Vegetka

Contact 776343462

Kafkova 16, Praha 6, Prague, Czech Republic,

Vegetariánska kuchyně. Casual veggie food restaurant in a quiet neighborhood just a short walk from Dejvická Metro exit. Menu is in Czech, and there is a photo menu on the wall: seaweed rolls, stir frys, soymeat dishes, sushi, noodles, tofu and vegetables. White rice only. Meals are served in beautiful authentic china. Comfortable clean space with several tables. Vietnamese music and chants played. No smoking. Owners are very friendly, the man (Mr. Chen) also speaks English. Maybe closed in between lunch and dinner for rest. Directions: from Dejveska metro station, if facing Diplomat Hotel, Kafkova is an alley behind the hotel, and to the left. Mon-Fri 10:30am-9:00pm, Sat 10:30am-4:00pm

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Fast food, Take-out, Vietnamese

First Review by Amelie_Prague

Cheap and cheerful - Edit

Vegetka is a nice place for a lunchtime buffet (though there is also a regular menu available too - see the pictures on the wall). The buffet was really well-stocked, with deep-fried vegetables in a really nice batter, crispy spring rolls, noodles, fried rice, salads and an assortment of vegetable/mock meat dishes. I thought there was a really good variety, and while the food was not piping hot it was still warm. It was one of the cheapest buffets in Prague, and was quite nice and cosy inside - there are a few tables downstairs, and some more upstairs too. I'd definitely go back.

Pros: Cheap, Good variety

Functional - Edit

Vegetka is quite a small venue, which I'm not quite sure how to describe as it doesn't really have a cafe nor restaurant vibe. For the Czech speakers reading this, jidelna is probably the bets description. Everything is vegan, so no explaining or questioning needed, and it is possible to choose between a menu of main dishes or a buffet, costing 22czk per 100g. I thought the offer of fee soup and tea for those purchasing over 100czk worth of buffet items was very good value. There are also raw cakes and sweets available (not part of the buffet), and some groceries such as soya chunks, there be be brought, although it does not have a clearly-marked shop section. My partner and I tried the buffet, which consisted of battered vegetables, spring rolls, rice, noodles and a few different types of stir-fried vegetables. All of the items tasted fine, but were rather cold! This was disappointing as it was 1pm, therefore lunch time and not the tail-end of the buffet. When not serving, the owner sat in one corner telephoning, which given that we were the only customers present, made me feel a little unwelcome. Not the best atmosphere therefore, but it's the cheapest out of the vegan restaurants in the area, and ok for a quick bite without too high expectations.
Updated from previous review on Monday April 06, 2015

Pros: varied menu

Cons: cold food, priced by weight

Great food, but not a fancy place - Edit

The place has a feel of a canteen, so don't go there if you're looking for something fancy. However the fresh food is delicious, the portions are huge and the price is just fine. My jasmin tea was served very nicely as well. I can't speak for the buffet options as I haven't tried these.

I'll be definitely coming back, because the food is worth it.

Pros: Good food, Huge portions

Cons: Interior (canteen-look)

My favourite restaurant - Edit

This is my favourite vegan restaurant. There has a buffet on lunch time- it´s very quick and the food is very good. At the afternoon or evennigs you can order the meal. And you get big portion of very good food. The prices are too good.

Pros: good food, quick eat on lunch time, big portion on order

Cons: small

Viet/Czech (con)fusion? - Edit

Buffet style vegan/vegetarian Chinese food. Salty and heavy with little emphasis on fresh vegetables or warmth. That being said, the food was *mostly* decent, some highlights being the faux beef, and the beet/carrot gallettes, despite the food being generally tepid and overseasoned. This is cash only however, and although the staff is friendly enough, communicating May be difficult if you don't speak Czech; unless your hungry and in the neigbourhood, it's not really worth the trip out this far from the center. Prices were decent, but overall I give it a big "meh".

Updated from previous review on Friday August 01, 2014

Updated from previous review on Friday August 01, 2014

Pros: you can eat as much as you want

Cons: you can eat as much as you want

good experience - Edit

Came here on new years eve, the owner was kind enough to let us in and serve us even when they are closing. The food is decent and relatively quick to serve, unlike previously reviewer's experience, non-disposable china were used.
we had veggie chicken, veggie sushi, spring roll and noodle soup.

Pros: friendly staff/ owner, decent food , cheap

Cons: no English menu/ have to relay on picture to order

Friendly People - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Vegetka review.

First impression was very nice. The space was peaceful, clean, and pleasantly decorated. There is a wall of photo menu which helped since we could not read the Czech only menu. Prices were very cheap.

We ordered a noodles roll, a tofu and tomatoes dish, and a plate of seaweed sushi rolls. The food took a while to prepare was served on thin disposable plastic plates. That puzzled me a bit since I felt that the space was rather nice, but the disposal ware made the food feel like fast food and rather cheap instead. It changed the feeling of the experience.

My suggestion would be that the restaurant uses real plates or even hard non-disposal plastic ones. It will make the dining experience better.

Pros: friendly service, nice atmosphere

Cons: disposable plates & utensils

Not very good... - Edit

I visited this restaurant once (approx. a year ago) and don't plan on coming back. The food is not very tasty; you can get much better meal in some regular Vietnamese/Chinese restaurants if you pick something with vegetables only. It's keenly priced BUT I'd rather eat something more expensive but tastier. The atmosphere was weird and the Asian guy working & cooking there as well.

Pros: good prices

Cons: not a very good food

Special vegan - Edit

Such a cozy little hideaway out of the centre of town. Just a short walk from Dejvicka. Owner Mr Chen is very nice and speaks good english. I had the sushi and got biiiig pieces, my 10-bit-plate was more of an 20-bit-plate. My boyfriends noodle-soup was gigantic so you will be full after a visit. They sell alcohole-free beer, ginger beer and sodas. Also various green teas.

Pros: vegan, big portions, friendly owners

I Heart Vegetka - Edit

thank my lucky stars for Happy Cow. before moving to praha from toronto for a year, a friend told me about this site. it has been my "bible" for eating well and healthily.

tonite i had my first meal @ Vegetka. and i'm going back tomorrow. the place has peaceful energy, modest decor. it's true, there is no menu in english - but the owner, Guo, was so friendly and helpful, that i had no problem choosing my first meal: pumpkin soup to start - and then a REALLY YUMMY dish of rice, tofu cubes, tomatoes, shitake mushrooms, and peas. on the menu, it's #8.Tofu s houbami šitake(rajcaty a hráškem,rýže)

the meal was very affordable. i learned all about Master Ching Hai. even bought a really great, bright yellow cotton bag that has a very positive pro-vegetarian, pro-green, pro-love message on it printed w/ pink ink and outlined in gold glitter. And! i met my very first praha friend (i'm here studying film for a year w/ a lot of international students). she told me she eats @ Vegetka almost every day.

it was such a positive experience. i can't wait for tomorrow's dinner there!

thank you Happy Cow!
your website is a Blessing, here in the land of meat, beer and cheese - all things i avoid.

happy, happy!
Updated from previous review on Friday October 08, 2010

Pros: excellent food, great price, lovely atmosphere and friendly owner

Cons: menu not in english

Such a friendly place ! - Edit

In my point of view, this restaurant is a quite and lovely place to visit(non-smoking,non-drinking).Of course it looks like fast foods dishes but Asian style . There, you can enjoy many kinds of teas from Asian , for example Chinese one. Try once ?
Amelie.

Pros: friendly staff

Return to Prague Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegetka closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5544 times since Aug 2007.