Xu's Cooking

01-5231091

Kaiserstraße 45 (at near Westbahnhof, Area 7), Vienna, Austria, 1070

Taiwanese restaurant and buffet near Mariahilfestrasse shopping district. Offers a la carte menu and lunch buffet. Menu is vegan-friendly and consists of some mockmeat dishes. Location has a beautiful garden. Open for lunch and dinner. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-3:00pm, Mon-Sun 5:30pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Buffet, Take-out, Taiwanese

First Review by carnilius

Good plan B restaurant - Edit

The buffet is a good deal (price wise), especially since you can see the food beforehand and choose what you want. However, if you go there for dinner or you simply chose an item from the menu, it can become pricey. The food is not particularly amazing and every time I went to Xu's, it gave me the impression that they (deep) fry almost everything in oil and/or add glutamate to some items. Xu's is always a plan B option for me, in case I happen to be nearby and hungry or if for some reasons other veggie restaurants are closed.

Pros: Easy to veganize everything

Cons: They could improve their interior design

One of Viennas best value for money restaurant - Edit

I recently ate lunch at Xu's Cooking and had the buffet. There was a large choice of mostly vegan dishes and the buffet was continually re-stocked. It was my most reasonably priced lunch of the trip and one of the most delicious.

The sushi and the dumplings were my favorites.

The staff was very friendly and attentive. The interior and decorations are on the plain/basic side, perhaps not the most stylish place in the city. For those on a budget who want a great value for money and want to be full when they get up from the table, this is a great place to visit.

Nice dinner and service (but lots of mock meats) - Edit

We had a nice dinner here. Non-vegan options clearly indicated on menu.

Although no fan of labelling and especially shaping vegan foods as ‘fish’ or ‘chicken’ (I understand it lowers the treshold for people wanting to try vegan dishes, but I also think it perpetuates the objectifying view on animals, seeing them as ‘edible parts’), the food in itself was nice.

Service was also friendly and swift, and although the interior was a bit depressing and dull, everything seemed clean (toilets also).

Wrote a review about it on my blog: https://brugesvegan.com/2017/02/10/xus-cooking-vienna/

Pros: friendly and swift service, lots of variety on menu, vegan, good value for money

Cons: lots of mock meats

Usual Chinese Fare - Edit

We ate in this place because it was convenient for where we were staying. There's a huge choice of dishes, lots of mock meat, and service was fast & friendly. I really enjoyed my dish (mock-chicken in pepper sauce) - it was good for the price and certainly no worse than I've had at other Chinese restaurants of the same ilk.

The one thing I didn't like about it was that we were seated in the outside dining area, where other people around us kept lighting up & we could smell cigarette smoke throughout our meal. This does seem to be the norm in Vienna though so perhaps we can't blame the restaurant for that. In retrospect I might have asked to sit inside, away from the smoke.

This is a good place for reliable, cheap Chinese food with lots of mock meats, and it's pretty good value for the price.

Pros: Huge choice, Good value , Good food

Cons: Cigarette smoke outside , Not many vegetables in the noodle dishes

Excellent value for money - Edit

We visited on a Sunday and although we first wanted to order à la carte, the buffet won us over: a lot of choice and most dishes were vegan for a very reasonable price. The sushi and the dumplings were delicious, as was the pan fried mock meat and some dishes with tofu and aubergines. The dessert choice was also wide, although mostly for vegetarians, not vegans. We found the overall quality to be very good and the staff to be very friendly and would definitely recommend a visit.

Pros: Very good value for money, Rich and varied buffet, friendly staff

Cons: Not very central

Fast service, good variety - Edit

I was in a rush, hungry, and I saw the signs for this place, so I came in for a quick lunch. I was happy with variety of dishes in the lunch buffet, not every dish is a winner, but some are. It depends on your taste. There was this fake chicken curry dish that didn't win me over--but there was a mushroom dish I grabbed another platefull. The lady was so cute, I don't she realised I was in a rush when I paid, she asked me, "you do know it's all you can eat." (I already ate three plates). After I typed her well she even wanted to give me a take-away box to take some food home. So adorable. The lunch buffet is also on weekends, and a great deal. I haven't yet ordered from the menu.

Pros: Good variety in lunch buffet, Well priced

Cons: No evert dish is a great

Typical tasteless Chinese food - Edit

One thing I cannot criticize this place for is offering you a great selection and price value. When I was there I tried the buffet since I wanted to taste everything they had to offer since everything seemed diverse. However later I ended up regretting it because most of it [edit by staff] tasted just cheap. The problem is the excess use of oil batter, msg, salt and soy sauce in their food. Noodles especially were difficult to swallow due to that. A lot of the deep fried stuff tasted very similar and nothing tasted fresh or different most of the time. If you are not picky about Chinese food I guess this is your place but if you want some effort put into your food and your taste-buds you should avoid going eating here.

It could be that their single meals taste better than their buffet. That is a possibility but after tasting at least 20 different types of stuff through the buffet I was just disappointed. The reviews do not really reflect the quality of the place. Avoid this place at all cost if you do not like cheap bland Chinese food. I have eaten a lot better Chinese food and this was just disappointing.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 05, 2013

Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 05, 2013

Pros: Location, Price, Selection

Cons: Taste, Generic, Salty

An unexpected treat - Edit

An excellent evening. Ambiance, service, food,

Never want to eat anywhere else - Edit

This restaurant was so amazing. I was solo traveling for the first time, to vienna last week and felt homesick. on my second day i ate here and all was cured, seriously this food was so delicious that i just forgot my worries. now that i am home again, i am looking forwardvto visit vienna again just for this food!
i had the lunch buffet. lots of options and all of them delicious.

Pros: cheap, amazing food, friendly staff

Cons: none

Perfect asian food. - Edit

The first thing you notice upon entering this restaurant is the amazing and authentic asian atmosphere and the friendly staff. Even though it is actually a vegetarian restaurant, the possibilities for vegans are numerous, which is not something you see in every vegetarian restaurant. The food was amazing, the portion sizes huge, and all that for extremely cheap prices - an all around great experience!

Pros: Amazing food, Friendly and forthcoming service, Cheap prices

good restaurant - Edit

i like xu's cooking very much, although i prefer ordering à la carte, because the buffet is not that special in my opinion.
but we sometimes choose xu's (at midday) for family or birthday meetings, because the buffet and also the garden is good for kids - relaxing for the adults ;)

Pros: various choices (ordering from the menu), garden, friendly staff

Excellent - Edit

We visited it twice, and were so happy we discovered this place. On both occasions we used the "all you can eat" buffet (check out their website for buffet hours, they also function as a regular restaurant). It was a great relief to us to be able to try many unknown dishes (but totally safe from meat) and discover new foods. We really stuffed ourselves with everything from appetizers, main dishes, salads to desserts, and chose from dozens of dishes. And for a very reasonable price. Also, they have a very nice terrace. If we ever visit Vienna again, we'll definitively come to Xu's!

Pros: Value for money, Diversity

Great Asian food - Edit

This is one of my favourite vegan restaurants in Vienna! They have a really big choice of many different vegan dishes including fake meat. Everything I ate there was quite good!

The prices are totally okay for the portions and the staff is very friendly.

So if you are a vegan of Chinese food in vegan version, you have to go there! :)

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff, fair prices

Great vegetarian Chinese Buffet, many vegan option - Edit

XU's cooking is a vegetarian buffet place that offers both a la carte and buffet lunch and dinner.

The food might not necessarily be very healthy, but it definitely is tasty. I have been there a few times with meat-eaters, and they enjoyed the food and were impressed. Also my kids liked the choice and the taste, which is not often the case in vegetarian or vegan restaurants.

Staff are friendly and knowledgeable as to which options are vegan, and they make a delicious coffee with coconut mil,.

Pros: Great taste, good variety, Many vegan options, Price moderate

Cons: Some food might not be very healthy

YUMM - Edit

Delicious lunch buffet at a very good price.
It is hard to stop eating, everything is so good.
I have eaten a la carte too and have never been disappointed.
Definitely worth a visit.

Pros: great lunch buffet, good value, large variety of dishes

My pig out restaurant in Vienna - Edit

I've tried only the lunch buffet so far. It's cheap, the food is delicious, there's a great variety, and only a few of the dishes aren't vegan. The staff is friendly and there's always somebody who speaks English.

The receipts are weird though (hand-written and only numbers, no item names) but the food is cheap, so I have never felt ripped-off.

Pros: delicious food, great value, friendly staff

Our most beloved restaurant - Edit

Great food, nice staff, nice atmosphere, almost everything is vegan! (Truth told, we don´t understand why they need those few vegetarian dishes? Everything else tastes just fine :o)) No glutamat, which is somehow standard in Vianna's chinese restaurants.

Pros: Plenty dishes, meat substitutes

Very good - Edit

Everything Vegetasia done wrong, Xu's does right :)

They have a huge load of dishes, much fake meat, but much genuine vegetable dishes too. Not everything is vegan, but they tell you right away.

Try Mixed Starters, Grilled Jiao-Zi, Mango Curry Chicken and the great Aloe Vera Cocktails (non alcoholic).

Never tried the buffet so I cannot judge.

Pros: Many many dishes, Good fake meat, Outdoor garden dining area

Cons: Restaurant is very dark

Return to Vienna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Xu's Cooking closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.