Veggie Heaven

Contact 201-836-0887

473 Cedar Lane, Teaneck, New Jersey, USA, 07666

Serves vegetarian Chinese cuisine including an array of mockmeat dishes, spring rolls, tofu, and vegetable dishes. Large menu. Quiet, calm environment. Open Mon-Thu 11:30am-10:00pm, Fri 11:30am-10:30pm, Sat 12:00pm-10:30pm, Sun 12:00pm-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Delivery, Take-out, Asian

First Review by pandora_13

Nice Vegan option in NJ - Edit

Unfortunately NJ does not have a lot of Vegan/Vegetarian options for dinning out. Veggie Heaven in Teaneck is a great option for those that live a Plant Based lifestyle/Diet. The Menu is Asian with some non-Asian options ( Jamaican patties) . I have found that the "Chicken" options taste better than the "Beef" but that is just a matter of personal taste. The prices are great with entrees topping out around $13.00. I have always found the staff friendly and accommodating. Their creative take on Vegan sushi is a delight , give it a try. One of my favorites on the menu is their Lo-Mein, I find it one of the best I have tasted.

Pros: Non-GMO soy, Creative vegan take on asian cuisine, Vegan Sushi

Cons: some dishes can be a bit sweet, Some dishes do not have enough sauce.

delicious Chinese Food - Edit

We were seated in booth with a window view in this large and bright restaurant.
The servers were very quick but not the most talkative. We loved the General Tso tofu the best. It came with broccoli that was perfectly cooked and mushrooms. We also loved the chow mien with vegetables. The sweet and sour chicken was good but a bit too much sauce for me. I love that they offer brown rice and that things weren't too oily. I would love to come back and try some of their other dishes. Dishes are large and about $11 each which was very reasonable. I really wish there was a restaurant like this in my town.

Pros: brown rice, vegetables perfectly cooked, bright and clean

So good! - Edit

My (non-vegan) boyfriend and I went here for the first time last Friday and let's just say that even he was impressed with the cuisine. Although he ordered simple (as did I), he was very impressed with the quality and the taste of the General Tso's "Chicken." He told me try some and honestly, it was the best thing I've had since going vegan. If you live within the Teaneck area, I suggest making a trip to this place. The menu has a HUGE selection and I wish I was exaggerating!

Pros: Excellent food, Reasonable prices, Huge menu selection

I LOVE veggie heaven! - Edit

I have also visited the veggie heaven in Denville, but like this one a little better. They have pretty similar menus, but this one gives you a pot of free hot tea with your meal, and they advertise on a white board as soon as you walk in that they use only non-GMO soy! (:

The menu is very extensive and can be overwhelming. It is mostly Asian inspired meals and sushi, but they also have Mexican food and veggie burgers and lots of vegan desserts. I have had a few meals here. Everything I have ordered has been very good, and I always look forward to going back!

authentic chinese for vegans - Edit

Extensive menu presents many options: all the traditional chinese dishes are made with fake meats and other asian cultures represented too. Also creative tofu and vegetable choices. Great prices: had lunch with spring rolls, hot and sour soup, sezchuan tofu with brown rice for under $10! Very good service with food served quickly.

Pros: Tasty chinese, fast service, great prices

the best - Edit

This has become my "go-to" restaurant. I always take food to go because I can't get enough. If you're vegan or vegetarian I recommend you stay away unless you have a large portion of your income to spend on this place.

Pros: free tea, amazing food, vegan sushi and desserts

Just a town away - Edit

Great food... Service was Not the best! But I must say they know what they are doing BYOB very casual and everyone was nice. I wasn't impressed with their "Indian samosa" not that it was bad but it wasn't Indian... More like a spring roll, soup was amazing. I'm a huge veggie fan but this place knows how to cook tempeh and the seitan orange chicken was amazing.... I'll prob do take out or lunch but I'm going back...

Pros: Close to home and decently priced, Amazing flavors , Totally vegan

Cons: Mostly meat substitute dishes, Very noisy , Very messy

Our favorite Chinese restaurant ever - Edit

Veggie Heaven is reliably delicious, and their menu seems to add a page every time we go there--it's truly massive. In addition to Chinese food and American food, they have Japanese, Indian, Vietnamese, and Indonesian dishes, plus smoothies, juices, baked goods, etc. Their exotic mushroom soup is a perfect starter, and their vegan cakes are great finishers. I wish we lived closer so we could eat there every week.

Pros: Enormous menu, Great food, Efficient service

Greedy and Hostile Owners - Edit

When the credit card system stopped working, Doris (the manager of Veggie Heaven in Denville) demanded that customers either walk down the street to get cash from the ATM machine or provide license numbers along with credit card numbers to have their charges made later. She threatened, "Either you go to the ATM or you give me your personal information!" She later called the cops on long-time customers for politely declined to provide the license number but agreeing to leave the credit card number. Horribly greedy and unethical service/management.

There is NO virtue is supporting places like this.

Food wasn't all that great either.

Cons: Horrible Staff, Horrible Owners, Poor Service

Extensive vegetarian menu-fantastic lunch special! - Edit

My husband and I love this special place for it's wide variety of vegetarian and vegan dishes. Our favorites are the "Chick'n" with cashew nuts and vegetables, the vegetarian duck selections, their soups, and their Moo Shu Basil rolls. One omni-eating friend who joined us for dinner said in a loud voice "this is Chicken!" and alarmed some of the other customers - but fear not, it is definitely vegetarian or vegan. She just couldn't believe how delicious it was, and is considering trying other vegetarian meat alternatives. They also serve fresh squeezed juices, including carrot. I highly recommend this restaurant for vegetarians and vegans because there is such an extensive menu. Besides the Chinese menu, and even vegetarian sushi (!), there are also yummy house specials like Swedish "Meatballs". Parking is around the corner in a free municipal lot. Attentive waiters.
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 28, 2012

Pros: Excellent Veggie menu, Nice vibe/good value, Attentive staff

Cons: parking is around corner

Could have been better. - Edit

Food was just so-so. The fried food ("chicken legs") tasted a little chemically. Not sure if it was the oil or not. Carried through the "meat". The crispy beef was inconsistent also. Some was crispy while other pieces were soft and a little slippery even, also with the same chemical note. The hot tea was just slightly warm.

Wait staff was not very out going, very quiet. All neighboring tables treated the same. Like they were tired/sleepy.

Brought a friend to try the vegetarian experience. Not the best for the first time. Maybe it was just a bad night for them.

I eat at vegetarian restaurants across the country very frequently. Veggie Heaven doesn't place at the top of the list, but it's not at the bottom either.

best place ever - Edit

asian cuisine has always been my favorite i am so thankful for this place i took full advantage when i was in new jersey this summer and went a couple times every week. sad that i have to wait till june to eat there again :( the orange vege chicken is amazing i cant taste the difference neither could my omnivore grandma she even thought it was real and i got all worried and asked and they were very polite.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, peaceful

Contributions +17

Heavenly Experiences - Edit

Veggie Heaven was my first experience at a vegan restaurant and with that said the bar was set very, very high. Five years later I still believe this to be my favorite eating spot. With an amazing selection of not just Asian cuisine (which is Veggie Heavens main focus) but entrees and appetizers spanning many cultures that will fit anyones taste. The friendly staff is always on top of their customers and the food comes out in a very reasonable amount of time. Although there are so many great dishes available, I will use a statement I overheard from a nearby patron describing the Pecan Chicken entree. The quote states "It's like a dance party on your tongue." I agree and this statement could be said for just about every meal on the premises. I strongly suggest this restaurant to anyone and everyone vegan or not.

Pros: Selection, Price, Environment

Cons: Not in my backyard, Don't own it

Great Chinese Food! - Edit

Awesome tasty food that stays true to that chinese food we used to eat as omnivores. "Chicken" & garlic sauce is spicy and amazing. One thing I love is that they use mostly seitan instead of tofu bot don't worry because the have plenty of gluten-free dishes as well.

Pros: Reasonable Prices, Generous Portions

Perfection - Edit

I love it here. The food is always fresh and delicious and the lunch special keeps the cost down. Their desserts are also very tasty (I could live on their strawberry smoothies and I can't believe there isnt cheese in the cheesecake!). They also seem to avoid using bad food additives, which is a huge personal conern for me. They always provide service witha smile and a homey atmosphere. The location in Denville is prettier, but the food in Teaneck is simply superior.

Pros: Womderful Meals, Excellent Service, location across from ample parking

Cons: could use renovating

Always delicious! - Edit

Veggie Heaven is a strong staple in my vegetarian existance. Without fail it is always delicious. I've been going there for at least 12 years and though my attendance has dropped from 2 times a week to about 2 times a month it's always my recommended choice when someone asks me a great vegetarian place. It has something for everyone. I have seen the prices increase over the years but you can still keep it under 30 for two people and feel satisfied. I find the prices to be reasonable mostly because you get what you pay for at Veggie Heaven. Service is always on point. Top 5: DIM SUM, Scallion Pancakes deluxe, Hot and Sour Soup, Autumn Rolls, Pecan Chicken.

Pros: EXCELLENT FOOD, SERVICE, ALWAYS OPEN

Cons: Too far from where I live now!

I Can't Believe It's Not... Chicken! - Edit

Veggie Heaven is undoubtedly my favorite mock meat Chinese food restaurant. The best of their three locations, I return here again and again. The menu is incredibly extensive, and they always have wonderful specials. There's even a sushi bar! As an appetizer, try the barbecued boneless spare ribs, the lobster ball skewers, or the chicken rolls. All will satisfy. Their dim sum is amazing as well. Favorite entrees include basil chicken, sesame chicken, seafood hot pot, and vegetarian duck. The chicken dishes definitely rule here. The food is always well prepared - never greasy, with vegetables always cooked to perfection. With a menu as large as theirs, you're bound to find a few duds - the roasted duck sticks out in my mind - but that's to be expected. This place is definitely worth a return visit, every time. Plus you can bring omnivores here, and heck, they probably won't believe it's NOT chicken. (No fear - 100% vegan.) Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.

Pros: well prepared, not greasy, amazing menu/selection, incredibly tasty food!

Return to Teaneck Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Veggie Heaven closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.