First Review by Raesock

Donuts - Edit

I had a nice breakfast here, the Vegan Donuts are good and tasty and they have always several flavors.
The almond cappuccino was good.

I literally got one of each vegan donut - Edit

And I did not regret it.
There's a separate tray for vegan donuts, and when I went there about mid-afternoon, there were about 8 different varieties.

Pros: Yeast and cake donuts, So good

Cons: Not all the donuts there were vegan

Donuts - Edit

I didn't LOVE the donuts here, but it was a sweet, fun treat, and I was happy to have my first vegan donut. They have so many vegan choices of donuts, too--I think around 6, plus three different kinds of fritters.

The vibe in here is nice too, and there are lots of counter seats along the big windows and outdoor tables as well.

Pros: Vegan donuts--can't complain, Nice space

First donut in years - Edit

I recently had my first donut here since I went vegan over three years ago. It tasted like the real deal, even if the texture was not 100% like a donut I remembered, but it was absolutely delicious! We've ordered the vanilla and cinnamon one and preferred the vanilla icing over the cinnamon sugar grains. Lots of choices though, and staff were very friendly. Would definitely recommend a visit!!

Yes! - Edit

I'm so happy to finally have vegan donuts in Asheville. And not just cake donuts (no, thanks). Vortex has plenty of flavor options to satisfy almost anyone. They even make a vegan apple fritter. The salted caramel is my go-to. It's not an overwhelming flavor that masks the donut taste but it's just right.

Pros: Delicious options, Plenty of parking , Great atmosphere

yup 02 Dec 2016 - what is this "masking the donut taste" you speak of? heresy!

Yum! Vegan Yeast Doughnuts! - Edit

This place was so good we went twice during our week long trip to Asheville, and would have gone more if we had been staying closer! Both days there was an entire tray of vegan doughnuts, a mixture of yeast and cake doughnuts! I hadn't had a yeast doughnut since going vegan and I had missed them! We tried lots of flavors, my favorites were the mango margarita and the coconut chocolate. We got chais with soy milk both times. They have coffee and milk alternatives too. It seems like the doughnut selection changes so you could probably call and see what they have daily.
The staff was also super nice and gave us great suggestions for things to do in town. Highly recommend this place!

Pros: yeast donuts, lots of vegan choices

Raesock 24 Jun 2016 - Came back to town a year later and we got donuts all three mornings! They added a whole platter of vegan apple fritters (classic, caramel and sugar!) since we last came. The donuts were still great. I don't know why they don't mention they have a big selection of vegan donuts on their site!

Return to Asheville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vortex Doughnuts closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.