Tierra Cafe

Contact 213-629-1402

818 Wilshire Blvd Ste D (at Figueroa), Los Angeles, California, USA, 90017

Downtown Los Angeles vegetarian cafe. Located inside a busy fast food court that is popular with the downtown work crowd. Menu consists of light meals such as breakfast, sandwiches, wraps, organic coffee, elixir tonics and teas. Many options can be made vegan upon request. Counter service. Difficult street parking. Mon-Fri 6:30am-4:00pm Closed weekends.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Fast food, Take-out, Catering

First Review by Hoveringdog

Great for brekkie or brunch! - Edit

Dropped in for some breakfast whilst staying in the downtown area. I had vegan French toast, whilst my friends had tofu burritos. All very good, and there was a lot of other vegan friendly stuff on the menu that all sounded great, mostly breakfast/brunch and lunch type stuff. The best place to eat that we found in the area.

Great food, reasonable prices - Edit

I eat at Tierra several times a week as my office is right next door. The food is tasty, cheap and the Kims are the nicest people! My favorite menu items are the croissant sandwich, BLT, pot sticker salad and sesame chicken wrap. The fresh juices are also good, and a fraction of the cost that other places in the area charge.

The Only Vegetarian in Downtown - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Tierra Cafe eview.

Considering that this is the few all-vegetarian eatery in hub of downtown, I have to give it a lot of credit. Went to get lunch here, and parking was near impossible, unless you want to pay money for parking, so we ended up parking a couple blocks away at the Macy's department store structure that was free with validation.

We had heard and read reviews about Tierra Cafe but were quite surprised to find that it's a booth in a fast food court. However, what set it apart from the other food booths was that this was all vegetarian (with vegan options), had fresh juices and organic coffee. We got a Tierra veggieburger that came with side of fries, a portabella mushroom w/ cheese sandwiche that came with side of salad, and a tortilla soup. The veggieburger was basic, the fries were lukewarm, the soup was salty and boring, but the mushroom sandwich was very tasty. My partner gives Tierra 3-cows. I give it 4-cows.

Pros: inexpensive, fast

Cons: noisy food court, simple food

Good food, good prices! - Edit

I ate here three times while I was in LA for a Convention. If you are staying near the Convention Center this is a very convenient choice!

I had a Portabello Panini, a Hummus wrap, and a tofu scramble during my stay here. The Panini was very, very good and highly recommended. The tofu scramble was very nicely seasoned and so big that I ended up eating half of it for dinner that night. The hummus wrap was good but if I had it to do again I would have ordered something different (what was I thinking, you can get a hummus wrap anywhere!).

The staff were amazingly nice, but didn't speak English that well which made it hard to ask questions about the menu.

This restaurant is recommended for anyone, but especially for those in LA for a Convention.

Pros: Great Food, Nice Staff, Close to the Convention Center

Cons: Limited Hours, Can be difficult to find seating at lunc, staff speak limited English

Charming - Edit

I really liked my breakfast from Tierra, though I do have some complaints.
I'm sure I'm just an ignoramus, but finding parking was a nightmare, and the parking that we did find was outrageously expensive. We got our food to go, and we still clocked 6 bucks for parking.
I liked my french toast & soy chai latte, but I LOVED my tomato bagel. It had yummy sprouts on it, which lets me trick myself into believing that sprouts cancel out sugary french toast. :-)
My husband really didn't like his tofu scramble (describing it as raw tofu chunks in broth), and it really stank up our car.
I'm too scared about the parking to ever go back, probably, but it was a good breakfast. I'm sure if you have better knowledge of the city, you'd have a better experience!

Lifeline in downtown LA - Edit

If you are stuff in LA on business / work / etc I can't imagine a more perfect place. Tierra Cafe will customize anything and is super friendly. They made us healthy tacos with brown rice, beans, lettuce, carrots, sprouts, salsa on fresh corn tortillas. I was getting some cushions made in a factory down town and had two hours to kill. I must admit I had a hard time finding a meter (cheap parking) and finding the place since its hidden inside a fast food cafeteria type place. If I worked downtown I would definitely be a regular. This is not a destination for anyone looking to come downtown just to eat vegan (see Shojin for that), but its a lifeline for any vegans looking for food while downtown. (unless of course you live downtown)

Pros: great service, good quality food

Cons: inside a fast food cafeteria, parking

Varies daily - Edit

I've been here more than a few times and some days it's really delicious and fresh and other days, it's not so fresh. It's in a food court kind of place, so it's good if you're with friends who aren't vegan because they can choose from the other stands in the food court. I believe they close for the afternoons, so it's more of a breakfast and lunch place.

I was satisfied... - Edit

Some of these reviews really discouraged me, but I found myself sorta stranded at Olympic and Figueroa, hungry after a Bikram Yoga class, and this spot was on the way back...I tried the burrito with mock chicken, got a fresh apple-beet juice, and a sauteed vegetable salad...all were worth the cost and considering the circumstances, and my expectations based on other reviews, I was surprised...I'm not sure what it used to be, but it was worth it to me.

Pros: Location, Price

Veggie lunch spot in Downtown - Edit

If I'm meeting friends who also work downtown for lunch, I always suggest the Wilshire Food Court as I know I can eat at Tierra and they will have other choices if they want. The food hasn't blown me away, but it's good for lunch. I like the nachos and potsticker salad. You just have to make sure you get the vegan items or ask for the vegan cheese on wraps and sandwiches.

Pros: veggie lunch in downtown , good for meeting friends

Cons: not all vegan

I thought it was good! - Edit

My office recently moved downtown and I was worried about finding veg food. My co-worker and I ventured out today, thinking I may have difficulty finding something to eat, when we stumbled in to the Wilshire Food Court and I was SHOCKED to find a veg-friendly booth! I was so excited. After much deliberation, I decided on the spinach quesadilla. It was pretty delicious. Reasonably priced (not $10 for a measly sandwich!) and FYH vegan cheddar. I know a lot of vegans hate FYH but I thought it was pretty darn tasty in the quesadilla. The cilantro cream sauce was gooood. This was my first time, so I obviously hadn't experienced it when the previous owner was there, but I don't get all the negative reviews... but, I have only had one thing, maybe I just got lucky. The pita pizza is next!

Pros: reasonably priced, vegan cheese, pretty much the only veg place downtown

New Owners = bad food - Edit

I don't know why we have to delete prior reviews to post a new one (Happy Cow are you listening?)...Tierra Cafe had new owners take over sometime last year. Its gone totally downhill. It used to be my first organic/vegan choice, and now I won't go there at all. I'm not confident they are using organic produce, and the orders are usually wrong or take way too long for grab-n-go.

Pros: None, None, None

Cons: Old products, Long wait, Orders wrong

Friendly staff, Disappointing Food - Edit

My train into LA arrived a few hours earlier than I needed to be there, so I had some time to burn and proceeded to the only vegetarian eatery in downtown. I put down five bucks and some change for vegan French toast, and what I got was two slices - two! - of rubbery, warm bread with syrup and margarine. I felt a little ripped off, to be honest.

From the other reviews, I gather that the other items on the menu are far more satisfying and worth the money, but I was really disappointed. Still, if you're stuck in downtown and at the mercy of LA public transport, there aren't a lot of other options, and the staff at Tierra were genuinely friendly. But the French toast needs some serious work...

Pros: Friendly staff

Cons: Expensive, Small Portions

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tierra Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4400 times since Aug 2007.