Roots Pizza

1924 W Chicago Ave (at West Town), Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60622

Serves meat, vegan options available. Customizable salads and pizza with other vegan options including vegan cheese upon request. Numerous fresh vegetable toppings and has sides including fries and a loaded hummus. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-12:00am, Fri 11:00am-2:00am, Sat 11:00am-3:00am, Sun 11:00am-12:00am.

Categories: Lacto, Pizza, Italian, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by makemenervous

Created a vegan pizza - Edit

My friends, who are not vegan, loved the pizza! We created around 1:45am. Crust was on point. They had seitan, mushrooms, and the usually veggie toppings you can add on there. All their dough/crust is vegan. This place offers vegan options. Seems like they understand. To me, it was decent for a late night after clubbing vegan pizza.

Pros: Offer late night vegan pizza

Cons: I just felt a little rushed. We did get there 15mi

Build Your Own Pizza - Edit

After over-doing it on Dimo's pizza, I finally decided to give Roots a shot. The owners have a couple of other restaurants that include vegan options, so I assumed this was the case for pizza as well, and I wasn't disappointed.

The first time I went, I built my own pizza with red sauce, mushrooms, onions, and sauerkraut (self-dubbed: the pierogi pizza). Unlike a lot of pizza places, they were not skimpy on the toppings! The variety of veggie/fruit toppings as well as some unique ones definitely makes this place stand out.

The second time I went, the staff informed me that they did have a vegan cheese. I have no idea why they don't include this on the menu. I generally prefer my pizzas without the cheese, but if you can list 18 types of meat and 12 types of cheese I don't see why the vegan option should be so hush-hush.

EDIT: It looks like they finally included a vegan option on the menu! Though they still don't include the vegan cheeses on the build-your-own menu, at least people will be able to know they exist - just ask.

Specially-seasoned ground seitan, vegan ranch, vegan cheddar, vegan mozzarella, shredded romaine, diced pickles, and diced tomatoes.

Updated from previous review on 2017-05-10

Pros: variety of toppings, unique toppings, reasonably priced

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Roots Pizza closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.