Water Lily Restaurant

Contact 03-20706561

23 Jalan Tun H. S. Lee (at Chinatown), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 50000 KL

Vegetarian turned vegan restaurant with an extensive food menu, including noodle curry and vege curry. Formerly Fatt Yan Vegetarian. Open Mon-Sat 10:00am-3:00pm, Mon-Sat 5:00pm-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Malaysian

First Review by PatriciaRobinson

Disappointing - Edit

I was not impressed with the food here. As well as an extensive menu there are three set menu options. I chose Set A which was ginger soya fish, mushroom sauce, tofu and vegetables. The menu said this came with tea for 13.90. What I actually was given was not tea but a glass of lukewarm soya milk. I think I had three sips. The food was not great. The tofu was bland, the vegetables were tasteless and the mock fish was rather tough. So much so I had to spit a piece out. Overall I was disappointed with my experience so I will not be returning.

Great local eatery - Edit

This is a great local place with friendly and helpful staff.

I had a delicious Laksa Soup, listed as "Curry" on the menu, but just ask the waitress for Laksa and she'll point you in the right direction.

Great location near China Town and good value.

Pros: Location, Price, Taste

Delicious and Cheap Vegan Goodness! - Edit

Loved this place. Not amazing decor but great food and incredibly cheap. Staff were really helpful and friendly too. Had set menu for just a couple of pounds/dollars which included a drink - was supposed to be herbal tea but instead for some reason they brought home made soy milk which was lovely. Also try the buns - had a couple of BBQ buns - one white and one wholewheat. Again, both really good. Would recommend!

Pros: very cheap , lots of choice , friendly staff

All vegan and next to my hostel - Edit

My hostel specializes in meat and wheat options, so I was very grateful to find Water Lily literally across the street. They have many options for food, but I have been trying the different lunch sets which costs less than 14 RM (about $3 USD). My favorite so far is the Thai style Soya chicken!

Enjoyed noodles while in Chinatown - Edit

This is one of the few vegan places listed in the area, and it was a good place to relax after walking all morning. Chose the BBQ noodles after seeing a local diner enjoying them. The menu works well for sharing dishes.

Pros: Large menu

sticky buns and stir fry - Edit

All vegan! had a couple of dishes here, BBQ sticky bun was lovely. got a couple of dishes that were kind of average ( I thought) and customer service was average too.

Pros: All vegan! sticky buns! food came out Super Fast

Cons: customer service

Great ! - Edit

We went today to Water Lily Restaurant and got the spring rolls, won tons, Rice with broccoli and mushroom, pancakes and a moon cake. It was all so great and I absolutely loved the pancake and the moon cake! And everything was reasonably cheap :)
The staff is very friendly too.

Pros: food, prices, staff

Nothing to come back for. - Edit

We had exactly the same feeling like some ppl here. Atmosphere is very wired - we were the only customers and felt like we were acting on a stage while the whole staff is watching us. Hmmm…

First of all the lady who bring the menu stayed there and waiting and it was really uncomfortable. Second thing, she almost didn't let us to read the menu just was trying to persuade us to order one of 3 set menu for 13,90 rm. I said thank you and continue reading. She still standing behind. I had to tell her we need some time. When she saw we still searching the menu, she send (I think) her husband and then he started to pushing us to go for set lunch. So we realized that they really don't want to cook fresh food "a'la carte" just to sell precooked things. We surrendered cose had no time to search for other place. But we wasn't happy about this decision.

We got fish set and mutton set. Both dishes the same - plain rice, tofu, blanched watery lettuce and fish/mutton. Food was edible but canteen - like. Nothing special at all. That was our last lunch in KL so all this made us rather disappointed :( I wouldn't come back there.

Good solid fare in Chinatown - Edit

Good fare in a central location, with reasonable prices. The black pepper ribs are really decent and there is a wide selection of greens. Set menus are available and packets of crispy nibbles are on sale for take away. The staff can come across a little austere, but warm to you after a while.

Pros: Good fare, Location

Cons: Not the most atmospheric

ok! - Edit

Not a charming place but It's ok to eat. 2 floors restaurant.
local restaurant. I didn't see any tourist here.
they propose 3 différents sets for 3usd which is affordable and good.
I tried the soya fish, it was excellent.

Amazing and highly recommend! - Edit

I'm surprised by some of the negative reviews! The food was cheap, delicious and all vegan. I ordered a pot of green tea, two BBQ buns and the mock duck, all of which was very flavoursome and healthy. Will admit the atmosphere was a bit off when I first arrived but I sat there for ages and as more people came the more cheerful the staff became - they were really pleasant and I highly recommend going.

weird atmosphere - Edit

food was quite nice, although pretty overpriced. I had a fried rice kind of thing for 8RM (one of the cheapest options on the menu)

overall atmosphere was kinda non-existent and very quiet

Pros: all vegan

Cons: atmosphere, pricing

Overpriced and Underwhelming food - Edit

First thing I noticed about their menu was how extensive it was. They serve many mock dishes and noodles/rice cooked in chinese, malay and thai style.

While trying to decide what we wanted to order, the waitress just stood there staring at us while we flipped through the menu. It was not very comfortable, felt like we were being rushed to order. We eventually made order and our food came a few minutes later.

We ordered three dishes the Lemon Chicken, the Spicy Bean Curd Claypot and the Bitter Gourd Soup. The Lemon Chicken was coated in some kind of breading then friend and then toped with some artificial lemon sauce. I didn't like the taste. The Spicy Bean Curd Claypot was more appealing to me. It had a generous amount of vegetables and tofu. But it wasn't spicy at all. The taste was ok, a bit too bland, nothing to rave about. The best dish for me was the Bitter Gourd soup. The serving for each dish was big, with the food we ordered, it probably could feed around 3. Overall the food was underwhelming.

Felt like I can get better food at other places for cheaper option. The bill totalled to RM 46. Plus, the restaurant was not very atmospheric. The staff just sat there, kinda watching the customers eat their food.

Will not be in a rush to go back.

Pros: Big Serving , Extensive Menu

Cons: Expensive, Underwhelming Food , Weird Dinning Experience

A silent dinner - Edit

Went there for early dinner at 6.30pm. Was the only client. The staff was surprisingly quiet, sitting on their chair without speaking. No music. Very silent and in a way quite strange atmosphere. But food was ok (got the set dinner at 13.50 and also some spring rolls), though nothing amazing. But will come back if I happen to go to KL.

Very good restaurant near Chinatown hostels - Edit

This was our favorite in KL. Everything was really tasty, service is wonderfully friendly and when we kept coming back, they served us free desserts. Extensive, interesting list. Really, really lovely. Try lime and sour plum juice. It's really sour and yummy - addictive, in short!

Pros: interesting menu, tasty food, friendly service

Cons: there was never brown rice available

Return to Kuala Lumpur Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Water Lily Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.