First Review by happyvegans

Nope, go elsewhere - Edit

This place is great IF you enjoy hidden meat products. SURPRISE! I ordered the drunken noodles due to a recommendation by a vegan friend and guess what--we both ate meat?! The drunken noodle dish contains clam sauce. I started to feel queasy and only ate 1/4 of the dish before I realized that the sauce didn't smell right. I asked the waiter and he told me the sad truth.

I didn't make it home before I unleashed the contents of my stomach into the toilet at Whole Foods. I have been strict vegetarian for 10 years and have not eaten seafood since I was 5.

The tofu appetizer was great(It did not taste like meat, and was very crispy), as was the vibe and minimalist décor.

I don't think that this restaurant is particularly 'friendly'(Just go to Whole Foods) unless they want to create a vegan/vege menu. Please please avoid or ask before ordering--clarify that the dish contains no animal products. Why do they mark egg, but not fish or clam sauce?! Seafood is not a vegetable!

This place is not for vegans or vegetarians and certainly not for people with seafood allergies either.

Pros: great location, nice appetizer, diverse menu

Cons: secret clam sauce, waiters are not all fluent in English, No veg/e menu

Disappointing - Edit

While the food was delicious & beautiful, I don't believe the person waiting on us was honest. We are on a WFPB diet which is like vegan only stricter with no added oils. I specifically asked if anything had oil in it & was looked at like that was ridiculous & told "no". I also asked if the dishes we chose were vegan & told they would be. The tofu had obviously been deep fried with OIL & must have been the same oil used to fry the fish & shrimp since it tasted just like them. I also wonder if there wasn't fish sauce in some of the dishes. I tend to think customers are told what they want to hear. It's a shame since it can really be detrimental to people's health.

2 Responses

Tasty vegan and gluten free options! - Edit

This is my favorite place to get vegan and gluten free thai food. The sit in area is small, but the service is wonderful and the curry is fantastic.

Pros: vegan AND gluten free, excellent and quick service, great for carry-out

Cons: small seating area

Slowly going downhill - Edit

When this first opened, I used to LOVE it, but I agree with the other commenters. After finding chicken (!) in a tofu curry dish, not once but three times, I started to doubt the veracity of their "no fish sauce" claims. That said, they are still a decent place for appetizers (especially if you want to get summer rolls with tofu inside!), but the lack of brown rice and the fact that the health code score keeps slipping while the place smells more and more like a pet store makes it harder to eat there.

Pros: cheap, large menu, appetizers veg friendly for real

Cons: "fish" sauce, meat contamination, cleanliness

Vegan delight appetizer very good! - Edit

The vegan delight appetizer (battered and fried tofu and butternut squash with a sweet chili dipping sauce) is very good! We have heard tale that the other 'vegan/vegetarian' entrees may contain fish sauce. When I've asked, I'm not 100% sure that I'm getting a 'real' answer. We stopped going after a vegan friend had a piece of fish in his dish. Buyer beware.

Pros: Vegan delight!

Cons: Busy, Fish tank in restaurant, Unsure about veg*n status

Return to Durham Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Twisted Noodles closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1500 times since Dec 2008.