Wild Leek

Contact 902-210-5335

2156 Windsor St, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada,

Small vegan restaurant with 18 seats, opened May 2013. Focus is on seasonal local ingredients. Food is made in-house, and juices & smoothies are made to order. Has daily specials alongside breakfast food and Saturday brunch. Mon 9:00am-5:00pm, Tue-Wed 9:30am-5:00pm, Sun 9:30am-5:00pm, Thu-Sat 9:30am-8:30pm

Category: Vegan, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery, Canadian

First Review by Genevieveflan

Good food but busy spot - Edit

Three of us ventured there for lunch. We shared the fritters and they were very tasty. I had the wild bowl and it was excellent. Including the outdoor seating, seating is only for 20 people and we had a wait to get seated. Along with the busy takeout, it was loud. Despite the busy and loud, go for the food.

Pros: Great food, Friendly service

Cons: Busy

All day brunch - enough said - Edit

This is without a doubt my favourite vegan restaurant in Halifax. I go there frequently and often and I am never disappointed with the food! It is a quaint restaurant with interesting art and an earthy feel. I recommend everyone to visit and enjoy the pleasant atmosphere!

Pros: fresh local veggies , good bang for your buck, lots of tasty treats

Cons: service can be a little slow

Totally fine, except could be less plain - Edit

So the thing to praise here are definitely their sweets. The vanilla cupcake I had there was stunning, and that's not overstated in any way.
But the more nourishing stuff wasn't bad as well. I had a soup, a donair wrap and a juice, from which the wrap was particularly mentionable, whereas the soup was somewhat meh.
I liked the light design of Wild Leek, although I wouldn't be eager to stay for very long, stay for socializing reasons, other than just for eating, since the interior is somewhat formal and the tables and chairs not very comfy.
Friendly staff, what I appreciated.
Worth a visit!

Poutine&DragonSauce - Edit

Okay, so

The first couple of times I visited the Wild Leek I LOVED it! The owner was a sweetheart, the atmosphere was nice and the food was full of flavour- it was a winner.

My favourite thing is the poutine. Its so much more comparable to traditional poutine then you'd think. I usually get this with a kale salad and a side of dragon sauce.

The dragon sauce; hot damn, its delicious.

The smoothie with parsley in it was so different but so shockingly good.

My visits lately have been irked but a bizarrely cold and snooty server so I haven't been for a little while. lol Despite the varying service, I will be back!

Happy Eating! xx

Pros: Poutine, Dragon sauce, Parsley smoothie

Cons: Quite salty! Keep the water coming!, Service, Sometimes quite slow

Excellent restaurant - Edit

It was a very pleasant discovery. One of the best vegan restaurants I've tried so far. Worth it.

Pros: Good menu choices, Good portions, Friendly staff

Cons: Music a little bit loud

Best poutine ever!! - Edit

My boyfriend and I went to Wild Leek for the first time this weekend and were pleasantly surprised!!! Their poutine was out of this world good and their brownies are seriously unbelievable! I'll definitely be going back

Must stop in for desserts! - Edit

The Wild Leek is one of my favorite places because it's affordable and the food is delicious.

I haven't tried their smoothies and juices, but I have stopped in for brunch and treats. A meal is around the $10 mark and there is a wide selection of gluten-free options. The last time I went, I had a breakfast burrito made gluten-free. It was full of fresh peppers and lettuce with homemade "sour cream" and was served on corn tortillas (I haven't had a tortilla that good since my visit to Central America).

I love their baked goods. The portions are very large and I usually cannot finish them in a single sitting. I highly recommend the cupcakes and Nanaimo bars.

Edit: Since my review, they have included evening hours later in the week.

Updated from previous review on Monday November 25, 2013

Pros: awesome baked goods, good value

Cons: hours of operation

2 Responses

Little Ambiance, Great Food - Edit

My wife and I had Borsht soup of the day, salad and coconut bacon wraps. It was delicious. A vegan quiche was on the menu, but not available today. We were anxious to try it as the other food was so good. Great quality food in a somewhat spartan setting. Good service. Overall, a very pleasant experience.

Pros: Delicious Fooc, Good Service

Cons: Somewhat spartan

Alright place - Edit

I went here near when it first opened. I had a good meal, it's a bit expensive, but there's a lot of selection (much more than the other vegan restaurant).

It's a very white and sterile looking place - some colour would make it more comfortable and fun. The desserts are pretty awesome [edit by staff].

I've been in for a smoothie as well - the person assumed that I would just want it to go and put it in a plastic cup. I try to live without using plastic and didn't even think to ask for it in a glass cup since most places do that - and I would expect a vegan restaurant to be conscientious of these issues. That was disappointing, as well as it being a small smoothie and costing 7 bucks, very overpriced.

I like the idea of this place but I think it has a far way to go. I like that they try to use local products - such as acadian soy, but then they do other things like only using white bread for sandwiches - bought from the chain store super market down the street - and I feel like locally baked bread is very easy to find and that whole wheat options should be available.
Updated from previous review on Sunday September 01, 2013

Pros: Good selection, Some local products, Nice staff

Cons: Not always local, Uncomfortable atmosphere, A bit expensive

Great Find near Halifax Common! - Edit

I was very happy to find this little gem while I was staying in Halifax for work. I was even happier to open my Veg Out App and find this delightful Vegan foodjuice bar only a 5 minute walk from the Atlantica where I was staying.
The restaurant is small and sparsely decorated, but don't let that fool you. The food is fresh, tasty, original and absolutely delicious.
We started with a fresh juice made with beets, celery, apply and lemon. Perfect. The we had the daily special, a 'sloppy joe'. But instead of using fake meats to create this masterpiece, she used pinto beans in a rich sauce with what seemed like crumbled tofu, covered with fresh herbs and her own tofu sour cream which was probably the best I have ever tasted. It came with a side salad, wonderfully prepared with gorgeous swirls of carrot and beets on top. The best part of the salad was a mildly sweet onion/dill creamy dressing....best salad dressing ever! Delicious!
We ordered some food to go for later. I had the CBLT wrap. The CB stands for coconut bacon....wow...amazing. It went so well with the fresh juicy tomatoes, lettuce and wonderful creamy mayo. It also came with a side salad. I was glad because I wanted more of that dressing! I finished it off with an orange chocolate cupcake that was moist, tasty and perfectly sweet.
I encourage people to go to this wonderful spot, support this business owner and eat eco-friendly and sustainably.
Well done. I will be back every time I am in Halifax, I will bring more friends and I will tell all my friends to visit!

Pros: Fresh, local food and great location, Original preparation, Wonderful taste

Cons: Not in my home city!, Smaller restaurant with little ambience

Thank goodness it's vegan! - Edit

So happy to have a vegan resto in Halifax. It is just hitting up onto its feet, so the menu is pretty sparse still...but everything ice eaten has been delicious. The juices are lovely.

Pros: Excellent vegan option, Juices are tops, Super friendly

Cons: Small menu

In Love - Edit

I was very excited to visit the Wild Leek. I just moved back home from the Yukon and had heard there was a new vegan restaurant opening. I finally got there today. It's a very cute little restaurant and the staff was very friendly. I really liked the sweet waiter we had. I had some delicious coconut pancakes complete with fresh fruit and my husband had a bean burrito also with fresh fruit. We both got one of the delicious homemade lemonades they have to offer. I had the beet lemonade and my husband the strawberry. And for dessert, a carrot "juiced" cupcake which seriously was probably the best cupcake I've ever had in my life. Melt in your mouth, so full of flavour. A wonderful first visit, I can't wait to come back!

Pros: All vegan, Friendly staff, Delicious

great food, great prices - Edit

This is a new, vegan restaurant in Halifax. Luckily for me, I got to celebrate my birthday there last night with my family. The food was amazing!!! Quiche to die for; spanakopita, ban something-or-other sandwich tastier than all get out and lovely fresh salads locally sourced. Even the meat-eating members of my family were impressed and said they'd definitely go back again. The atmosphere was relaxed and the staff did a fine job in the service department, even though they are in the early days of smoothing out the crinkles from setting up a new business. And, the main meals averaged $10. each which is remarkable. The portions were substantial, and the desserts were unbelievably tasty. I advise anyone to check it out. Fine vegan dining in a cafe atmosphere with a more than reasonable price tag.

Return to Halifax Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Wild Leek closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4728 times since May 2013.