First Review by ampallang

Good selection so you can find something you like - Edit

I was in town in 2012 and i missed reviewing it then, so i'll get to it now as i still have fond memories of it.

It's an unassuming place, but provides a fully vegan buffet, something that surprised me in a town of less than 200,000 people. New Zealanders are a resourceful and enterprising bunch, but kudos to Joe and Shine who put it on the map.

It's about providing basic, fresh food at low cost and they do a fantastic job. I wish there was something like this near where i lived.

There are a good range of dishes on offer, so you should be able to find something that suits you on the day eg they offer both grain based and vegetable based dishes, oilier ones and less oily.

I really like the no fuss range of choice this place offers. It was busy on the day i went, and no wonder. I guess that it also appeals to people that aren't vegan, but like a straightforward, good feed.

Pros: vegan, no fuss, good choice of dishes

Super Meh - Edit

I went to this a few days after I went to the one run by his brother in town. I found this place to be even more oily and bland. He was super friendly though so I really wanted to like this place. I can't really recommend it though.

Pros: friendly staff, affordable

Cons: oily, bland

favorite place in Hamilton - Edit

I'm only in NZ to visit family once a year and this place is always my fave to go to and bring family members even non vegans... First of all the owners are the sweetest things and love to see familiar faces! The food is served buffet style and there's like 20 things to choose from with yummy sauces and creative dishes. Lots of tofu things for example sweet n sour, Shepard pie, cauliflower chees. All totally vegan. Food is served warm not hot as they believe it is how we should ingest food. Nothing has spice or onions or garlics so it's all very easy on the tummy but don't worry it's sooooo delicious! And you pay by weight so you can have as little or as much as you like and pay accordingly. The vegan cheesecake is Killer too, a meal in itself! Not open for dinner.

Interesting, tasty and inexpensive - Edit

My husband and I are regulars at Vegan Buffet. The owners/chefs know us and their other regulars by name and welcome us warmly. The buffet includes a wide variety of hot dishes, international but with a South and South East Asian influence. My favourites are the pumpkin balls, a layered bake with a coconut rice topping and a shepherd pie-like bake with a sweet potato topping, and roast vegetables liberally favoured with cumin and other spices. There are plenty of fresh greens on offer and tofu dishes. I am personally not keen on 'manufactured' vegan 'meats' made of gluten and/or soy, although many vegans seem to like them. These are include de in the buffet, but there is so much on offer that I can easily avoid them. Vegan cheesecake is just usually available for dessert, although I usually find I am so satisfied with my lunch I couldn't manage dessert. Open for dinner on Fridays only. Food is sold by weight and very reasonably priced. As retirees, we usually eat our main meal at midday, so this lunch venue is a favourite and we eat there about once a week.

Pros: Tasty, wide variety of vegan dishes, Friendly staff, Central location and inexpensive

so happy to find this oasis - Edit

in the new zealand land of food courts and kebab houses, what a score this place is!

freshly hand made deliciousness served buffet style and charged by the ounce or kilo or weight of some sort. maybe ten different items in the buffet, tofu and wheat gluten both, as well as vegetables, fritters, rice and noodle dishes.

though we got there right at opening, the rice was not ready for another 20 minutes so we skipped waiting for it. not sure, but i believe its only white rice. cant be positive.

no alcohol served which is great. the counter person was a happy smiling healthy 50 year old man, a testament to the healty food he serves.

a heaping full plate costs about what any other place in nz would charge for a main dish. under $15 for sure.

not oily, not salty, not gooey. great tasting food and i really wish i could ever go there again, but i was just passing through sadly...open till 3, so dinner was out of the question or i would have taken us back! 5 stars from me and the boyfriend!

Pros: ultra fresh, quiet and peaceful, buffet style, sold by weight, two blocks from the main downtown street

Cons: maybe not all items are available early, green tea was just fair

Excellent, delicious, friendly - Edit

Just fantastic. Friendly, delicious food, wonderful service and a clean, lovely environment. Can't recommend highly enough.

Pros: Excellent food, Excellent value, Amazing staff

Cons: Other restaurants aren't like this one, It spoils other restaurants for me, It isn't 24 hours

Great food at a good price - Edit

I ate there twice with a couple days in between each time. There was around 12 or different items you could load up your plate with. All of them looked freshly cooked. I tried about 10 different things and all of them were great. I had two good size plates of food for just over $12NZD.

Pros: all vegan, lots of options, cheap

Wonderful vegan restaurant in Hamilton NZ. - Edit

This very clean reasonably priced restaurant has great selection of vegan dishes, and the friendliest staff you would meet anywhere. Especially Shine who goes out of her way to memorise every customers name. Usually customers get a free cup of Jasmine green tea with their meal ( when the place is not too too busy). I recommend very highly and it is my favourite restaurant.

Pros: friendly, clean, good price

Cons: not open long hours

DELICIOUS! - Edit

I am so happy I found this place. The food is absolutely delicious and it is very cheap! I took my parents when they came to visit. My Dad, who likes a good bit of meat, couldn't believe it was vegan. He also couldn't believe how full he felt afterwards. It is definitely my favourite place to eat. Looking forward to the next time I go :) Yum yum! The staff are wonderful too. They add to the great food experience.

Pros: Friendly staff, Amazing food, Healthy

Cons: Only open lunch and late Friday

Bestest - Edit

I went here based on the reviews and am in total agreement the food is fantastic good buffet selection I couldnt even fit a bit of everything in my take out container I would need two! the staff are the nicest people. You can also purchase vegetarian meat alternatives I am hooked

Excellent Food & Lovely Staff - Edit

This place is brilliant, the food is the best, at least 12 different yummy dishes to choose from. Pay by weight for eat-in or take away NZ$14.50 per kg when we were there last week during a 10 day trip to NZ from Sydney. We got 10 containers of take-aways weighing 4.6kg for NZ$67, Susan one of the staff gave us a free big bag of mandarines, staff are so lovely here, so friendly & nice. The take-aways lasted us for 3 big meals, the food as well as being the tastiest is excellent value for money. Although there are plenty of eats to choose from our favourites were the curried potatoes, brown fried rice with dinky little diced veggies, pumpkin patties, mutli veggie spicy rissoles & the steamed brocolli with carrots & red capsicum. This is the second time we have been here & will keep going back whenever we are on the North Island.

Pros: Great food, very friendly staff, excellent value

THE BEST..... - Edit

Totally agree with the above, DELICIOUS.
We are huge eaters and our plants only weighed $10, with my wifes weighing in at $11 but well worth it.
We were totally full and it was scumptious.
Friendly, beautifully healthy looking staff who also chatted with us after closing.
But as above if it's dinner you have in mind early Friday only, or have your main meal at lunch time. Well worth it.
10 / 10

GO VEGAN...

Pros: Delicious, not over processed, Cheap and super friendly

Tastest food in NZ - Edit

Ate there for only $7 with a full plate with many choices. Probably 6 different dishes I had. Very nice. Lovely owners who talked with us after they closed and gave us a free chinese tea. Only sad thing is they close around 3:30pm apart from friday. And no organic or natural juices in fridge. Best vegan food in Nz and worth it!!!

Pros: tasty food, very cheap, wonderful staff

Cons: short hours, limited bevrages

Return to Hamilton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegan Buffet closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5471 times since Aug 2007.