Veggie Castle II

Contact 718-641-8342

132-09 Liberty Ave (at off Van Wyck Expwy), Queens, New York, USA, 11419

Casual vegetarian restaurant with counter service. Uses mock meats in dishes. Open Mon-Fri 10:00am-10:00pm, Sat 10:00am-11:00pm, Sun 10:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Fast food, Take-out, Caribbean, West Indian

First Review by Vegan Goddess

Worth a trip from JFK - Edit

Kind of hole-in-the-wall looking, but everything is vegan, and quite tasty. You order at the counter, and if you like, you can follow a corridor in the back for place to sit and eat. There were several people in line with me, all regulars, and everyone was saying how much they love the place.

The eggplant side dish that I had was delicious! If was hungrier, I'd try the vegan blueberry cheesecake that the woman at the next table is liking so much that she called her cousin to tell her about it.

Pros: Tasty!

slow and steady - Edit

If you're not hungry, just get in line because by the time they reach you, you'll be starving. This place is always packed and the employees act like there is no one waiting HOWEVER it is so so so worth it. The food is amazing! I guess try non peak hours?

LOVE this place! - Edit

I absolutely love this place! I stop here every time on the way to and from JFK. Their mac and cheese and their drumsticks are amazing! And so are their cheesecakes, especially the chocolate/peanut butter ones... Their prices are also very reasonable considering how large the portions are. Highly recommend it!

Great vegan caribbean food - Edit

Over the past week, I've been to Veggie Castle II at least three times. The food tastes great and they have very good customer service. I think their vegan mac 'n cheeze is popular because each time I went their I was only able to order it once - it was sold out on the other days. The barbecue vegan drumsticks are very good. I also had some vegan pepperpot (tasted just like the pepperpot from back home - minus all the animal meat). This is one of my favorite restaurants/bakery and I would recommend anyone check it out. They also serve many smoothies - my friend tried one and said it tasted really good.

Pros: everything is vegan, good value for your money, Friendly staff

Wow!! So good!! - Edit

I went here last night for the first time and got food to go. It was amazing. There are a few vegan Caribbean places in NYC but this is the best I've had so far. The prices are fair and the portions are huge. There was so much to choose from, and they just kept putting out more trays as I was waiting to order. I was overwhelmed. It was so hard to narrow it down! There were a few people in front of me but the line moved quickly. Because they're busy, the food doesn't just sit there- everything was fresh and delicious!
I had the large meal- 3 sides and 2 proteins for $13. I ordered kale, spinach and curried chickpeas with BBQ drumsticks and ginger chick'n. The drumsticks looked so good I knew my family would want more so I ordered 3 extra. I was right, they loved everything! The greens were so, so fantastic. I also ordered 2 veggie patties and 3 desserts and the whole bill came to $35. The cakes are from Vegan Treats, not that they label them but I've read that in other reviews and saw a bunch that I have already had at other places. The selection at Veggie Castle is bigger than I've seen anywhere else though. The cakes I got were flavors we'd never had before: peanut butter chocolate cheesecake, German chocolate cake and a huge cinnamon bun. Because of the fast turnover there, the desserts were super fresh. Vegan Treats makes great stuff but sometimes they are a little dry but I figure that's because they are a little stale. Not at Veggie Castle; everything was moist and delicious- and they were at least half the price of the same thing at say, Atlas Cafe in Manhattan. The German chocolate cake with coconut frosting was amazing. I will definitely be back. They have so many options- all vegan, all fresh. I can't wait to try their breakfast. They also have burgers and fries as well as fresh juices. I'm so excited to have found this place!!

Pros: lots and lots of choices, fresh food, fair prices

Awesome Food! - Edit

Only place in queens where I can get Vegan "BBQ Ribs" and some Okra and Collard Greens.

It's the tastiest thing ever.

Seriously, I had a fix for this stuff for weeks and everyday I would drive down that crazy crowded van wyck just to get it.

Only downsides are: Hard to find parking, and is not a sit down place.

Pros: Casual Atmosphere, Great Food, Nice Service

Cons: No Parking, No Sit Downs (well they have two stools)

Delicious Caribbean Food! - Edit

I love it here! EVERYTHING is vegan. This is a counter service type establishment. They make a number of dishes that you can take with you or eat in their newish seating area (they used to just have a couple of stools and a little counter, but now they have a whole room with several tables and chairs).

Everything is so good! I buy a lot of vegan goodies from Vege Eats in Flushing, and a lot of Veggie Castle II's food seems to be made from the same stuff (which is really interesting, because most of the products at Vege Eats are from Taiwan). I just wish my cooking was as good as Veggie Castle II's! My partner and I love to order a large meal (two protein dishes and three sides) and share. It is plenty of food for two, though you may love it so much, you'll want to get more. AND they have vegan patties (fake Jamaican beef patties, callaloo patties, bean patties, fake fish patties, etc etc etc).

They also have a lot of desserts. Some look like they are from Vegan Treats in PA, but the flavors are unlike those that are usually sold in NYC. I've seen pistacchio cake at Veggie Castle II. Some desserts are made in house, including their Jamaican cassava cake. It's so delicious! Much like a Filipino cassava cake, but much more coconutty. Next Christmas, I'll be sure to see if they sell vegan rum cake. MMMMM!!!

Also try their herbal root beverages, if your curiosity is piqued!

The restaurant is only closed three days a year: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's, I think!

Pros: Everything is vegan!, Caribbean food!, Patties!

Cons: None!

Excellent Food - Edit

What a FANTASTIC Restaurant! Everything was great--the food, the service, the dining area. We loved the curry "chicken" and the BBQ "drumsticks" most of all. (They use May-Wah products, but they cook them so that they are tender and delectable. I’ve never had such delicious May-Wah chicken!) The side dishes are tasty, and the desserts are incredible and reasonably priced. We had chocolate peanut butter cake and avocado cheesecake—both were spectacular. Cheerful reggae music plays in the background, and overall it has a very positive vibe. We will definitely go back next time we are in NY.

Pros: Good food, Good service, Nice dining area

Cons: Some items can be a bit too oily

Get This! - Edit

I went a few miles out of my way to JFK to try Veggie Castle and it was a delicious detour! It's a treat to have an all-vegan menu to choose from and it was difficult to choose. Ended up with a plate of sweet and sour tofu, steamed greens, and kidney bean stew. All were excellent. Huge selection of juices to cure any ailment you may or may not have -- went with a kale and citrus mix to battle "fatigue." Vegan cake slices were 3 for $10 so had to try three -- get the carrot cake and you will not be disappointed. In addition to the tummy-pleasing food, the staff was delightful and there is seating in a very sleek little dining room where you can take your time to savor the food and listen to reggae.

Pros: amazing menu selection, generous portions, huge juice variety

good - Edit

This is vegan caribbean food that's very good. It's cafeteria style with only 2-3 places to sit. The food is big portions and reasonably priced. The shakes/smoothies are VERY overpriced. They also have the vegan cakes from PA for a reasonable price.

Return to Queens Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Veggie Castle II closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.