First Review by pheonix

Useful store, but could be much better - Edit

They have some nice hard to find items such as sun warrior protein and field roast. They could do a better job of offering more hard to find vegan items. They don't seem too interested in the veg lifestyle though, as the meats and fish get more shelf space than veg items. Some items are overpriced and can be bought at Zehrs for cheaper. The staff is not the greatest. They once made fun of me for buying daiya cheese and they are not very knowledgeable. I have heard them say some things to customers that are just flat out wrong.

Pros: Sell some hard to find items

Cons: Overpriced, Not very veg-friendly

Peanut -- allergy unfriendly health food store - Edit

just odd to have a peanut grinder inside a health food store. so many of us come to health food stores because of food sensitivities that having one of the most lethal allergens smelling up the store and leaving potential residue everywhere is just plain ... nuts.

Best health food store in region - Edit

My favourite health food store in Niagara. Salespeople, while generally too busy to help everyone, are knowledgeable and non-pushy. (Have heard some salespeople encourage pregnant moms to do detox cleanses, telling them they're perfectly safe because they're all natural! Please! Safe because natural?) Like insect sprays and sunscreens. Like freshness of products. One of my bigger issues is that staff routinely will answer the phone and turn their attentions to other customers on the phone, ignoring customers who have made it into the store and would like salesperson's time. Like birkenstocks and peanut points. Prices are better than healthy cupboard and A Healthier You. Salespeople are definitely more customer oriented and well educated.

Pros: knowledgeable staff, freshness, some good prices

Cons: phone usage

just a health food store - Edit

The Peanut Mill is a nice place to shop but its not much different from any other health food store. Not trying to put them down, just seems like every review is making a big deal of this place. Its good, but when you need something in the evening, they are closed. They charge more for items then the grocery stores. I know they have too. They rarely have more then one cashier. Every time I've been there its lined up. The last time I was there a young lady was working cash. She was so slow I could hardly bare standing there waiting, and I am very patient.

Pros: its al right

Cons: slooow cashier

Best store in st.catharines! - Edit

the peanut mill has the best local, organic produce i can find in the city. it is the best health food store in st.catharines! there are many vegan friendly products available, at a fair price. Everything is fresh, and you recieve points for your purchaces!

Pros: organic, local, fresh

TEMPEH!!! - Edit

So far in my travels The Peanut Mill is the ONLY place to get just tempeh (not burgers) in st. catharines. Which means its pretty awesome in my books! The local organic produce section, although small, is also something that I appreciate. Tofutti sour cream is key as well along with Endangered Species chocolate bars. Trying to think of negatives I can really only say I wish they would stop their current trend of trying to sell organic meat, but thats just because I am a bitter. Oh, and get Peace Cereal already!!! Oh one thing I forgot, I have not purchased anything in bulk their yet, however, I am pretty sure they do do alot of bulk orders for people. So if you are one of those rich/cheap veg people that is prolly pretty exciting for you. Overall though, the Peanut Mill is great.

Pros: Organic local produce, TEMPEH!!! / Endangered Species Chocolate, Bulk purchasing

Cons: No Peace Cereal, Organic Meat (BARF!) , A little pricey.

From a legume to a nut - Edit

From a Bean to a peanut, I'd like to say your store isn't all that bad. Although it's really rather small. I've had some trouble navigating wihtout a trip and fall. Your veggie options are quite nice, although you could use some spice. The tofutti that you pack is something others seem to lack. From a Bean to a peanut, I'd like to say one final thing, if you made some small improvements, your phone may finally ring. -Beaner (By the way, I give them a 3.5 Hapy cow raiting)

Pros: Tofutti brand, some vegan meals, good location

Cons: staff can be mean, very small

Return to St Catharines Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Peanut Mill closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2147 times since Aug 2007.