First Review by mourn-me-in-skirt

Love the food, not the service. - Edit

This review may be echoing what others have already said, but... I'll go ahead.

My husband and I visit this location nearly once per month, if we happen to be in the area. He is a huge fan of the floating idli appetizer, and both of us love the dosas too! We've also tried a couple of the rice dishes, and those are well-made also. Everything has the right amount of spice, unlike some Indian places that prefer to make things mild for the American customers.

On the other hand, the service here is pretty meh. Nobody's rude or anything, but they are mostly inattentive. Sometimes employees are just standing around...

Pros: spicy food!, south indian comforts, fair prices

Cons: inattentive service

okay food, poor service - Edit

My partner and I went out on Valentines Day for dinner here and though it was busy and we expected a wait we didn't expect to be seated and have to wait over 40 minutes to be greeted and given menues. The wait staff had never seen an interracial gay couple and it became obvious that no one wanted to serve us. The manager came over after arguing with the server and abruptly took our order. not going back.

Pros: clean , nice space

Cons: rude service , long wait

All Around Wonderful - Edit

Whenever I'm in the neighborhood, I love to stop in at Udupi Palace. It is so wonderful to be able to order anything on the menu. The dosai are always wonderful (it's a thin crepe filled with a variety of veggie delights). I cannot get enough of their uthappams -- I may have botched the spelling -- it's a huge thin indian pancake that u can get with a variety of veggie combos.

Also worth noting is that this place has always been clean when I've gone there. I have not found the same with other restaurants on the block.

The service is great. Setting is casual. Staff is welcoming, friendly and kind.

They cook the vegetables so well!!! ;) - Edit

I eat a lot of Indian food and I will say this place has done it right. Usually when I go to Indian restaurants the vegetables are so over cooked that the meal is just unpleasant. Udupi Palace cooked the vegetables perfectly (so they still had a crunch to them) and I felt the entrees were flavored well; however, I asked for my food very spicy and it wasn't up to my spicy standards. So if you'd like your food very spicy, you may want to strongly emphasize that point. Overall though, I can't wait to come back!!!

Ok place - Edit

Seen this place on "Check please" and after all the rant and rave I decided to check it out. Overall it was fair. The appetizer Aloo Bonda was delish. Can't remember what the entree was that I ordered, def a Dosai though. It was alright. I like the various sauces they give with pretty much everything. I would try it again. Any suggestions on what others are raving about might be helpful since I was a little confused on what to order. Service was slow.

Pros: various sauces, large menu

Cons: not sure what to order, slow service

check other restaurants in the neighborhood - Edit

This place is in a Indian pocket with lots of other options..The food was good, but the waiter was a little sketchy about the vegan thing. It's all veg there but items that are vegan are blurry. When I go back to that area I would definitely try somewhere else.

Bring your non-veg friends here! - Edit

Brought 3 non-vegetarian friends to this restaurant, and they all loved the food. The food was fantastic, there was a ton of it, you can BYOB (IF you can find the single tiny hidden liquor store in the area). This place might be the cliche veg place on Devon, but I also think it really is the best one.

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Udupi Palace closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1841 times since Aug 2007.