CLOSED: 'Za

• Veg-friendly

Contact 317-602-3753

801 Broad Ripple Ave (at N College Ave), Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, 46220

Serves meat, vegan options available. Reported Sept 2012 no longer offering vegan cheese, and the pizza crusts contain honey. The only vegan suitable items might be salad and breadstick, or build-your-own pizza without cheese. Please ask management to offer more vegan choices. Reported closed to HappyCow, June 2015. Closed Sun.

Category: Lacto, Pizza, Fast food, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by SirJustinian

Decent pizza...but not worth the money. - Edit

I ate here a while back with a non-veg friend after a night out in Ripple. I was super excited to try Za, because it's one of the only places in the city that offers vegan pizza choices (you know, beyond "veggies" and "no cheese"). I knew that there was honey in the crust, which I don't normally eat, but as another reviewer mentioned, I was willing to overlook it since the owners had gone out of their way to provide an option for vegan diners. Especially since they didn't skimp in the cheese department (they opted for Daiya instead of soy cheeze, which sucks in my opinion).

The pizza was so-so. I wasn't wowed, but it was pretty good and it was just what I wanted at the time. The biggest drawback: the price! It cost me a small fortune to get a few toppings, because most of the vegan options (and the best veggies) are considered premium toppings (and are priced so).

My friend was not impressed with his pizza, but we did enjoy sitting at the window bar and watching people go by at 3am.

*For any readers out there who are averse to honey, I HEARD they have changed their crust to be honey-free now. I am not certain on this, though. I will be contacting the owner to find out if I plan to eat there again.

Pros: Daiya and other vegan topppings, great location, late hours

Cons: price, food is only so-so

Vegan? - Edit

I give these guys a ton of credit for taking the step to reach out to vegans, as this doesn't happen often in Indianapolis. The pizza is great. The Daiya cheese melts and stretches. The crust is good, but it does contain honey. I personally do nut eat honey, and haven't for years, but I was willing to make that small compromise, since they were willing to use Daiya vegan cheese. Hopefully they will give agave nectar a try as a substitute some day. One of the toppings is listed as Morning Star Farm's Crumbles, and I don't think those are vegan (contains whey and/or eggs, maybe.) Sometimes they can add fresh herbs on top, which is great twist. Definately worth a try.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, veg friendly

Cons: limited seating, honey in crust

Great vegan pizza - Edit

stopped in here while in town for a convention. This place is definitely worth the visit. Owner says a friend talked him into adding the vegan pizza option to his menu. I have to say a hearty thank you to that friend. Pizza was delicious and the hand made crust fabulous. Hearty size left plenty for a snack on the way home. Staff was very friendly and the premises spotlessly clean. Highly recommend you stop in while in Indy.

Pros: Vegan pizza, great staff, great location

Return to Indianapolis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: 'Za closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2106 times since Aug 2010.