First Review by Ryecatcher

Delicious and cozy - Edit

I had a vegan meal, not a lot of choices for vegan but I chose the pasta and it was amazing. My carnivore friend said her burger was the best she had ever had. The menu is small but it was all classy versions of average pub food. Great cocktail selection. Staff wasn't super attentive but it was easy to get their attention

Pros: delicious fresh food

Cons: few vegan and vegetarian options

Great pub/restaurant - Edit

The employees are extra-nice. There is a good range of beers and the food was delicious. It is a great place to take your sceptic meat-eating friends to when you are vegan or vegetarian. Will definitely come back.

Vegan haggis - Edit

Cozy but hard to find, look for the street sign. Both me and my 9-year old daughter took the veggie haggis. The sauce wasn't vegan, but the rest was and it was great! Propper Scottish comfort food!

For (alcoholic) basement lovers - Edit

Under the Stairs is a pretty well hidden basement bar. (To be fair: Their name doesn't lie.) So there is no sunlight whatsoever, dim lighting (mostly candles), but nicely furnished and decorated.
There is a fair amount of vegetarian dishes on the menu, vegan less so, however, at least a few. I tried the carrot burger with the pink grapefruit salad on the side. They offer plenty of alcoholic beverages but I didn't pay much attention what's on there. All I can say is that they wouldn't know which beers were vegan ("there is no way to find out").
My burger was excellent! Very tasty, great patty and good bun, too. The grapefruit salad was a bit odd but not bad either (I expected more grapefruit in it; sadly it was mainly juice tossed upon everything else.)
Very quick service in the beginning, then pretty quickly change for the worse (no idea why).
I'd like to return on another occasion to try some of their cocktails (and, maybe, the second vegan dish they provide), since the atmosphere was very nice (you have to like dark basements, basically).
Pricewise nothing to complain. WiFi flawless.
Between three and four cows - but since it's the first review I don't want to spoil their business.

Pros: great dark atmosphere, excellent carrot burger

Cons: unreliable quality of service, only few vegan options

Return to Edinburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Under the Stairs closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.