Water Lily Restaurant

Contact 603-20706561

23 Jalan Tun H. S. Lee (at Chinatown), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 50000 KL

Kuala Lumpur vegetarian turned vegan restaurant with an extensive food menu. Try the curries such as the noodle curry and vege curry. Previously named Fatt Yan Vegetarian Restaurant. Note that the kitchen/restaurant closes for break between lunch and dinner.

Category: Vegan, Malaysian

First Review by PatriciaRobinson

Great ! - Edit

We went today to Water Lily Restaurant and got the spring rolls, won tons, Rice with broccoli and mushroom, pancakes and a moon cake. It was all so great and I absolutely loved the pancake and the moon cake! And everything was reasonably cheap :)
The staff is very friendly too.

Pros: food, prices, staff

Nothing to come back for. - Edit

We had exactly the same feeling like some ppl here. Atmosphere is very wired - we were the only customers and felt like we were acting on a stage while the whole staff is watching us. Hmmm…

First of all the lady who bring the menu stayed there and waiting and it was really uncomfortable. Second thing, she almost didn't let us to read the menu just was trying to persuade us to order one of 3 set menu for 13,90 rm. I said thank you and continue reading. She still standing behind. I had to tell her we need some time. When she saw we still searching the menu, she send (I think) her husband and then he started to pushing us to go for set lunch. So we realized that they really don't want to cook fresh food "a'la carte" just to sell precooked things. We surrendered cose had no time to search for other place. But we wasn't happy about this decision.

We got fish set and mutton set. Both dishes the same - plain rice, tofu, blanched watery lettuce and fish/mutton. Food was edible but canteen - like. Nothing special at all. That was our last lunch in KL so all this made us rather disappointed :( I wouldn't come back there.

Good solid fare in Chinatown - Edit

Good fare in a central location, with reasonable prices. The black pepper ribs are really decent and there is a wide selection of greens. Set menus are available and packets of crispy nibbles are on sale for take away. The staff can come across a little austere, but warm to you after a while.

Pros: Good fare, Location

Cons: Not the most atmospheric

ok! - Edit

Not a charming place but It's ok to eat. 2 floors restaurant.
local restaurant. I didn't see any tourist here.
they propose 3 différents sets for 3usd which is affordable and good.
I tried the soya fish, it was excellent.

Amazing and highly recommend! - Edit

I'm surprised by some of the negative reviews! The food was cheap, delicious and all vegan. I ordered a pot of green tea, two BBQ buns and the mock duck, all of which was very flavoursome and healthy. Will admit the atmosphere was a bit off when I first arrived but I sat there for ages and as more people came the more cheerful the staff became - they were really pleasant and I highly recommend going.

weird atmosphere - Edit

food was quite nice, although pretty overpriced. I had a fried rice kind of thing for 8RM (one of the cheapest options on the menu)

overall atmosphere was kinda non-existent and very quiet

Pros: all vegan

Cons: atmosphere, pricing

Overpriced and Underwhelming food - Edit

First thing I noticed about their menu was how extensive it was. They serve many mock dishes and noodles/rice cooked in chinese, malay and thai style.

While trying to decide what we wanted to order, the waitress just stood there staring at us while we flipped through the menu. It was not very comfortable, felt like we were being rushed to order. We eventually made order and our food came a few minutes later.

We ordered three dishes the Lemon Chicken, the Spicy Bean Curd Claypot and the Bitter Gourd Soup. The Lemon Chicken was coated in some kind of breading then friend and then toped with some artificial lemon sauce. I didn't like the taste. The Spicy Bean Curd Claypot was more appealing to me. It had a generous amount of vegetables and tofu. But it wasn't spicy at all. The taste was ok, a bit too bland, nothing to rave about. The best dish for me was the Bitter Gourd soup. The serving for each dish was big, with the food we ordered, it probably could feed around 3. Overall the food was underwhelming.

Felt like I can get better food at other places for cheaper option. The bill totalled to RM 46. Plus, the restaurant was not very atmospheric. The staff just sat there, kinda watching the customers eat their food.

Will not be in a rush to go back.

Pros: Big Serving , Extensive Menu

Cons: Expensive, Underwhelming Food , Weird Dinning Experience

A silent dinner - Edit

Went there for early dinner at 6.30pm. Was the only client. The staff was surprisingly quiet, sitting on their chair without speaking. No music. Very silent and in a way quite strange atmosphere. But food was ok (got the set dinner at 13.50 and also some spring rolls), though nothing amazing. But will come back if I happen to go to KL.

Very good restaurant near Chinatown hostels - Edit

This was our favorite in KL. Everything was really tasty, service is wonderfully friendly and when we kept coming back, they served us free desserts. Extensive, interesting list. Really, really lovely. Try lime and sour plum juice. It's really sour and yummy - addictive, in short!

Pros: interesting menu, tasty food, friendly service

Cons: there was never brown rice available

Nice place - Edit

I went there yesterday evening. I tried a traditional cantonese dish with vegetables and noodles in a soup. It was very tasty, and not expensive (7RM). The waitress helped me chose something in the menu, as they were many choices.
However, I went there at 9PM, and all the staff was cleaning the room when I was eating, looking at me regularly to see if I have finished. Their closing time is officially 10PM, but they seemed quite in a hurry to close the restaurant. I didn't really appreciate that... I ate very quickly, and left at 9:30.

Pros: Nice food, Inexpensive

Cons: Staff quite cold, Same music repeated all the time

Lovely, creative Chinese restaurant - Edit

A pleasant, bright Chinese restaurant. There's plenty on the menu to choose from, including some dishes you probably won't have seen before. I had a bean curd and vegetable dish, flavoured with olive and dried pumpkin. It was really good and interesting. The atmosphere is more peaceful than the Indian places one block over (and there's less dairy used here to worry about). They offer some tasting platters and set menus (for 2 or more people) which are pricey, but most individual dishes are around RM 10. Also, they have a range of vegan fresh fruit sorbets.

Pros: Delicious, Creative, Peaceful

Previously known as Fatt Yan - Edit

Food leaves something to be desired. Not very atmospheric. Clientale sits at tables for long time watching Chinese dramas on tv. Right when you get off the Majarajalela monorail and walk about 500 m there's an Indian veggie restaurant that's a much better looking option than this.

Best place for Chines Food in KL - Edit

This is my favorite Restaurant in KL for Chines Food. The taste is always good to excellent and the portions are big enough (whit the set meals for more than one person, you can easy go for the maximum number of recommended people). The staff is very friendly and some products in their store are amazing (try the Tom Yam paste). They also sell vegan ice cream which are great (try durian).

Pros: Best chines food in town, Nice staff, Shop

Cons: Can be full in bussy times

Nice. - Edit

Good mock place. Mix of Taiwanese, Malaysian, Thai style dishes. More varied than many of the straight up Taiwanese mock places I go to in Australia. Very friendly. Big menu. Dealt with kids well. Very well priced.

good food, funny vibes - Edit

The food was tasty here and priced reasonably.

The service was nice, however the staff need some training in social skills. For some reason, they saw fit to stare at us for most of our visit. One lady in particular did nothing but sit and stare while we ate and fed our kids the entire time.

About mid way through our meal, the staff had their lunch which meant that service to our table was temporarily suspended. Still, that did not deter them from staring while they ate.

The whole place could use a good cleaning up too. Perhaps if the staff were not so visually fixated on the customers, they'd notice the filth around them.

We left with satisfied tummies but still felt pretty uncomfortable with the idea of going back. (Which we didn't.)

Pros: tasty, affordable

Cons: rude staff, dirty

Very good restaurant - Edit

I always look forward to visiting this restaurant when I return to Kuala Lumpur! Great selection in the menu and everything I've tried has been really tasty. They seem to have a buffet to choose from in the morning and in the evening you can select from the menu (which is available for lunch too). Loads of mock meats but my favourite is the spicy tofu dish with rice - the sauce is delicious! I'm off there tonight and can't wait!!...

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Clean

Fantastic place! Great food, friendly service - Edit

While this place is listed as 'moderate', I'd go so far as to say it's 'inexpensive'. The owner and staff are lovely beyond belief, and the tamarind Assam 'fish' was the best I've ever had. It's best to go with a group, so you can appreciate the variety of dishes, but for a solo diner the noodle or rice dishes are great value.

Pros: Delicious food, Great service, Good value for money

Good Food - Edit

Very good vegan food, wide range of choice and prices including cheap set meals such as mock chicken rice and greens - gorgeous! Plenty of tofu/veg dishes if you're not into mock meats and oh just try those buns!!!!
Friendly service. Well worth a visit or two

Pros: Fab Food, Freindly, Good Value

basic and great! - Edit

Basic chinese vegan food that is really good. They have a collection of buns that are amazing. The vegetable and red bean were my favorites. They don't use MSG, we asked them about it and they showed us the seasoning they use so we could be sure. Both times we have gone, the server we've gotten has been super nice. Their menu has a variety of soy based mock meats which we haven't tried because unfermented soy does not do us well. We've stuck to the pretty large vegetable section. Also, the portions are a good size-each vegetable plate we have gotten has been enough for one person especially with the addition of rice. Overall, we really like this place.

Pros: No MSG, steamed buns, friendly staff

Cons: soy based "meats"

Return to Kuala Lumpur Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Water Lily Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7226 times since Aug 2007.