First Review by pheonix

Pretty good! - Edit

I was looking for somewhere in the area that had vegetarian options as well as meat options for my boyfriend. The atmosphere was really nice with the decorations and we got to sit in the tea room which pretty much meant you got to sit on the floor but it was a pretty interesting experience. Our waitress was very helpful especially with what was vegetarian and we both really enjoyed the food (we don't eat thai very often so neither of us really know what good thai food is we just thought it tasted good :). The only thing was that I ordered my pad thai medium (on a mild, medium, hot scale) because medium always tastes the best to me even though there was a pervious review on how spicy everything is, I thought I could handle it but apparently not because it was way too spicy for me but i guess that should have been implied with the name ahaha. Over all we enjoyed the experience and we will go back again.
Updated from previous review on Saturday April 18, 2015

Pros: very nice decor , good food

Cons: extremely spicy food

Okay - Edit

I have tried pad thai, fried rice, spicy vegetables, and tom yum soup. The food is pretty good but not spectacular. The pad thai isn't that great, and is worse than Sahla Thai on St Paul street. The fried rice is quite good. The spicy vegetables (served with rice) is probably the best thing I have tried. One persistent issue with the food is the inconsistent spiciness. I will often ask for "medium" and then I find the food to not be spicy at all. One time I asked for "hot" and it was way too spicy. There is no consistency here. You will either get food that is too mild or too hot, with no middle ground.

I would also recommend takeout as there is one server who is slightly crazy and seems to bother and intimidate the customers. It's not an enjoyable experience to dine in-house.

Pros: Amazing tofu, Fairly good food, Many dishes can be made vegan

Cons: Inconsistent spiciness, Bizarre wait staff that bother customers

Love this place - Edit

Best vegan pad thai in the city. Servers are very helpful and knowledgeable. They have a wednesday 4 course vegetarian special for $14 which is great and can usually made it vegan!

Pros: great food, great service

a classic - Edit

I have been eating a Spicey Thai for many years. It has changed ownership, the old owner was my kung fu teacher. Im happy to say the place has kept its charm and great food. I went to cooking school in Thailand. The food at Spicey Thai is just as wonderful as it is in Thailand. I always get the vegan option and have never been dissappointed. I always get a reservation for weekends or you maybe sitting in "the lounge" for a long time. Actually my only complaint is that I have waited in the lounge even with reservations, for a very long time.

Pros: everything, everything, and everything

Cons: parking, sketchy neighborhood, almost too busy

Decent thai with no mystery - Edit

They advertise that they do not use msg and are very veg friendly. I have ordered the vegan pad thai and vegan panaeng curry. Both were good, but not amazing. I definitely appreciate their willingness to veganize meals and their openness. Its the only thai place in town that I currently have any faith in. Both orders were for take out, I am not entirely sure how well I would rate eating in the restaurant. I rated 4 but its more like 3.7. Ha.

Pros: Openness about ingredients , Accommodating

Cons: Food won't blow your mind.

Sweet and Spicy, kinda Dicey - Edit

I went to Spicy Thai on a date with a non veg, a carnivore through and through. The building looks really interesting from the outside and it's hard to miss. Bright yellow paint on the outside with SPICY THAI painted in bold red.

It's really nice inside. Some "traditional" areas to eat where you're sitting kind of on the ground. I didn't see much of this, we got a table, though I would have liked to eat there.

Menus not bad, very diverse. Most things can be made vegan and you can tell them how spicey you like it. That's a bonus. WARNING: Mild is no spice, medium is REALLY hot.

The staff was super friendly and well informed, so props to Spicy Thai on that one.

The food was alright. I had Pad Thai, vegan of course. It was overly sweet and I couldn't eat much. There were these weird vegetables things in it. They looked really freaky and that turned me off. I hate admitting that because I'm usually over the top open minded about food.

My date had some seafood meadley thing. Mussels, oeysters, shrimp and so on. He liked it alot.

The prices weren't bad. We paid 30$ for both of us.

I don't think I'll be going back because I got really bad diahrea the next day but for other people it's a nice place.

Pros: Decor, Funky traditional areas, Great staff

Cons: mysterious vegetables, hard to find entrance, diahrea

Return to St Catharines Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Spicy Thai Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.