Vegan Rapide

• Friend
Contact 514-489-9259

6206 Sherbrooke St W, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H4B 1M2

Delivery service turned brick and mortar restaurant, at this location since summer 2014. Kitchen makes all-vegan foods from pizza and sandwiches to salads and baked goods. Open Tue-Fri 11:00am-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Pizza, Western, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by HappySK

Just wow - Edit

The food at this place is making me think that I should remove one star to any other restaurant I've reviewed, because it's absolutely incredible.

As a long time vegan, I don't like thinking "how can this be vegan?" when something is delicious, because I know vegan food can be great, but really, how can this be vegan? The poutine tastes like legit poutine (besides the daiya taste). The gravy is so on point. I wonder if it would be even better with Gusta cheese instead of daiya; they should look into that. The fries are above par. My husband thought the spicy burger was the best vegan burger he'd had, despite the bread being a pita pocket instead of buns.

But guys. The soft-serve vanilla ice cream. How the hell is it vegan? It's probably the best ice cream I've ever tasted (or tied with Swedish Glace's vanilla). The chocolate was reportedly not as good, because it reportedly tasted like coffee.

I'll concur that the floor was a bit dirty, but I personally don't care about that. The food didn't taste oily to me, even though it's fatter than what I usually eat (HCLF). Going there made my day. Highly recommend.

Pros: Best food ever, Friendly staff, quiet venue, outdoor seating, Soft. serve. ice. cream.

Cons: Small venue, Sticky floor, Rickety indoor tables

Other vegan restaurants' delivery > VR's delivery - Edit

I'm a long-time delivery customer... I've also ordered from many other vegan restaurants in the city (delivered and in person).
VR is a great addition to the NDG area, and I'm looking forward to trying their soft-serve iced 'cream'.
I've had some good and less than good experiences, and the less than good experiences have been properly taken care of by staff.
A couple of notes I want to include relate to the food and the delivery aspect of the business.
Either their cheese was never Daiya cheese or it used to be and they changed it (or, far-off guess: they grate a big block of daiya cheese that has a different texture than the type that comes already grated, and it tastes/feels unusual) -- I'm not too hyped about it. I order from VR for the vegan pizzas because they have an option of vegan cheese (unlike other pizza joints that might have a no-cheese option). But I think the pizzas would be better with pre-grated daiya mozzarella. The texture of cheese currently used is a bit runny and does not taste as much like dairy cheese as does daiya pre-grated mozzarella. Some people might like it though. I have also had to complain about the non-existence of tomato sauce on pizza -- which seems like something one shouldn't have to explicitly order.

The second note I feel compelled to make is that the delivery for the past year has been relatively unreliable -- it's not unusual to be told that the one driver has a lot on his plate and might take longer than 'usual'. Hiring an additional driver or outsourcing delivery work to proxy companies seems like the next step, but maybe something's preventing them from doing that. Either way, you're likely to be affected as a customer (I think other reviews elsewhere testify to this as well).
In the same vein -- beware if you live further North-East than Atwater! In fact, beware in general, because the construction work on roads seems to be a big determinant in whether VR will take your order at all. Even if in straight distance, you live 6 (or even 5!) km away, as the delivery instructions on the menu openly treats as an acceptable distance, your order may be refused on account of a combination of a required detour and a busy night (where, apparently, a no-more-than-6-km unwritten rule is applied).
On some nights even sans-construction, anything north of Atwater is considered 'downtown' and 'too far' on a busy night. I don't feel too wanted as a customer.
Basically: you might not want to plan a night around a VR delivery

Pros: vegan, good portions

Cons: unreliable option for delivery, 'cheese' on pizza isn't the best

quality - Edit

I have been there twice and ordered a vegan burger with fries and soup. The first thing that you notice when entering is that it is not very clean. Everything is sticky and greasy, starting from the door, the floors, the tables and ending with the card machine. I have worked at McDonald's before, and I can say it was 10 times cleaner. The burgers have no taste, to much soy products and grease. The soup is horrible, I was not able to eat it. The fries were burned, and when I say burned I mean they were dark brown in color. Also, I had indigestion problems after eating there. I think before opening up a restaurant, they should learn how to cook. I don't understand why when the food has no taste they try to overcompensate it with oil.

planned on taking photos... - Edit

Was going to take photos of the beautifully prepared food but ended up eating the food with insane quickness. Great selection of "burgers" (tofu based) and sandwiches. Vegan "poutine" was to die for. Sweet girls behind the counter. Highly recommended and easy on the wallet too! They deliver to most of Montreal as well

THE BEST OF THE VERY BEST - Edit

vegan rapide is an experience that's unforgettable. everything about them makes me proud to call myself a vegan. they have impeccable service verry friendly staff and obvious delicious food I have gone there a few times and I have to say every cent I spent there was worth it best of luck to you guys

Pros:

Good pizza - Edit

I have been ordering from Vegan Rapide since it opened. I think the pizza isn't quite as good as it used to be (has the crust gotten thinner?). However, I am still a loyal customer. You can get desserts, but beware these are packaged in clamshell containers - and what is nasty for the environment ends up being nasty for animals (recylcing logo 6, but not sure if it is cost-effective to be recycled in Montreal). They do offer sandwiches and also you can get a side of fries. They are good fries, but very greasy!
If you want daiya cheese on the pizza, you can get that, but I find they are better without. Even the meat-eaters I know like this pizza.

Pros: price, delivery

Cons: pizza was slightly overcooked once

Solid addition to Mtl scene - Edit

What can I say? I loved it! Vegan rapide offers a few new twists on the standard vegan burger fare. I loved their veggie burger, which was served in a homemade pita and had a delicious sauce. Their fries are top notch, and they offer vegan soft serve ice cream, as well as other treats. Prices are fair. Great spot, though a bit small and can get crowded!
Updated from previous review on Monday May 25, 2015

My second visit was a bit less compelling. Service still wonderful, but I was not impressed by the pizzas. My kids both had pizza, and neither was a strong offering. The crusts were hard and cardboardy. My sandwich was better, but it too lacked zest. Burgers were still the best thing there, but I found a few of their other offerings to be lacking.
Updated from previous review on Sunday May 31, 2015

The very best - Edit

Végan Rapide might not be located downtown, but you will never regret to go all the way there to eat delicious vegan food. The pizzas, sandwichs and burgers are fabulous, especially the Deluxe burger and you cannot leave without tried the pie with fruits on top. A must-go restaurant in Montreal.

Pros: Friendly staff, Fantastic food

Cons: Cold in the winter, Location not convenient

Simply amazing - Edit

I've been to Vegan Rapide a few times now and can honestly say that it is one of my top three best vegan restaurants in Montreal. I have tried their Deluxe Burger: AMAZING! Everything is fresh and tastes incredible. I have also had the Rustique sandwich, which I must say, is one of the best vegan sandwich I have ever had. Again, super fresh ingedients. Everything is made fresh and on the spot (you can see them make your food). The staff is super friendly and take the time to answer your questions.

This is a small family operated place and they do an excellent job. The prices are more than reasonnable. I will definitely be going back. Often.

Pros: Delicious, fresh ingredients, Friendly staff, Super affordable

Really Great. - Edit

I ordered the "pizza des sables", it was AMAZING. The crust really surprised me, it was tender and tasty. But what really got me was the "grated steamed tofu"(what a delicious idea!).
I'll definitely order again soon.

Pros: Excellent food , Good price

An Honest Review - Edit

Not in the delivery area but decided to ask if they'd deliver to my office. They said yes and I paid an extra delivery fee. The order was a hour late and cold because they agreed before looking up my address and did not anticipate traffic. To make things worse, my pizza had a cat hair on it. I have three cats at home, so I know. I suspect this business is run out of someone's home... not cool. The shredded tofu on it is a poor sub for cheese, all dried up and unappetizing. The sandwhich was just ok. The cookie was too greasy-sugary. Overall, it was expensive for what it was, and disappointing. I understand it's tough running a business but there are basic standards that must be upheld, especially if focused on food.

Pros: Delivery, Vegan

Cons: Limited Delivery Area, Needs Improvement

Finally healthy quick food delivery is here! - Edit

Great food! Tried 3 different sandwidges and love them all Will surely try all the other ones. Desserts are adictive. Fast delivery and impecable friendly service.

Great ambasadors for vegan taistful food.

Pros: Taisty, healthy food., Nice portions.

WOW - Edit

Absolutely delicious. I ordered the "L'urbain" sandwich. I can honestly say that I've never tasted a better sandwich anywhere. I tried the muffin as well and it was light and amazing. Delivery was fast and the staff, really friendly. Wow!... Totally Excellent. It's great being able to order vegan food and have it delivered, I am very, very, glad that this place opened.

Pros: Delicious Food, Fast Service, Big portions

Return to Montreal Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegan Rapide closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7078 times since Jul 2013.