CLOSED: The Hutch

• Vegetarian

13 Palace Street (at St Alphege Lane), Canterbury, England, CT1 2DZ

Housed in a 16th Century building in this historic cathedral town of Canterbury, the exposed beams and bare tudor bricks are in keeping with a bygone age. The foods are made from locally sourced fresh produce straight from the Garden of England to the table. Extensive drinks and food menu. Offers a wide range of gluten free dishes. JAN 2013 SHUT DOWN PER OWNER.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Western, Beer/Wine, English

First Review by gra26264

Delicious food - Edit

Tasteful decor, linen-feel napkins, light-coloured wood tables, dark wooden ceiling beams. Fresh flower on each table.
Parsnip-apple soup and hot roll: nice sweet-ish soup. Meal deal during Festival was GBP10 for two courses: I had the tapas plate and garden pie and a Fentiman's Rose Lemonade. Tapas were: aubergine caviar and a few slices of pickled aubergine (yum), butterbean puree (excellent), mango-tomato salsa, homemade foccacia, marinated tri-colour peppers, black olives. Garden pie came with a roll and salad of mixed greens with a nice dressing. Pie was steaming hot, with mashed potato topping (spinach making it green), tomatoes, carrots, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, zucchini. Tasty.
Special lunch one day: small pastry pie of mushrooms with red-wine gravy, served with roasted potatoes and carrots/cauliflower/broccoli, 7.95. Another visit I had the burger: nice patty of lentils, vegetables, sunflower seeds, good size (not too big) - the vegan option meant nothing was on the bun, so I put the lettuce leaves on top and the provided condiment (caraway seeds and shredded carrot) on it. Served with a bunch of tomato wedges, small salad, four "chunky chips." I had the pineapple-sorbet dessert: thinly sliced pineapple, raspberry halves and good, creamy raspberry sorbet.
Christmas menu sounded great.

Pros: tasty food, good selection, vegan options

Cons: closed Mondays

Excellent - Edit

I had dinner there in August 2011. It's a great place with a nice atmopshere, friendly staff and excellent food (I had a Tajine) for a fair price.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value

An absolute gem! - Edit

My mum took me here on a Friday evening, as we were celebrating my university results. There aren't many vegan friendly places in Folkstone to eat, so we went to this restuarant.

On first impression, it's a cute well restored 16th century building, with a clean and welcoming interior. The menu looked delicious and has plenty of vegan options. The food arrived fairly quickly, but not too quick. It was absolutely delicious, I would definitely recommend the tapas, especially the aubergine "caviar".

The restaurant had a very relaxed atmosphere, and along with a very friendly waitress we really enjoyed our meal.

Would recommend to anybody visiting Canterbury, we will definitely be back.

Pros: Excellent Food, Attentive and friendly service, Seasonal and fresh menu

Cons: Can't think of any

Highly Recommended - Edit

What a wonderful restaurant. The staff were friendly, cheerful and obliging. We had booked a table and they greeted us by name on arrival. The restaurant is clean, bright and welcoming. It was a busy Saturday lunchtime and there was a lovely, buzzy atmosphere. Vegan options are shown on the menu and the drinks menu was varied, with wine, beer and cider. We shared the generous mixed tapas platter for two as a starter - light homemade bread served with plump and succulent red and black olives and various dips/salads - fresh, tasty, delicious. My husband had the detox wrap but was very envious of my vegetable crumble - the cuman and paprika topping was wonderful - the balance of spices was spot on. We shared the hot apple crumble (they had run out of vegan vanilla ice-cream but were able to offer vegan cream instead) and a yummy chocolate mousse topped with nuts and blueberries. Every bite was heavenly and thoroughly enjoyed. All washed down with a decent bottle of wine. Portion sizes were medium - not too small or large. Service was good, considering the restarant was full. We did have to wait a little while for the food, but we were in no hurry and I prefer to wait for food this good. The prices were reasonable and on the way to the restaurant we were given a 10% off voucher by a brave chap dressed as a carrot(!). Loved it and can't recommend enough.

Pros: Vegan options, Excellent food, Lovely staff

the hutch,rabbit food of the highest quality,lol - Edit

recently refurbished,good atmosphere,vegetarian restaurant that is mostly vegan,excellent food,very friendly service,a must for any vegetarian or vegan visitors to canterbury

Pros: excellent food, mostly vegan, friendly owner and staff

Return to Canterbury Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: The Hutch closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 482 times since Aug 2010.