The Olive Branch Cafe

207-333-3668

791 Lisbon St, Lewiston, Maine, USA, 04240

Offers a cooler of grab & go prepared meals. Dining service begins at 11am and serves a variety of sandwiches, salads, soups. Sunday brunch. Formerly the The Ark Vegan Cafe. Open Mon-Thu 9:00am-3:00pm, Fri 9:00am-2:00pm, Sun 9:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Western, Salad bar, Take-out

First Review by Mainely Vegan

not worth 2 stars - Edit

This place is gross. I'm vegan, I love vegan food, I love vegan restaurants, but this place is gross. Maybe if you're really into fake meats you'd like it. But as a health minded vegan I really didn't like it. Neither did my plant based boyfriend or meat eating mother. I would highly advise you not to go here. I'd give it half a star if I could. I left with a stomach ache. The place was also completely empty when we went. So either it was a coincidence or a sign it's not a good restaurant...

Pros: all vegan , service is good

Cons: lots of fake meat, unhealthy, doesn't taste good

Makes me happy - Edit

It makes me so happy that there is an all vegan restaurant in a small city like Auburn. Its hard enough to find a restaurant with vegan options around so it really made me happy to find this gem. A few years ago they used to have vegan pizza and the entrees would come with popcorn & a side but now it is just the dish itself. Food is very simple and delicious and I would say a decent price for this kind of establishment. Theres a few vegan local products to shop from, soups and desserts as well. There are a lot of religious things around the store but in no way are they pushed on you by the employees. Which by the way are super friendly! Lots of seating as well so bring your non veggie friends!!

Excellent- worth the drive where ever you are coming from.... - Edit

My father and I stopped here recently during a motorcycling trip. We had been meaning to stop in for a long time, and boy, we should have stopped in sooner! The volunteers that run this restaurant are kind, caring folks. (I beleive it is connected with 7th Day Adventist Church? But nothing religious is pushed on their patrons-there are little brochures at the tables, thats it.). The food is delicious. In Maine it can be really hard to eat healthy....The Olive Branch is such a wonderful restaurant for people that love animals, for people that are trying to eat healthy for themselves, or for anyone who just loves good home made food. The inside is warm and inviting....you will feel at home when you walk in. We even hung out for a bit in the little lounge area after our meal. If I lived in Maine, I would also take advantage of their many classes offered in the evenings...they are giving back to the community in a big way. What an amazing place.

*My parents sent me some vegan jerky that they picked up here! It was pretty darn tasty! They sell quite a few food items up by the registers and also in the freezer/fridge in the back near the drinks!

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-08

Pros: Huge menu- all vegan, Friendly volunteers who operate the restaurant, Comfortable, casual atmosphere

Great to find in a vegan dead zone! - Edit

We were visiting Bath, Maine for a wedding and were a little starved for good old vegan food. What a delight to find! It's a little quirky--a lot of Jesus paraphernalia, but the customer service was so good and the food tasted great. The Baja Burger was our fave. Please support this place to keep a vegan spot in the area!

Pros: Customer service, Variety

Cons: A lot of religious items around

Delightful Find - Edit

What a treat to find this restaurant! One reviewer stated the restaurant was located in an abandoned strip mall. However, the restaurant is now located in a stand-alone building, that looks like a renovated Pizza Hut building. The restaurant is very clean eating area and has a nice seating area. The staff are all volunteers and are they were very friendly. Evelyn was the bomb.com. The cream of fiddle soup was delicious! Some things are organic which is a huge plus. There are not many items on the menu with fresh vegetables, that don't include soy products. However, their spinach wrap was delectable.

Pros: large selection. non gmo. organic. in-house homema, friendly staff

Cons: A larger selection of fresh veggies and fruit

THE BEST VEGAN FOOD IN MAINE/NEW ENGLAND - Edit

Omg this is theeeee best vegan food I've had in New England. (I live in ct)

The flavors are Sooo clever and brilliant. They really know how to flavor everything to detail. I can't compliment their flavoring enough. It's such a relief to finally find in Maine. Portland was a waste of time and $, we got soup Mac cheese and 4 desserts at sprouts Portland and it cost nearly 55$. Here at the ark we got soooo many entrees , burgers soups blt desserts drinks frozen goods to reheat and the price didn't even come near $50!!! I don't mind paying the $ but Portland was a waste because their flavors are awful. The ark surpasses even the Connecticut vegan eateries I've been to, they really have their flavors down trust me. This is a must stop if you're in or near Maine. Addicting.

They have frozen meals to go to reheat also !!!

Pros: Flavors!!! Brilliant , Friendliest staff ever!!! very sweet, Amazing unbeatable prices

Cons: Not open long enough :-(, Mad at myself I didn't come here sooner

Best food in Lewiston - Edit

I have been quite a few times and try to get something different every time. First I had the alfredo which was amazing, but is no longer offered on the menu. Then I had a spinach wrap but was nothing I couldn't whip up at home super fast. Then I had the black bean soup, it was great! I also had the cream of broccoli soup and it was the best thing ever. The veggie burgers are better than any I've had and homemade bread is the icing on top. The irish nachos are great, the haystacks amazing and the cheese quesadilla keeps me coming back I just wish there were a little more veggies in it. The pumpkin cheesecake is so good you have to try that and the desserts in the cooler. They have the best food ever and the best part is that it's all pretty healthy and relatively cheap! The staff is friendly and the place is always clean and quiet.

Pros: Oil free options, Great prices, Tasty healthy food

Cons: hours of operation , no rice/pasta dishes

Yummy food. Great cause. - Edit

Was awesome. Loved the food and the people. Had the penne alfredo and loved it. My boyfriend is a meat eater and had the Portobello steak. He really liked it. Go check it out. I'll definitely be back when I head back that way.

Pros: Yummy food, Decent pricing, Awesome people

Cons: Wish they were open in the evening again., They aren't in my home town

Simply Fabulous - Edit

I was traveling through Maine on vacation and looking for a wholesome meal. As a vegan that can be quite challenging. I used happy cow ( my saving grace esp when traveling) and came across The Ark Vegan Cafe. simply put the staff is kind and very knowledgeable, all the food is made on the premises including the deserts.I highly recommend saving room for their vegan cheesecake.. Delish. Only downside is they are only open 11-3 daily.However the staff informed me that they do have a Sunday brunch.Definitely worth checking out...

Pros: Affordable, Quick Service

Great vegan food - Edit

Had lunch here today. Very friendly staff. The lentil soup was fantastic. The eggplant whole wheat crepe equally as delicious. The tomato sauce on it had just the right amount of spice. Look forward to return trips to try other menu items. Besides the tables they have some comfortable seats around a gas fire place.

Pros: great food , great, friendly service, nice comfortable atmosphere

Return to Lewiston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Olive Branch Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.