Zakaim - Vegan Boutique

Contact 03-6135060

Simtat Beit HaSho'eva 20 (at Alenby 98), Tel Aviv, Israel,

Opened by the two sisters and one brother of the Zakaim family in spring 2013. Offers food made from local and seasonal products. The restaurant, built and designed almost entirely by the brothers themselves, is an ecological space where all of the materials, dishes and furniture are secondhand. Try the hand-torn potato chips with house-made ketchup. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Mon-Thu 6:00pm-12:00am, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-12:00am, Sun 6:00pm-12:00am.

Category: Vegan, Western, Beer/Wine, Bakery, Israeli

First Review by Gony

Not Consistent - Edit

We have been here many times over the past few years and loved the place and the food, although always too oily and salty. The creativity with the food is wonderful.
Yesterday we were there and all our breads and food was burnt which in itself it very unhealthy to eat black burnt food. The hostess was very rude saying this is how it is always cooked and they must burn the flat bread and put oil on everything. She was not listening to anything we said, such as we have been here many times before and never had burnt food. She was literally angry and upset with us for pointing out the burnt food. We didn't recognize the wait staff maybe they are new but the cooks were not and the food was all burnt.
We have brought friends and groups here over the years to introduce them to vegan food, but we will not return again. This experience was so counter all the other and overall they just didn't care what we said, and I believe the staff was just not informed. When a place is consistent then there are none of these issues, so I dont know either they always burn the food and the past 20 times we have been there we got luck and it wasn't burnt, or this one time it is burnt is really the way they cook? Tel Aviv has so many options but I hope this place will educate their staff and cooks to stay consistent hopefully with not burning the food.

If they go back to non burnt food it is very tasty but a meal only to eat once a month with how salty, rich and oily it is.

If they keep burning the food then it is not worth it at all. As we paid a lot of money last night for burnt food and no understanding that this is not acceptable food to eat.

Pros: ambiance, open kitchen

Cons: inconsistent, oily, burnt and overly salty food, staff uninformed and unwilling to listen

Delicious Vegan Food - Edit

What a wonderful place in Tel Aviv. Really delicious, wholesome vegan food. The Persian stew was hearty and so tasty. Loved the atmosphere. Everything well balanced in flavour and seasoning. The focaccia is outstanding too. Definitely try the apple crumble.

Pros: Fresh, Homemade , Beautifully seasoned

Cons: Took a long time to get our order taken and even l

מסעדה מצויית - Edit

האוכל טרי טרי. הכל נעשה במקום. שיפוד פטריות היער מצויין.
די יקר אבל שווה מדיי פעם

Pros: אוכל טוב מאוד

Cons: קצת יקר

nice place but not as expeted! - Edit

I enjoyed the food, but found it a bit expensive concerning the taste and experience! Liked the service and enjoyed the chillout 80s music! ;) Thanks for the great time and love to you! Keep up the good work!

Pros: service was great and happy, interior and things look great

Cons: less taste in food (saltiness is not a question)

over priced and disappointing - Edit

Came here twice and both times left feeling I was being cheated paying way over what I would expect for such dishes and quite frankly it wasn't worth it.
It's to bad they need to rethink and make it more inviting and affordable.

Went there twice in three days - Edit

During my planing for our israel tripin october this year I have noticed that I have forgotten to review this place, I have visited in 2014 and it has absolutely earned a great review!

My girlfriend and I went there twice in three days and couldn't get enough of the food they serve there.
I can not describe what type of food they realy prepare. It is some mediteranean/persian mix based on vegetables and it is just great.
Whatever we ordered (and we tried to eat as much as possible), we where thrilled!

Maybe the only negative thing could be the service. If you are avaiting some waiter dressed in black and white accompanying you to your table, you will be disapointed. It is the typical israeli chaos, but whenever we asked for some advice, we got a very friendly help. Actually after a short moment of insecurity (hey, we are germans and used to niggling organization) we felt completely at home.

I'm looking forward to our visit there this year!

Pros: Fantastic food, Nice stuff, Nice vide

OMG - AMAZING VEGAN EXPERIENCE - Edit

Great food, great service. Can not say enough about how amazing Zakaim is. So many amazing choices & great help from the wait staff to figure out what we should order. Everything was truly amazing.

Pros: great food, great service

Just not a hit - Edit

I get why people love this place. But ultimately it's about how good your meal is; the rest is gravy --so to speak, sorry for the idiomatic English. We started with a special: roasted cherry tomato and pea pod salad with grated faux Parmesan. That cheez was beyond belief delicious. Wow. But it bugged me that they didn't bother to trim the stems off the pea pods. I get that they're so fresh, you don't have to show me by leaving stems on. Husband got the mushroom shawarma dish which was really great. He loved it. (63 shek, so s bit pricey). I was interested in a dish with a spicey tomato sauce but the waitress warned that it was fairly hot so I switched to a roasted eggplant with tahina that she said was less so. But it was quite spicey and I told her it was a problem. Her English was just ok, but she sent over the manager. He was very nice and instead of taking it away he said "would some extra bread and tahina help?" I liked that because I really hate waste also! I ended up taking most of it home. She even told me the dish was hotter than usual that night. I have to say the HUGE loaves of fresh bread are awesome! So was the tahina. In Israel if you want to add a tip to your CC when paying you have to tell them the amount. We told her to add 16 shekels but she added just over 15% which was annoying. That would be an extremely high tip here. It was so awkward but we had the charge redone. So it wasn't the best experience ever for us.

Great Vegan Spot - Edit

Fantastic service and fun food. There were so many good options on the menu, we mostly took the server's recommendations. They kindly adjusted spice levels for those in our party who don't go in for heat. They were also trying out a new dish, Bread Steak (so named because the experience of eating it is like steak, although it's really more of a bread salad) and they brought our table one on the house. Definitely try the creative house cocktails.

A very special experience - Edit

Wow, I just loved everything about this place. The food, the people, the sustainability idea, the whole concept. I went there twice and ended up trying almost everything on the menu! I love the fact that chef Haral Zakaim who is supernice and communicative doesn't use any processed products in his meals! Loved the mushroom shawarma, the fresh polenta with cashew yoghurt, the winter soup, the persian rice dish, the apple strudel, chocolate mousse..just don't miss it - it's amazing!

amazing! - Edit

This place is the most precious gem in the entire vegan world. The food is delicious, made with love and supports multiple local businesses and vendors. The atmosphere is relaxing and unpretentious. It's a family business and they make everything on the spot. Always my first choice for lunch or dinner.

amazing hand torn fries - Edit

We loved the eco concept and service. Fries were amazing! Mains were disappointing - under seasoned and too much oil, even though the ingredients were very high quality (like beautiful wild mushrooms). Cocktails were excellent too.

Good But Not Great - Edit

It was hit and miss for us. Some items had nuanced flavors, others did not. Very creative kitchen, but didn't hit it out of the park for me. Service was uneven. Suggest making a reservation, especially on a Thursday night.

Pros: interesting food combinations

Cons: uneven service, outdoor seating = smoking area

Feel welcome and at home! - Edit

Zakaim is a really great place. Whoever said it's pricy, is definitly wrong. They have an offer for lunch where you get a drink, a starter and a main course (cheapest one for 55Nis). Even if you go there outside of lunch time, the price is totally worth it.

You can see them all working hard to create those delicious meals. Try their homefries! Do it! Don't question, don't ask why, just do it! You won't regret! My favourite starter is still the Kohlrabi with fresh Watermelon/Strawberries and cashews. They change the menue from time to time (guess new main courses ever week?) so go there as often as possible.

If you have troubles to choose or wich starter fits the best or you need to avoid something, Hani can help you or anyone else. Very friendly and helping. They all speak a perfect english.

They work for us even on Shabbat so we can enjoy they food at anytime! But don't forget to call and make a reservation if you are planning to go there on Shabbat. They are fully booked for a reason!

I met a new friend there! Thank you for that! See you next year!

Something really special:
They work only with fruits, veggies, grains etc. and don't use fake meet, don't try to rebuild meaty dishes. They are creative with veggies and it tastes so great!No fast food, but served fast.;) Oh and they make their own soymilk!And you can always see the quality of the veggies and fruits they use and see how they are cooking. They cook everything fresh and only if ordered.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? RUN AND GET SOMETHING TO EAT AT ZAKAIM!

5 Happy Cows is not enough for Zakaim, they are on a whole new level!

Pros: Excellent food for a really fair price, Very friendly staff, Beautiful place to be

Cons: little hidden

Best vegan food in israel - Edit

The best chef restaurant in Israel. offers very good authentic food (Persian-Israeli).

Pros: amazing food, nice authentic atmosphere, great staff

Cons: a bit expensive, close at sundays

Return to Tel Aviv Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Zakaim - Vegan Boutique closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.