CLOSED: Vegetariano Madero

Contact 0155-55216880

Francisco I. Madero 56, Centro Historico, Del. Cuauhtemoc (at Isabel la Catolica, 2 blocks from main square/upstairs/Metro: Zocalo), Mexico City, Mexico, 06000

Part of a chain throughout the city offering Mexican vegetarian breakfast, lunch, dinner - egg omelets, ensaladas (salads), enchiladas, breads, juices, and meals of the day. Cheese is used in many dishes, so ask for without cheese if vegan. Lots of seating and nice window views onto the street. Confirmed open Apr 2012. JUN 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN/CLOSED.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Mexican

First Review by andi_vert

lovely, historic, tasty - Edit

Lovely place which I just got back to after 5 years away. Vegan options are actually very easy to come by if you explain it to them clearly; great enchiladas and molletes for example. The set menu changes every day and can vary in quality, but it's worth the try, especially for the feeling of being such a part of DF's vegetarian history.

Pros: tasty, historic, piano!

Cons: can be somewhat dull

Horrible - Edit

This place was a night mare... Nobody spoke English and after a phrase book based explaining I gave the guy my vegan passport to read, which made his face lighten a bit - with the result that he suggested some dairy for me to eat... Finally I did manage to order something that was the worst I have ever eaten in a vegetarian place. Also my non-vegetarian companion was disappointed with his portion. The juice was good, the location nice and prices low. Might be good for a drink, but not for food.

Pros: The place

Cons: "Vegan" not understood, bad food

4 Responses

ulpu Ah, still... of course not horrible because of the lack of English. I do speak 5 languages, and I did learn some Spanish too, it's not that I don't try.

But if a waiter in a vegetarian restaurant doesn't understand what is a vegan, there's not a single vegan dish on the list and the food once it arrives is not tasty and the potatoes are raw, I have no reason to not be disappointed. Indeed Mexico City had awesome vegetarian restaurants, but this wasn't one of them. And that is why I did stick to other options and hope other non-native vegans find the good places which have taken effort to serve them.

ulpu Did I say they should speak English? Am just saying that we had problems because we didn't speak Spanish and the waiter didn't speak English. Also he didn't seem to understand what he read in Spanish from my Vegan Passport. This might be considered as an important note by those fellow vegan travelers who also don't speak Spanish. So no need to be upset, am not an imperialist nor is English my mother tongue, but I enjoy places where this international language is spoken and understood.

More options please ! - Edit

The food is pretty good, but they don't have many vegan options; it's a nice place for vegetarians, though.

Pros: tasty food

Cons: Staff isn't aware of vegan options, few vegan options, not 100% vegetarian

Return to Mexico City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Vegetariano Madero closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 465 times since Aug 2007.