Zakaim - Vegan Boutique

Contact 03-6135060

Simtat Beit HaSho'eva 20 (at Alenby 98), Tel Aviv, Israel,

Opened by the two sisters and one brother of the Zakaim family in spring 2013. Offers food made from local and seasonal products. The restaurant, built and designed almost entirely by the brothers themselves, is an ecological space where all of the materials, dishes and furniture are secondhand. Try the hand-torn potato chips with house-made ketchup. Mon-Thu 6:00pm-12:00am, Sun 6:00pm-12:00am, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-12:00am

Category: Vegan, Western, Beer/Wine, Bakery, Israeli

First Review by Gony

over priced and disappointing - Edit

Came here twice and both times left feeling I was being cheated paying way over what I would expect for such dishes and quite frankly it wasn't worth it.
It's to bad they need to rethink and make it more inviting and affordable.

Went there twice in three days - Edit

During my planing for our israel tripin october this year I have noticed that I have forgotten to review this place, I have visited in 2014 and it has absolutely earned a great review!

My girlfriend and I went there twice in three days and couldn't get enough of the food they serve there.
I can not describe what type of food they realy prepare. It is some mediteranean/persian mix based on vegetables and it is just great.
Whatever we ordered (and we tried to eat as much as possible), we where thrilled!

Maybe the only negative thing could be the service. If you are avaiting some waiter dressed in black and white accompanying you to your table, you will be disapointed. It is the typical israeli chaos, but whenever we asked for some advice, we got a very friendly help. Actually after a short moment of insecurity (hey, we are germans and used to niggling organization) we felt completely at home.

I'm looking forward to our visit there this year!

Pros: Fantastic food, Nice stuff, Nice vide

Great food, great service. Can not say enough about how amazing Zakaim is. So many amazing choices & great help from the wait staff to figure out what we should order. Everything was truly amazing.

Pros: great food, great service

Just not a hit - Edit

I get why people love this place. But ultimately it's about how good your meal is; the rest is gravy --so to speak, sorry for the idiomatic English. We started with a special: roasted cherry tomato and pea pod salad with grated faux Parmesan. That cheez was beyond belief delicious. Wow. But it bugged me that they didn't bother to trim the stems off the pea pods. I get that they're so fresh, you don't have to show me by leaving stems on. Husband got the mushroom shawarma dish which was really great. He loved it. (63 shek, so s bit pricey). I was interested in a dish with a spicey tomato sauce but the waitress warned that it was fairly hot so I switched to a roasted eggplant with tahina that she said was less so. But it was quite spicey and I told her it was a problem. Her English was just ok, but she sent over the manager. He was very nice and instead of taking it away he said "would some extra bread and tahina help?" I liked that because I really hate waste also! I ended up taking most of it home. She even told me the dish was hotter than usual that night. I have to say the HUGE loaves of fresh bread are awesome! So was the tahina. In Israel if you want to add a tip to your CC when paying you have to tell them the amount. We told her to add 16 shekels but she added just over 15% which was annoying. That would be an extremely high tip here. It was so awkward but we had the charge redone. So it wasn't the best experience ever for us.

Great Vegan Spot - Edit

Fantastic service and fun food. There were so many good options on the menu, we mostly took the server's recommendations. They kindly adjusted spice levels for those in our party who don't go in for heat. They were also trying out a new dish, Bread Steak (so named because the experience of eating it is like steak, although it's really more of a bread salad) and they brought our table one on the house. Definitely try the creative house cocktails.

A very special experience - Edit

Wow, I just loved everything about this place. The food, the people, the sustainability idea, the whole concept. I went there twice and ended up trying almost everything on the menu! I love the fact that chef Haral Zakaim who is supernice and communicative doesn't use any processed products in his meals! Loved the mushroom shawarma, the fresh polenta with cashew yoghurt, the winter soup, the persian rice dish, the apple strudel, chocolate mousse..just don't miss it - it's amazing!

amazing! - Edit

This place is the most precious gem in the entire vegan world. The food is delicious, made with love and supports multiple local businesses and vendors. The atmosphere is relaxing and unpretentious. It's a family business and they make everything on the spot. Always my first choice for lunch or dinner.

amazing hand torn fries - Edit

We loved the eco concept and service. Fries were amazing! Mains were disappointing - under seasoned and too much oil, even though the ingredients were very high quality (like beautiful wild mushrooms). Cocktails were excellent too.

Good But Not Great - Edit

It was hit and miss for us. Some items had nuanced flavors, others did not. Very creative kitchen, but didn't hit it out of the park for me. Service was uneven. Suggest making a reservation, especially on a Thursday night.

Pros: interesting food combinations

Cons: uneven service, outdoor seating = smoking area

Feel welcome and at home! - Edit

Zakaim is a really great place. Whoever said it's pricy, is definitly wrong. They have an offer for lunch where you get a drink, a starter and a main course (cheapest one for 55Nis). Even if you go there outside of lunch time, the price is totally worth it.

You can see them all working hard to create those delicious meals. Try their homefries! Do it! Don't question, don't ask why, just do it! You won't regret! My favourite starter is still the Kohlrabi with fresh Watermelon/Strawberries and cashews. They change the menue from time to time (guess new main courses ever week?) so go there as often as possible.

If you have troubles to choose or wich starter fits the best or you need to avoid something, Hani can help you or anyone else. Very friendly and helping. They all speak a perfect english.

They work for us even on Shabbat so we can enjoy they food at anytime! But don't forget to call and make a reservation if you are planning to go there on Shabbat. They are fully booked for a reason!

I met a new friend there! Thank you for that! See you next year!

Something really special:
They work only with fruits, veggies, grains etc. and don't use fake meet, don't try to rebuild meaty dishes. They are creative with veggies and it tastes so great!No fast food, but served fast.;) Oh and they make their own soymilk!And you can always see the quality of the veggies and fruits they use and see how they are cooking. They cook everything fresh and only if ordered.

5 Happy Cows is not enough for Zakaim, they are on a whole new level!

Pros: Excellent food for a really fair price, Very friendly staff, Beautiful place to be

Cons: little hidden

Best vegan food in israel - Edit

The best chef restaurant in Israel. offers very good authentic food (Persian-Israeli).

Pros: amazing food, nice authentic atmosphere, great staff

Cons: a bit expensive, close at sundays

Excellent vegan cuisine in Tel Aviv! - Edit

I went with some friends and had several dishes including the farrakekh, Jerusalem style salad and Arabic flatbread pizza. All were excellent and it was great having so many options and not needing to worry about making sure things are vegan.

Gourmet Vegan - Edit

A great gourmet 100% vegan experience for vegans and non-vegans in a casual atmosphere. This is plant-based eating at its very finest; each dish has its own unique and very special and delicious flavors. My personal favorite was the fresh and fabulously seasoned Caesar salad. At Zakaim, a new Israeli cuisine is emerging; come here for an exciting culinary adventure!

Gorgeous presentation - Edit

I loved the presentation of food here. Everything looked stunning. I also loved how all the produce was displayed and that the kitchen was entirely visible. It felt like I was dining at someone's house.

I ordered the roasted eggplant dish, which was amazing. My non-vegetarian friends were equally happy with the food. Mazel Tov!

Only downside is their coffee was not good - very weak.

Pros: Presentation, Atmosphere, Food

Cons: Coffee, Expensive

Excellent central located restaurant - Edit

Funky interior and staff, open kitchen, not cheap but also not expensive figure NIS 150 per person with a bottle of wine. 1 page menu, dishes easily shared, loads of fresh produce, friendly staff, closed on Sunday (this is owned by a Christian). Small outdoor patio (closes earlier due to noise restrictions). Overall a fun vibe in a nice setting with good choices.

Rustic, flavourful, middle eastern - Edit

The interior already makes you feel nice and homey. Its a total mish mash of different furniture, plates, cutlery... but in a good way. It's extremely hipster. The food is full of flavour.

I went there twice and tried quite a few dishes. One dish I wasn't over the moon about was a mushroom dish with spring onion and lima bean puree - the mushrooms tasted burnt.

Otherwise I recommend the smoked wheat with dates and nuts and the tomato soup with basmati rice. It's nice and fruity and the rice gives it some nice bite. The hand torn fries are also very good, though not for health-food enthusiasts. It would be great if you could get a smaller portion of them because if you want them as a side, you'd have to be at least two people to finish them.

Two small thing I would criticize is 1) the lack of different textures in the dishes. Flavourwise everything is spot on but everything might seem a bit on the mushy side. You could eat every dish with a spoon. 2) The timing - All dishes on an order start getting prepared when the order comes in and that means there might be quite a big difference in time before dishes reach the table. It can be a bit of an offset, especially if there are only two people at a table and you have to jealously watch your partner eat on his/her own because he/she doesn't want the food to get cold.

Dessert-wise I only tried the chocolate mousse which was very good. I just thought that the desserts seemed quite expensive.

Otherwise the pricing seems fair. It is more of an expensive venue but it's worth it once in a while (not every restaurant has to be cheap)

Pros: Comfortable, Flavourful, rustic food, Nice staff

Cons: Lacking textures in food, Timing

Vegan Heaven - Edit

Folks, it doesn't get much better than this. Really. Having searched for and eaten Vegan in 5 Continents, I can pleasantly avow for the wonderful quality of food and atmosphere in this Gem of a Restaurant, Zaka'im, which under one translation means 'the worthy ones'.
I have never tasted a better head of broccoli - simply roasted in a paper wrapper, or sipped a better strong, cold drink - ground almonds, pureed dates and Arak - served well chilled with a bit of ice. Perfect.
The menu was creative and sumptuous, leaving us full but not bloated, as oil was used sparingly and bread served only upon request.
The atmosphere was hip and friendly, the outside serving area completely informal, allowing for smokers to hang out as well.
We shall return....
ps the home-made green hot sauce of peppers and lemons was superb and came as a sample on our dish. We promptly requested more and enjoyed every morsel.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday October 09, 2013

Pros: Food, Ambiance , Creative drinks

Cons: some Retro, uncomfortable chairs

Delicious, amazing meal! - Edit

We really enjoyed our meal last night at this restaurant! The server was helpful and translated the menu and told us the specials; the food came out quickly and it tasted sooo good! I was afraid the food would be boring, but each dish got better and better. I especially recommend the Cashew Mousse with Pomegranates and pears-to die for!

Pros: friendly servers, fresh, original food, delicious

Cons: got a little smokey

The very best in TLV - Edit

Just off Allenby, taking the abandoned place of Tel Aviv's once celebrated lesbian bar called Minerva, Zakaim is with no doubt the Queen of vegan restaurants in Israel. You got to start with an almond-arak cocktail! While you're sipping the liquid heaven, the open kitchen gives you the opportunity to see how the professional and friendly chefs burning the hell out of the tomatos and obergines for their signature tomato soup, or their famous eggplant dish - which comes with a chunk of sweet chala bread. Surprisingly the most incredible dish is the most simple one: the fried potatoes. They are so crispy, so heart and tummy warming, that they'll take you back in time and space to the home of your Israeli grandmother (you might never head).

disapointment - Edit

Place is nice, dacore is nice service is good but the food is not tasty.
Very expencive but untalented in the kitchen.
Tied it a few times only do be disapointed time and again.
Will not come back.

Pros: nice vibe

Cons: Not tasty, very over priced, Dull menue

Return to Tel Aviv Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Zakaim - Vegan Boutique closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7549 times since May 2013.