Tofoo Com Chay

• Vegetarian
Contact 408-286-6335

388 E Santa Clara St (at 9th St), San Jose, California, USA, 95113

Small place with good food - try the sesame 'chicken' sandwich or rice plates and steam buns. Apparently the "drumsticks" they sell contain whey, but everything else should be vegan. Operated by disciples of master Ching Hai. Also known as "Ben's" after the friendly owner.

Category: Vegan-friendly

First Review by

Brilliant food fast, cheap, and flavorful! - Edit

This place is by far the best one to find cheap, easy, and lovely vegan food. It is my go to place which every week.

It is relatively small but, they have a few chairs outside. They do also To-go orders which are super lovely.

I usually get the three item plates which costs around 8 dollars but, it is loaded with food. This is best price you cannot beat it.

Pros: Price, Taste, Choices

Cons: Small area, Hours closes early and closed on Sundays

Gooood place - Edit

Among the vegetarian places I eat, this one is a nice
small place, good food, good price.
Got to try "PHO". This place is known for its PHO vietnamese noodle soup.
When outside is cold, stop by this place, eat the PHO and then you'll appreciate how good the soup is.
THe sandwich and others items are also as good.
Can't wait to return.

Pros: Good food, Good price, friendly

My Take on this great store - Edit

I used to deliver beer here from The Blue & Gray Brewing Co. in Fredericksburg. I sometimes grabbed a quick bite to eat while there. I am not a vegetarian mostly because physiologically we as humans do not have a digestive tract that is even close to being long enough to properly digest a diet consisting primarily of vegetable matter. I am a meat eater. I buy my meats from farmers that pasture their animals and do not ever use hormones, antibiotics, or pesticides. Man evolved on a diet primarily of meat and consumed vegetable matter only in season. Not a political statement just an observation. I love this store because everyone I ever dealt with was very friendly and helpful. The store seems to be very well run and is kept clean too.

every tuesday night - Edit

my boyfriend and i come for dinner. we eat, and get take away for our meal the next night. predictable items are in the deli case, but thats what we like the most, this sort of uniformity. there are phos and sandwiches for those who wish, and other vegan items for sale on the counter.
ben, ti and daniel are all so friendly and helpful its hard to stay away. missing a tuesday, we feel guilty about not having let them know we are coming in!
portions are fairly sized, there is brown rice available, and even though the place is tiny there is always a table which opens up just in time.
for meat substitute vietnamese meal, this is the best there is and as good as it gets.

Pros: quality, flavor, choice, first-name service, easy to get to, near sjsu

Cons: sometimes a bit oily, wait a bit long at times, take out seems to be the priority

Awesome! - Edit

I love this place! The food is really good, cheap, quick and the owner is really friendly. They do 1, 2 or 3 item lunches that are I think $3.50, $4.00, and $4.50. The sandwiches are about $2.50. A small tub of veggie grilled pork for takeout is only $3.00 and will make plenty of sandwiches or several dishes at home.

Favorites:
* Grilled Veggie pork (more like veggie beef to me), by itself or in a sandwich)
* Spicy Soup (it's still good but it used to be better; I heard they changed chefs recently)
* Drum sticks
* Sesame style skewers
* Black Pepper Sausage
* Tartex veggie pate (if you've never had this before you MUST try it; I used to buy it in England all the time when I lived there but can't really find it over here)
* Lemongrass tofu
* Spicy/sweet Dark veggie tofu skin snack things...I don't know what they are called and they don't always have them (they'll be in a container on the counter if they do) but they are really tasty!

...and I think there's some others I'm forgetting. I try and check out a new dish each time I go while getting my fill on at least one I really like.

The only thing they could improve on is the location; it's pretty small and crowded during lunch. The tables are pretty much two people tables with only a couple that will hold more. So go before 12pm if you can or a little after 1. Parking around there is pretty much metered street parking so bring some quarters.

Pros: Food is awesome, good selection also, Friendly owner, cheap and quick

Cons: Small size and number of tables, Parking

GREAT FOOD!! - Edit

The food here is REALLY good. Lots to choose from. Reasonably priced!Sandwiches and soups are wonderful. I've tried almost everything on the menue and it's all terrific!!

Pros: great food

Cons: cash only

Return to San Jose Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tofoo Com Chay closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2946 times since Aug 2007.