Wild Ginger - Bedford Ave

Contact 718-218-8828

182 N 10th St, Brooklyn, New York, USA, 11211

Makes a variety of Asian dishes, including different mock meats. Previously located on Bedford Ave, July 2015. Confirmed open, Sep 2015. Open Mon-Thu 12:00pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-11:30pm, Sun 12:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Delivery, Take-out, Pan-Asian

First Review by jkbartol

Reliably decent Asian-fusion - Edit

Nice spot for a lunch special, food is tasty, and they offer the spectacular Peanut Butter Bomb from VeganTreats which keeps me coming back. I wish they'd tighten up their menu to specialize in the stuff they do best. There's a big emphasis on stunt meats which is great if you're into that (I am, for the most part). Overall, it's a reliable go-to but not a place I'm dreaming of for days afterwards.

Pros: Quick service, great for a lunch break, Clean, pleasant decor, Peanut Butter Bomb on dessert menu

Cons: Scattered menu

Good Asian Improved more Vegan desserts and shakes - Edit

On Bedford did not have the vegan options they now so new location better options when it comes to desserts and shakes. My favorite the Indian samosas with chutney.

Nice to have lunch special options.

People don't seem to know Wild Ginger on North 10th so the place is not crowded.

Update went back stew better!!!!!!!!
I had the stew -- the potatoes could have been a little more cooked but good food.
Wild Ginger could do more to get the word out there here.

Bathroom A plus for cleanliness.
Updated from previous review on Monday November 23, 2015

Pros: clean bathroom, no problem getting a table , nice space

Cons: side street yes you have to walk more and up a sid

Good pan-Asian vegan food - Edit

I love the lunch specials at Wild Ginger. Everything I've tried has been good-great with my favorites being: sweet citrus soy protein, mango soy protein, and seitan skewers. I do wish they had more tofu items and less soy protein items or gave you the ability to sub tofu for soy protein. The wait staff is pleasant enough but not overly friendly and you may have to waive them down for your check.

Pros: Good food, Inexpensive

Brooklyn Vegan - Edit

This is one of my and my husband's favorite vegan restaurants in Brooklyn. We have dined in and enjoyed their delicious lunch specials and ordered take-out for dinner. They recently moved from their old location on Bedford Avenue, where the ambiance was beautiful (seating in back under skylight), so I cannot comment on the new location. Highly recommend the mock meats, sweet citrus protein with kale, Singapore mai fun noodles, curry stew and yam tempura. They also have VEGAN Thai iced teas which are a definite must. Service is prompt and efficient and prices reasonable (for NYC). Definitely check them out if you find yourself in hipster Brooklyn.

Pros: Delicious Mock Meats, Lunch Specials, Vegan Thai iced tea

Good Food, Mediocre Service - Edit

I've been to the Wild Ginger Café on Bedford Avenue a few times and would generally recommend it. If you're not into fake meats, this may not necessarily be the place for you. If you do, however, go for it!

I've tried a few dishes and enjoyed all of them. I really enjoyed their lunch deals because you can get a healthy, green meal that leaves you full for less than $12 including a decent tip! The lunch deals come with a soup or spring roll, brown rice with (soy?) beans in it and whatever you ordered. Everything I had there was really tasty, steaming hot, and just overall enjoyable.

While the food was great, the waitresses were usually very busy playing/typing on their phones. I don't really want people to touch their filthy phone and then carry the plate with my food. Meh.

Pros: Great Food, Good Value

Cons: Mediocre service

Disappointed - Edit

I've been to their Manhattan location before and had an incredible meal there but this Bedford location realllly fell flat!! I couldn't believe it. The food was impotent of flavor and creativity, the staff was bla se, the prices high, portions small and bottom line - food was not awesome. Might try the CG location down the line but super disappointed with my experience here. Also, they were playing lame music. I'm going to go cry now..

Cons: Overpriced, Poorly flavored, Meh staff

Very good food in pleasant atmosphere - Edit

After viewing their photos of meals served at this restaurant we decided to lunch there. Easy to get to, as adjacent to Little Italy. We had Passion-fruit tea (ok) and lemon ginger beer (excellent) followed by 2 entrees. Sietan satays were good, the King oyster mushrooms superb (could be taken for calamari deep fried in a golden tempura batter). presentation and taste of all items excellent, waiter service fast and professional. Cost US$49
Updated from previous review on Saturday September 06, 2014
The address I have is 380 Broome St, at the end of Little Italy

Pros: taste, variety, presentation

tasty and beautiful food - Edit

I was in this restaurant 2 summers ago and loved, loved, loved it!The atmosphere and the place were very pleasant, the staff friendly, and the food great. All the dishes me and my friends ordered were delicious, came in good portions and were beautifully presented -they were even decorated with flowers!!
I especially enjoyed the lytchee sorbet I had for dessert, it had just the natural lytchee flavor and didn't have too much sugar, it was just perfect :)

Pros: nice place&atmosphere, friendly staff, tasty&beautiful food

Cons: none

DON'T MISS THIS PLACE! - Edit

I promise you will want to eat here every day. Meals are big, so easy to split with someone (especially if you're getting an appetizer to go with your meal). Tons of delicious veggies and vegan meats. Order a beer if you like. You won't believe their homemade sauces. WOW. Great location and even though it doesn't have a ton of tables (no place in this area really does), there's rarely a long wait. EAT HERE!

Pros: Excellent sauces , Fabulous wheat meats, Lovely atmosphere

Cons: A touch expensive but worth it

Best vegan food in Brooklyn - Edit

Without a doubt the best vegan food in Brooklyn and for a great price! Everything I have had there is amazing. The Sweet Citrus Soy Protein with kale is amazing! And I am not usually a fan of sweet citrus flavors, but this is amazing! In fact, everything I have had here is great.

Pros: Delicious, Great price, Great location

Wild Ginger - Vegan Warning - Edit

FYI this applies to their Cobble Hill location, but seems like it could apply to all their locales - their soy cheese is NOT vegan, it has casein (milk product) in it. It's not marked on the menu as such, I had to ask for them to read their soy cheese label. They were happy to do so, but I just wanted to warn anyone having (for example) the soy cheese-stuffed wontons at a "vegan" restaurant. There was also an item marked as having whey (milk product) and you should specify whether your thai iced tea/coffee is made vegan or non-vegan. Hope this helps!

perfect - Edit

we intended on eating at foodswings this afternoon but failed to check their hours before venturing out... they were closed and we wandered around aimlessly looking for something to eat (we're from out of town and didn't have a plan b.) we somehow ended up at wild ginger... the sietan skewers were AMAZING! my husband had the curry lunch special and was thoroughly pleased. i had the orange sietan and couldn't have been happier. everything was cooked to perfection, the waitresses were quite attentive to our needs, and the restaurant was spotless. needless to say, we were quite pleased to have ended up there and will certainly be going back.

Pros: delicious, great service, great selection

Cons: a bit expensive

A+ - Edit

My vegan girlfriend and I stumbled into Wild Ginger to get out of the rain and had dinner there. We loved it so much and the dinner menu completely rocks. I am looking at it now and there are 16 different appetizers, 11 soups and salads, 18 mains, and 13 noodle and rice dishes. I had the pad thai and my girlfriend had the orange seitan. Both meals were filling and REALLY delicious. Most Asian veggie places rely on their sauces to sell a bland meal of tofu and veggies but WG was inventive with their courses as well as their sauces. For example, the orange seitan wasn't like normally processed seitan with a sesame orange sauce, it was lightly breaded and sautéed and served really crispy. Someone put a lot of effort into crafting this menu for sure because the same goes for the sweet citrus soy protein with kale, sweet and sour sesame soy protein, and avocado salad.

The real cool thing about this place is that the lunch specials start at noon and go until 4:30 with 15 menu items to choose from at $5-9 and it includes miso soup, spring roll, and rice. We just drink waters and our total is $16.29 for the both of us. The ambience is pleasant too making it a nice place for a date or friends. Out of all the cool veggie places near Bedford, this one is definitely the best in all aspects, food, cleanliness, and price.

Do it dude. You won't regret it.

Return to Brooklyn Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Wild Ginger - Bedford Ave closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3116 times since Aug 2007.