty busy and we were lucky to ge ta table so I would recommend you book.

The restaurant is beautiful with a lit up spiral staircaise out the front so you can't miss it.

We sat a table on the second floor and the ambience was wonderful! Perfectly lit, nice music and just perfect.

We ordered a couple of beers and glasses of wine as well as 7 courses to share between us - every dish was just wonderful. Tasted great and perfectly presented!

Highly recommend checking out this place :)

Pros: Ambience, Food, Service

Cons: Ginza is a bit out of the way

elegant little place - Edit

Easy to find. Food menu in English and the friendly staff spoke some English too. I had a set menu which was filling enough for dinner. Not a cheap meal but what I would expect to pay for this part of town and style of food.

Pros: Nice food, English available, easy to find

Good food - Edit

This was our first trip to Tokyo. We don't speak any Japanese and were finding it a little bit hard to communicate about how to veganize dishes at other restaurants. So it was a relief to find a place that was already vegan.
There was one server who could speak some English. We mainly pointed at what we wanted to eat. We got a couple of appetizers and dishes to share. From what I remember, we had tortilla with salsa, a tofu omelet, fried soy meat, curry rice and a couple of other things that my currently jet lagged brain cannot remember. We also had dessert which was a caramel mousse/cake and a chocolate brownie.

The presentation of the food was really nice and the service was fast. The food tasted fine. I think that we were so glad to find vegan food that any shortcomings were forgotten.

The price wasn't that bad, but we have lived in really expensive cities and so I found it to be quite reasonable.

Pros: Good location, Good service, All vegan

Ain Soph! - Edit

Rustic interior, very cute restaurant. Don't walk up the stairs to get in; you have to walk through the front door. There was this idiot couple that walked up the stairs in front of all the diners (ahem, it was us).

We ordered the vegan omelet, fried soy meat, Japanese rice with vegetables, and the tomato mushroom dish. All were delicious! The staff was very friendly and helpful. The chocolate dessert with ice cream was also yum, as were the drinks!

They take credit cards!

Pros: Vegan, Delicious, Staff

Cons: Smallish portions

Woderful food and service - Edit

We enjoyed a wonderful mean at Cafe Ain Soph this evening. It is located next to the huge construction site for the new Tokyo kabuki theater in Ginza, an easy walk from any of the near by hotels or the Ginza or higashi-Ginza subway stations.

As noted elsewhere, there is no English menu but there is one with sketches. And one of the wait staff turned out to have excellent English speaking skills and helped us make our choices. We shared an order of vegan wheat tortilla (humus, avocado, greens and olive oil-based salsa) and roasted seasonal vegetables followed by a lovely vegan kiwi tart. Reasonably priced and carefully prepared, this is a great option if you are staying anywhere hear the Ginza Chiyoda or Minato wards).

Pros: Excellent food , Great location, Good value

Cons: No English menu

disappointing - Edit

Sometimes on review sites you wonder if previous reviewers visited somewhere different to you as your experiences of a place are so discrepant. Ain Soph Ginza is one of those places. We visited here recently and were bitterly disappointed. The food was bland, the prices extortionate and we would never come here again. Yet, everyone else here thinks it is great! Not so on Trip Advisor where the reviews are more like ours. In contrast to other people, we did not find this place difficult to find. The people are extremely welcoming and very helpful indeed. That was where the good points ended. The menu is short and there were various meal sets which we thought we too pricey or contained items we really didn't fancy. I can't really see the appeal of wraps/sandwiches in a meal set for example... We settled for individual plates. The deep fried fake meat was, well, deep fried fake meat. No attempt to dress it up in any way. Fair enough. The tofu omelette was tasteless and had a jelly-like texture. Evern worse, it was accompanied by tomato ketchup. The mushroom casserole was another bland and tasteless offering. There were some redeeming features - the salad of the day was cabbage leaves stuffed with noodles, like a Vietnamese spring roll but with cabbage. This was really tasty. We also shared a dessert as our "mains" had left us starving and this was also really tasty. The drinks list was extortionate. We opted to try some saki with peach flavouring. It was nice enough but excessively sweet. Overall, the most amazing thing about Ain Soph Ginza was how expensive it was for what it was. Value for money it was not.

Delicious! - Edit

I ate here twice for lunch whilst staying in Japan in March 2013. I found the location was very convenient for shopping in Ginza and the staff were very helpful and welcoming. I found it very easily following the map on the Ain Soph website, which I printed off. It was on a main road and you go in the side door (not up the exterior staircase). Both visits, I sat upstairs in the same seat! It was quite busy both times.

I went on a Sunday for lunch and had a set meal, which was salad to start, followed by tomato soup, rice and some chargrilled veggies which were cold. I also had a tea and selection of desserts. The salad was lovely - it came in a tall glass with some crudités on top. You were given a dip, made of vegan melted cheese (which I had never had before, and I was licking the bowl clean it was so good!), and a dressing. The soup made a nice change from miso, and the rice was nice but the vegetables were nothing special. The tea was full of flowers and was quite sweet and flavoursome, and the desserts were delicious - a piece of cake and a scoop of ice cream.

I then went back for lunch on a weekday and the same lunch offers were not available. I had the salad, which I thoroughly enjoyed again, followed by a Hayashi Rice plate, which was a tomato based stew - very delicious! I had a small sweet, of matcha cake and tea.

The restaurant had a very calm feel and was spotlessly clean. Being on the top floor meant service was a tiny bit slower, as the waitresses didn't see when you finished, but I was in no hurry and it was still fast by Western standards.

They have a small selection of cakes and donuts to take out. I didn't try any, but the donuts looked a bit dry.

It was quite expensive, but probably not for this part of Tokyo, and it was all fresh and healthy and very filling.

Pros: Great location, Friendly and helpful staff, Delicious food!

Cons: Expensive

Address Is On The Website - Edit

4 - 12 - 1 Ginza, Chou-ku, Tokyo

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ain Soph.Ginza closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.