Today’s Meatless Monday post comes from Kelly at Kindfood in Ontario. Their food is wholesome, nutritious and delicious! They hold a strong 5 Stars on HappyCow! Check out the interview we did with the owners a few weeks ago. They share one of their customer favorites, the Buddha Bowl, filled with all kinds of goodness.
BUDDHA BOWL (Gluten Free and Vegan)
This recipe is so easy!! There’s no excuses to try this best seller out from Kindfood. The benefits of eating brown rice are notorious. In a strict macrobiotic or vegetarian diet, it is considered the primary source of sustenance.
6-7 cups cooked organic brown rice
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp wheat free tamari (or a little more)
2 tsp DRIED basil
4 tbsp diced tomatoes (1cm dice)
4 tbsp diced red onion (1cm dice)
½ half sweet potato sliced and then quartered
4 tbsp FRESH cilantro sprinkled
4 tbsp raw organic sunflower seeds
1/4 cup raw organic almonds
1 whole organic avocado sliced
Topped with about 3-4 sunflower sprouts on each bowl
Make organic brown rice according to the packaging. (I would suggest using 3 cups of brown rice to 6.5 cups of spring water and this will make you plenty). This should take about 45 minutes of cooking time or pre-cook the rice the night before and simply warm up the rice in a skillet when needed.
Slice and then quarter the sweet potato and place in a hot skillet to cook and brown. Grill for about 5 minutes until brown. Keep warm. Once rice is cooked, divide the hot brown rice between 4 large soup bowls.
Now this is the easy part:
1. Drizzle the olive oil and the tamari over the rice bowls. (1 tbsp on each bowl and ½ tbsp tamari- to personal taste)
2. Sprinkle the bowls evenly with dried basil. (1/2 tsp on each bowl)
3. Top with diced tomatoes and diced red onions. (1 tbsp on each bowl)
4. Lay about 6-7 pieces of sweet potato over each bowl. (1 tbsp on each bowl)
5. Scatter with chopped fresh cilantro over top. (1 tbsp on each bowl)
6. Now sprinkle 1 tbsp of sunflower seeds on each bowl.
7. About 7 raw almonds are now sprinkled on each rice bowl.
8. Garnish with about 3 slices of avocado and sunflower sprouts on each bowl.
This is your simplest dinner ever! It also keeps well for a brown bag lunch to be eaten at work or at school.