Contact +385-21386662

Domovinskog Rata 29a, Split, Croatia, 21000

Deli-style veggie cafe opened in 2011 by the owners of Makro Vega. Offers prepared savory dishes as well sweets displayed in cases. Uses seasonal and mostly organic ingredients. Location is outside of the city centre. Mon-Fri 9:00am-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-8:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Macrobiotic, Organic, Mediterranean, Salad bar, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Croatian

First Review by Maximilian

Nice cafe! - Edit

One of the very few places I was able to find in Croatia with vegan food. Unfortunately, I was visiting Upcafe on Sunday, when only few meals were available. I had very tasty goulash-style soup and a decent tortilla. Cakes were also very good.

Cafe itself is very nice and comfortable, with few tables outside.

Pros: Fresh, tasty meals, Nice staff

Cons: Small portions, Short vegan menu

Nice place. - Edit

A little bit of walk from the old town. Food was good but when I was there they only had pasta with tomato sauce as hot food to choose. Outdoor seating by a main street with lots of traffic.

Pros: Friendly staff

Cons: A bit far from center

Good cafe - Edit

I went here for dinner one night at around 7PM and wanted to try the pizza with cheese made from tofu as well as a seitan pastry. However, another customer who was a local, mentioned to me that everything is prepared in advance and that the pizza, seitan pastry, pasta, etc had been sitting around all day. He recommended the sandwiches as they were cold sandwiches and so were ok even though they had been made at around 11AM. I had the hemp burger which had tofunaise; it was big, filling and tasty. The other customer mentioned Upcafe was good for lunch as then the food was fresh. I returned the next day around 2PM and by that time, they had sold out of a lot of their items. However, I had already eaten at their sister restaurant and just wanted coffee with soy milk (they also have oat milk). Unlike, their sister restaurant Makro Vega, Upcafe has wifi so it's a nice place to sit for a while. I also asked whether they had the means to heat up food if I got it in the evening and they said they did. They also have two set lunches which are 35 kuna; one is a healthy lunch and the other is a protein lunch. They are the same every day though and given my limited time in Split, I didn't get a chance to try them. Upcafe seems like a very nice place for coffee or sandwiches.

Pros: has soy and oat milk, free wifi

Cons: everything prepared in advance, limited selection later in the day

Quick bite for vegans/vegetarians - Edit

I love this place. It is not located in the old part of the town and is easily reached by car. This little cafe serves various healthy snacks and is a true find for anyone looking for a quick bite. It also serves daily soups (which are fabulous), pasta with tomato sauce and some other hot dishes. Also great variety of sweet treats is available but if you are vegan make sure you ask first which are.

Very good! - Edit

The type of food they offer is similar to that of Makro Vega; very healthy and cheap! I had the burrito, spring roll and a pastry and was impressed with all of them.

Staff spoke good English and were friendly, only minor disappointment for me was that they didn't serve the vegan sushi anymore (it was on the online menu)

Pros: Friendly staff, Healthy food, Good value for money

Great place! - Edit

This is really nice Cafe! Clean, modern and confortablenwith tasty and healthy food. Be aware that they have 1 or 2 plates (sushi, I guess) that has fish.
We had the Healthy Meal and was great!

Pros: Place, Options, Healthy

Cons: Parking, Closed Sun. After 13h

Amaaaaazing! - Edit

Thank goodness we found this place!!!!! We stayed in Split for 3 days and would have been lost without Upcafe. The other veg restaurant, Makro Vega, was closed for two weeks (I guess the owners were on holiday or something?), which fell during the time we were there, so Upcafe was our only real option left. And it did NOT disappoint. Was so good we went back a second time! Food was delicious, plentiful, and cheap! Staff was wonderful - the girl working there spoke great English and helped us (patiently) figure out what all of the foods in the display case were. Thank you Upcafe!

take care - Edit

if you are not careful and ask precisely what they have put in deserts, you might end up having milk, brown sugar or soya artificial cream. i like their food very much but it was painful when i noticed that my apple strudel has been taken with bare hands and than the girl handled the money as well. if you are not strict vegan/ macrobiotic, than all this means nothing to you, but if you are, than you get annoyed.

Pros: apple strudel, nice interior

Cons: unexperienced staff

Vegan surprises - Edit

I LOVE this little cafe. It is modern, hip and inexpensive. They have vegan sweets, hot food and sandwiches, cream soups and even cappucino, all vegan. They can direct you to the vegan products, knowing the words for milk and eggs or what you want to avoid helps a lot. Definitely a favorite!

Pros: great prices, fresh food

Cons: hard to find parking

Small Cafe with good veg/vegan options - Edit

Upcafe is a small cafe with a number of vegan options. I am not sure if all of their desserts are vegan, but it looked like everything they were offering for the day was vegetarian or vegan.

I tried their carrot and soy cream soup, and it was delicious. I also had their vegan burrito (which is actually more like a wrap) that was also quite good. The only downside is that I went around 7 pm, and they did not have the full menu as listed online (I guess because a number of items had already sold out for the day.)

Upcafe is a reasonably priced place with fresh vegan options located about 15 minutes walking distance from Riva in Split. The staff member spoke English and was very friendly/helpful.

Pros: fresh ingredients, healthy cuisine, yummy food

satisfied! - Edit

Upcafé is a nice place a little bit outside of the old town. From there you should plan a 15 min walk. But it is worth it. Upcafé offers a variety of vegan and vegetarian choices and freshly squeezed juices. The café is modern and the staff is friendly and the food was good. Even deserts with no sugar are on the menu.
Updated from previous review on Friday April 22, 2011

Pros: atmosphere, friendly staff, good food & prices

Cons: not in the centre, no big meals

Return to Split Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Upcafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4729 times since Apr 2011.