First Review by otterpops00

Good Vietnamese Food - Edit

I've been going here for years. I just stick to the tried and true: Banh Uot Cha Lua Nem Nuong and Bi Cuon, unfortunately they only the Banh Uot on the weekends and it also runs out. I used to eat the noodle soups like Pho, but wasn't sure if there was MSG used or not. It's cash only. Service is pretty fast, and prices are pretty affordable. I usually call in and just pick up.

Pros: Fast, Vegan vietnamese food!

Cons: Cash only, Not sure if there's MSG in the soups

best Pho so far - Edit

This place hands down has the best veggie pho in LA. Highly recommend. ***CASH ONLY***
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 13, 2013

Pros: cheap, healthy, all veggie

Cons: cash only, small dining room

My non-vegetarian mom likes this place - Edit

I brought my 83 yrs old mom and my husband here today to try it. The place is not fancy. It's a mom and pop family restaurant, very small. There is only a few tables in this place and it is crowded. The place is so small that tables are too close to each other. Everything in it reminds me of Thuyen Vien in Anaheim. This is place is definitely a Buddhist Vegetarian restaurant from the look of the decorations and the Buddhist chanting music in the background.

We ordered #26, #31, #33, and #28. My non-vegetarian mom has been complaining that she cannot taste food anymore. She is loosing weight because all the food she has been eating has no taste to her although it usually looks good to her. Oh no, I hope she will like the food here, I thought. It's our first time here and who knows what will happen.

#26 is the Vietnamese Sour Soup. It is a well known soup to eat to accompany #31, lemongrass soy chicken with chili and #33, claypot fish. The menu has V as a mark of Vegan and all that we ordered has this mark.

#26 came out first. We started to scoop the really hot soup onto our bowls. My mom tasted it and smiled. 'You like?' I asked. ' Yes, I can taste', she said. Oh Thank God! I thought. She was eating the soup with gusto. She likes it. Then, the lemongrass chicken and claypot fish came out with a tub of steamed white rice. The dishes came out really hot and steamy in this place.

My husband said 'hmm...hmmm this is the best soy chicken I ever taste!...better than Thuyen Vien's garlic chicken' You got to be kidding. He is the only person I know who never likes soy chicken in any form or shape. Yup, he likes this one! He said 'you know me with soy chicken but man this is so goood....this is a red letter day and mark it in your calendar...i never say anything good about soy chicken but this is something else.' I replied, 'Are you sure? Maybe you are hungry.' 'No, he said, 'I am not really hungry. This is really good.'

So there! High marks on taste. The claypot fish was also really good. The Vietnamese egg rolls, #28 were large, crispy, and tasty. My mom usually doesn't eat rice because it is too bland for her and she can't taste it anymore. But today she ate rice and soup and chicken and fish and egg rolls. She liked all of them and was eating more than usual. I wish I can take her to eat here everyday.

This place is CASH ONLY! We'll be back.

Pros: Tasty, Price, Home cooking

Cons: Too far from home, Small, Not in a good area

Delicious food, surprisingly inexpensive - Edit

Although the waiter was a bit cold when we first entered, seating us without a smile or much of a welcome, he turned out to be friendly beneath an emotionless facade. He made great recommendations on the menu and adjusted our order to save us a bit of money off of the already inexpensive food. We got the spring roll appetizer (#1), one of the many pho options (#3), and the orange faux chicken (#22 iirc) and they were all great. The food came to $17 before tip and by the time we left, I really liked the straight-faced waiter. We're looking forward to trying other options on the menu! Photos of food at http://onensemble.org/2012/01/vegan-food-bike-tour/
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 01, 2012

Pros: good pho, good faux chicken

Cons: Not entirely vegan, but menu is labelled

Awesome food and a friendy staff! - Edit

The food here is very tasty and satisfying! Many of the dishes are Vietnamese. I had the chicken and rice which was delicious! My boyfriend had a soup, but I can't remember the name. It was a "beef" broth soup with veggie meats and it was just as good as my dish. The staff is very friendly and the prices are very reasonable. I highly recommend trying this place out.

Pros: Great food, Great price, Friendly staff

Cons: The location is kinda hidden

Return to El Monte Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Thien Tam closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2720 times since Dec 2009.