True Bistro

Contact 617-627-9000

1153 Broadway (at Teele Square), Somerville, Massachusetts, USA, 02144

Contemporary vegan cuisine and drinks in a upscale atmosphere, near Redline Davis Square. Offers gluten-free and nut-free menus as well, and brunch is served on weekends. Day prices are moderate, dinner more expensive. Open Wed-Thu 5:00pm-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-3:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, International, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Fusion

First Review by andrea

World Class Vegan Restaurant - Edit

We love True Bistro, it is a world class vegan restaurant. The food is spectacular. Menu changes seasonally. Tonight I'm going in and enjoying stuffed zucchini blossoms stuffed with delish cashew cream, the strawberry cheezcake is a big hit, the cauliflower croquette is marvelous, the soba noodle and tempura is great having that tonight, as are the seitan skewers which I had last week, french fries, roasted beet & fennel salad, and the Green curry dish. Everything is great-you cannot go wrong here. Nice atmosphere and romantic. Easy street parking. Wonderful staff too.

Pros: World Class Vegan Food with lovely setting, Some dishes organic, non smoking, artful presentat, Delish seasonal changing menu, sweet staff

Cons: None, They have not opened another restaurant in my town, No reservations for brunch

Best non ethnic vegan restaurant in greater Boston - Edit

True Bistro is a true gem. While some may find the menu pricey, the food is worth every penny. This is a vegan version of a gourmet restaurant and the food easily holds its own. If you are looking for a place to take a skeptical non-vegan, True Bistro is the answer. You will spend the meal listening to exclamations of 'I can't believe this is vegan!', while savoring one of the best meals you've ever had. The menu changes regularly, so I won't list favorite dishes, but my family and I have been many times and have yet to have even a bite that was less than excellent. In addition, the weekend brunch is also fantastic.

Worth the cost - Edit

Friends who appreciate that my wife and I are vegan introduced us to True Bistro where we enjoyed a wonderful selection of distinctive and delicious dishes. The service was impeccable, friendly, but not cloying. The ambiance of the room was cozy, open, and not noisy. The location to Davis Square and the Somerville Theater is a short, convenient walk.
We will return again when we are in town.

Pros: Variety of dishes, Size of portions, Service

Cons: The price makes dining here a special occasion, ra

Upscale vegan dining - the only one around! - Edit

True Bistro is worth the drive for the only upscale vegan option in the Boston area. The menu is varied and the food delicious! My favorite is a phyllo wrapped dish, and a few weeks ago my husband and I shared a warm pecan pie dessert that was divine. The staff is attentive. Although the menu, and pricing, is "upscale", the restaurant is small and noisy, with the tables packed together.

Pros: Excellent menu, Gourmet dishes, Luscious warm desserts

Cons: Small and noisy, Tables packed together

Always Terrific - Edit

I've been going to True for years and never disappointed! Great dishes, good selection, always fresh and imaginative. Brunch on weekends is also great!

Pros: everything

Cons: none

Yummy Sunday Brunch - Edit

This is a great eatery. We stopped in on as we travelled through the area. The Tofu Benedict was fantastic and included a lemony sauce on top of a stylish savory biscuit. The dish included a side salad and an order of home fries. The wait staff was very friendly. We will be back!!
Updated from previous review on Sunday November 08, 2015

Pros: Great food choices

amazing - Edit

Obviously expensive, this is such a great date night / treat yourself restaurant.

Not from Boston, this was one of the few places I knew I needed to visit when I went.

Two drinks, two appetizers, two entrees and two desserts for about 100$.

The owner is amazing and very kind.

The food is worth the money. It's inspired, creative, and very very tasty. You should go here if you can afford it and support and incredible vegan restaurant.

Wonderful! - Edit

I love this place and wish I could go there more. The food is lovingly prepared and beautifully presented. As a vegan business owner, I appreciate that True Bistro is completly vegan. Thanks Stuart and gang for not compromising, preparing vegan food that all people like, not just vegans, and raising the bar on what vegan food can be.

outstanding! - Edit

This place is a truly wonderful gem in Somerville. The cashew chèvre is to die for! My husband and I visited for valentines day and can't wait to go back. Excellent service, excellent food, excellent atmosphere. You must eat here!

OK - Edit

I visited for my birthday with a few friends. I was excited as this is the only upscale vegan restaurant in the Boston area. The place was nice enough, and the waiter was even nice enough to bring over a free dessert with a candle for me.

What I was bummed about was the food. It just wasn't that great, no one really enjoyed their meal.

Pros: Upscale

Cons: Food

Bait and switch. Management lacks integrity. - Edit

Do not trust True Bistro. Management does not honor promotions. See details below and on tripadvisor and yelp.

Pros: None. Don't eat here.

Cons: My wife and I arrived at True Bistro because we re

really great, fine food - Edit

Excellent, upscale food and drink. Nice atmosphere, attentive service, owner present as host. Food was all sensitively seasoned, the wilted spinach salad really stood out. Good basic menu options, customized for individual needs. Craft beers, vegan wine options, hard liquor--all seemed good. The desserts were vegan and super yummy. A bit pricey, but all top quality. May be the best vegan place in Boston.

Pros: creative menu, excellent quality food, great service

Cons: slightly pricey

Wish I'd come sooner! - Edit

I received a couple of gift cards to True Bistro over a year ago and finally made the drive to Somerville to give it a try. LOVED IT! The atmosphere is upscale, the wait staff was friendly and attentive, most importantly the food was fabulous. My husband and I shared the Baked Apple Salad and Wilted Spinach salad, both fabulous. I had the house-made fettuccini w/arugula pesto and he had the Vietnamese crepe. To be honest, neither of us particularly liked the crepe (I'm not a big mushroom fan) but everything else was just great. Don't miss the Death by Chocolate cake for dessert, which I enjoyed with a nice red wine. We went in shortly before 6 on a Saturday and were immediately seated. Had we been 45 minutes later we would have had to wait a bit. They do take reservations, but all were taken when we called, so we took our chances and it worked out. Also, be warned that True Bistro is on the expensive side. Between us we had 2 salads, 2 "large plate" entrees, 2 desserts, 1 coffee, and 3 glasses of wine and the bill was about $130 including tip. This will be our "special occasion" place (at least when it's my pick, I'm vegan, my husband it not ). Enjoy!

Pros: Upscale, Excellent Food, Great service

Cons: Expensive, Not near home (45 minutes for us)

My Favorite - Edit

LOVE True Bistro. It is upscale yet casual. The service is amazing. You literally feel like royalty when dinning there, yet feel comfortable and relaxed. You never feel rushed. The food is amazing! I highly recommend the Wilted Spinach Salad and Death By Chocolate for desert! I have tried almost all the entries and have loved everyone of them. My favorite, however, is the Vietnamese Crepe. 100% vegan. We go for celebrations and special occasions.

Pros: Wonderful atmosphere, great service, Best food in the Boston area

Cons: pricey

The Best Vegan Dinner Options Around - Edit

I was a very happy vegan after my visit to True Bistro. The only complaint was that the portions are rather small for their price, but then again I kind of eat a lot so it might just be me. Their cheesecakes are amazing.

Best in Boston - Edit

Now that Peace o' Pie has closed, I have no internal conflict about declaring True hands-down the best vegan restaurant in Boston. I've been here dozens of times, often with my non-vegan girlfriend and we both enjoy it, especially brunch.

The atmosphere is very nice here, like an upscale restaurant with candles at night and fresh flowers, with white/gray/black decor and (white-washed) brick walls featuring local artists' work. The food is relatively fancy, small portions with nice presentation/color. For dinner, I favor the phyllo purse and house-made pasta (currently fettucini) and strawberry rhubarb cobbler for dessert (though all their desserts I've tried were great). For brunch, I favor the tofu scramble with onions, peppers and seitan sausage (though I also like the waffles, crepes and coffee cake). For sides, I often get their salads or excellent french-fries.

One thing that sets this place apart from the other vegan restaurants in Boston is their extensive drink menu (they serve alcohol!), with vegan-verified wines, so if you like to drink with dinner (or brunch), this is your best bet.

A con is their limited menu, which doesn't change very often. Compared to say Red Lentil, which is lacto-ovo vegetarian, they both have about the same number of vegan options. However, the choices they have are good and I have some hope that they'll change things up more in the future (now that they're fairly well established).

As with almost every vegan place I've been to (except a few in California), they're on the small side and since they're popular, it can get crowded and you may have to wait on occasion, but for a party of 2, I've seldom had to wait more than 10 minutes (and usually not at all). Friday and Saturday nights are their most crowded time, you should expect some waiting then.

Pros: delicious (& fancy) food, friendly staff, nice atmosphere

Cons: limited menu, may have to wait during peak times

Worth it! - Edit

I can already see we'll be going back to True Bistro a LOT. Tonight we enjoyed:

1) Leek tart-->completely amazing
2) Cornmeal-crusted oyster mushrooms-->quite good
3) Roasted winter squash-->quite good
4) Phyllo triangles-->incredibly, unbelievably amazing

Can't wait to try the rest of their menu soon!

Pros: great taste, creative combinations, pleasant atmosphere

1 True Bistro is a wonderful experience - Edit

We have been vegan about 2 years and found True Bistro on Happy Cow (Thanks!) and tried it out while visiting Seudo Shoe's in the same town (vegan shoes). We have now been their twice in two months and we live 2 hours away.

True Bistro is a small restaurant with a European feel. The bistro has an ecclectic menu with entrees ranging from asian style curry's to Italian style sweet potato ravioli. The food is high end and the presentation is wonderful the prices are very reasonable (~$17 per entree). They have an extensive bar with a good Wine and drinks selection as well.

Don't leave without getting desert, you won't be disappointed.

It's one of the best restaurants (vegan or otherwise) I have eaten at so far and is on par with Candle 79 in NYC.

Pros: Excellent food, Professional Staff, Ambiance

A Little, East Coast Millennium - Edit

Cloth napkins and table cloths. New silverware with each course. An appetizer, two entries, two glasses of wine and two ginger beers for under $80. All of that *and* the food is pretty good! (It's not Millennium good, but it's closer than anything else I've had in the Boston area.)

Highlights were the cornmeal encrusted oyster mushrooms with horseradish tartar sauce; blackened seitan with melted collards and grits.

Pros: Cozy, Big bang for buck, Awesome seitan

True Bistro very busy - Edit

A lot of soy products, nothing RAW
adorable interior, nice wait staff
35 min wait to get in on a Monday evening
lovely presentation of the food, and tasty, just no vegan raw selections : (

Pros: friendly staff, good food, cute place

Cons: wait to get in, no vegan/raw choices

Worthwhile visit - Edit

When you want nicer vegan fare, this is the place to go. It isn't as good as Candle 79 in NYC but still worthwhile.

Menu selections: black bean and plantain torte was very nice but small portion. The seitan piccata was too chewy for me (Candle 79 does a much better job on their piccata) but the greens and potato mash were nice. The phyllo purse was a true sight for the eyes - gorgeous presentation and it had nice flavour. because there are no juices or smoothies on their menu (hopefully that isn't a marker of why it is considered upscale, grrr), I had room for dessert. Death by Chocolate was a creamy mocha-enhanced chocolate tofu mousse cake. Nice and not overtly sweet. The Napoleon was recommended but we were let down since it was more of a deconstructed Napoleon.

Recommended.

An upscale vegan place worth visiting! - Edit

I've been here for brunch, lunch, and dinner. I've had their wines, desserts, and appetizers. Their food is amazing, and if my budget were a bit looser I'd go there more often. Brunch and lunch is about $10-15 on average, dinner at least $17-25. Not cheap but you get what you pay for: a vegan gourmet foodie and wine lover's dream. VERY happy to live so close to this restaurant!

Pros: wine pairings, variety, quality

Cons: pricy

Awesome! - Edit

I have been here a number of times now, brunch, lunch, and dinner. All great meals. Been with vegans and non vegans and they have all (except one) enjoyed their food as well. I love the brunch menu, love the desserts...nothing bad to say! and i just realized i could order take out for lunch from there!

Delightful - Edit

Since our family became 100% vegan 3 years ago, we've hunted for vegan restaurants our kids would enjoy. Current family favorites include Green Elephant in Portland Maine and Ethos in Orlando. But until we discovered True Bistro this weekend, we thought there was nothing comparable in the Boston area.
Sunday morning we went to True Bistro for brunch. Service and staff and terrific; everyone loved their food and everyone left stuffed. The kids had: waffle with fruit compote and maple syrup, waffle with fresh fruit and whipped cream, crepe with banana and chocolate hazel nut sauce, cheeseburger with mushrooms, and portobello mushroom panini. The parents had tofu benedict and a tofu scramble with chevre and herbs and a bowl of fresh fruit. Don't miss the desserts - the coffee cake and cinnamon roll were outstanding (we had to get ours to enjoy later, after we'd had time to digest!)
Of all the entrees, only the cheeseburger was disappointing; not bad, just ordinary. Also we're not fans of Daiya cheese - we use Vegan Gourmet at home. The chevre in the tofu scramble is housemade from cashews and is excellent.
All in all a delightful experience. We'll definitely be back to experience the lunch and dinner menus,

Pros: tasty, kid-friendly foods, good service

Cons: Better options for cheese than Daiya

Wonderful surprise - Edit

My husband and I were visiting the Boston area and found True Bistro on HappyCow. We called and were so impressed by the owners warm invitation that we gave it a try. We were so glad we did - the food and wine pairings were absolutely amazing. The positive vibe and enthusiasm of the owner Mike and his staff made for a wonderful ambience. We couldn't have asked for a better place for a date. We highly recommend anyone that is anywhere near the Somerville area check it out.

Pros: Fantastic food and wine pairings, Great price on entrees and wine, Wonderful ambience

Really, really good - Edit

Finally an upscale vegan restaurant in Boston area! Some people compare it to Blossom in NYC and Millennium in San Francisco; while I haven't been to the latter, I found True Bistro superior to the overrated and overpriced Blossom.

My partner and I got here early on a Saturday evening at around 5:30 since we had to go see a show after and apparently they don't take reservations for parties of less than six people. After about an hour the place was already full, but they do have a bar table with stools where you can wait or even dine there if you don't mind.

For the meal, first we got a bowl of soup du jour to share, which was a cream of artichoke soup topped with croutons and fresh chives. The flavor was subtle but not bland, and not overly salted like many restaurant soups are, very tasty when dipped with the accompanied french bread. Then we moved on to appetizers: the black bean and plantain torte and the ravioli. The tortes were pretty creative and went really well with the salsa and sour cream. The ravioli were smothered in this thick creamy sauce, so good I would have licked the plate clean if it would be considered a decent table manner.

For entrees we got the phyllo purse and the sweet potato roulade. The purse had such beautiful presentation and wonderful flavors, the mole with the pepita-arugula bed was just fantastic, definitely the highlight of our meal. The roulade was also delicious with the porcini gravy, which was very rich and full of the yumminess of mushrooms and herbs.

For dessert we got the death-by-chocolate cake, which was highly recommended by our server. It was flourless and actually more like a thick creamy chocolate mousse cake. It wasn't very sweet and the tofu was strong enough to be discernible, so I asked one of the servers if it was tofu-based and she confirmed. I wouldn't recommend anyone that doesn't like the taste of tofu in desserts to order this one; but we don't mind at all and for sure enjoyed it.

The whole meal cost about $65 sans tip/drinks, which I found very reasonable given the quality of food and portion size. Service was prompt and attentive, decor immaculate, simple yet elegant. Every dish we had was delectable, the flavors were delicate and well-balanced in that you can really taste the different vegetables, herbs, and spices. This is vegan cuisine at its finest.

Pros: amazing food, reasonable prices

Excellent Brunch - Edit

Went to True Bistro for Sunday brunch in its third week of operation. Really excellent - my gf had tofu benedict (lovely light saffrony sauce, on delicious biscuits), and I had a tofu scramble with house-made chevre and herbs. Yummy. Good Bloody Marys, very friendly service, the place was doing a good business. We'll be back for dinner!

Great Addition to Boston Veg Scene - Edit

Finally a vegan restaurant in (near) Boston for more of a fine dining experience. The owners were determined to open a place like that, including a liquor license. The interior is very simple: done in black and white with pale gray walls. We were at a soft opening, so things were still rough around the edges. We had the parsnip cream soup, which was very good; and a mesclun salad with Marcona almonds (Love them!) and a perfectly applied lemon-caper dressing. We knew several people who were there at the same time. The arugula salad with pomogranate looked beautiful and got a great review.
We ordered seitan/veg burgers. They didn't have it yet, but will be using Iggy's bread which will support these slightly messy burgers really well. Mine was caramelized onion and ranch dressing. My husband had avocado and Daiya cheese. Both were delicious. The fries were not up to par, lacking the real crunch and saltiness of a great fry.

Friends gave big thumbs up to their choices: mushroom tacos, sausage and pesto gemelli pasta, the quiche and a couple of other sandwiches.

We look forward to going back for dinner where there are some far more sophisticated options. The chef once worked at Millenium, so it's pretty promising! Again, I don't want to dwell on some service problems as it was a very crowded special event. Hopefully those will be all worked out as True opens normally. I hope we can upgrade to 5 cows soon.

Pros: Food, Very promising!, Vegan owned

Cons: Bit of a walk to the T

Return to Somerville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has True Bistro closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7175 times since Nov 2010.