West Town Bakery and Diner - West Town

773-904-1414

1916 W Chicago Ave, Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60622

Serves meat, vegan options available. Old school diner and bakery with a glass-walled kitchen where you could watch the kitchen. Has street-side cake building station. Vegan menu choices for sandwich, pancakes, waffles, granola; also could modify a few of the vegetarian items. Makes some vegan bakery goods. Prior to Aug 2012 was Bleeding Heart Bakery and Cafe (different ownership). Open Mon-Thu 7:00am-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 7:00am-10:00pm, Sun 7:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Bakery, Non-veg

First Review by makemenervous

Go to the bakery, avoid the diner! - Edit

I work near here and never dropped in until recently. I was impressed with the selection of vegan baked goods. I walked in expecting a muffin and left knowing that there are at least a dozen options for me. Bagels, brownies, cake balls, donuts, cupcakes, muffins, cookies, etc.

I had the vanilla-chocolate donut and the banana nut muffin as well as some yummy Dark Matter coffee with soy milk.

I was ecstatic so see they serve a vegan soup of the day as well as grilled cheese, pancakes/waffles, and biscuits and gravy. I will be coming back for brunch sometime in the near future and I'll make sure to update when I do!

Protip: items with the white label are vegan (at least that's what I was told so certainly double-check!)

Updated from previous review on Saturday January 16, 2016

EDIT: I had to lower my rating after eating off their diner menu. I ordered the vegan loaded griddle cheese, my husband ordered the vegan biscuits and gravy, and we shared the vegan soup of the day. The soup was almost unbearably salty. My sandwich was inedible - it honestly tasted like melted plastic. Some of my fries had the flavor as well. I don't know if it was from the oil it was cooked in or what, but it was truly awful. The biscuits and gravy were ok, but nothing to write home about. They came with hash browns and a side of tofu marinated in soy sauce which were decent, but did not go with the meal at all. I honestly don't know how anyone in the kitchen could create these dishes and feel comfortable sending them out to the public. I'd have been less insulted with a salad-only option.

BAKERY - 4 stars
DINER - 0 stars

Pros: vegan-friendly, clearly labeled

Cons: diner food was inedible

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has West Town Bakery and Diner - West Town closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.