The Good Apple Cafe

Contact 9191-5641763

18 Derwent Street, Sunderland, England, Sr1 3NU

Small cafe making 100% vegetarian and with a large percentage of vegan choices from toasted bagels, breakfasts, soups and salads to steaming bowls of noodle and daily specials. Nearly all traybakes and cakes are vegan friendly. Specialty teas and coffees. Laid back decor, mix and match furniture, free Wi-Fi, open plan kitchen. Opened Jun 2013. Mon 10:30am-3:00pm, Tue-Fri 10:30am-6:00pm, Sat 10:30am-5:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Take-out, Bakery, British, English

First Review by ChrisRandle

Good Veggie Cafe - Edit

I really like this cafe. The food is very good with a good range of vegan options including cakes. They serve snack style meals, I always go for the vegan breakfast because it's so good, I love the addition of avocado to replace the eggs and like the fact you can choose from 2 sizes pending on how hungry you are. I also always go for a soya matcha latte because this too is so good. The interior is bright and fresh. The cafe isn't very big and gets very busy on a Saturday but it's worth the wait when full. Make sure you collect a loyalty card to claim the occasional complimentary hot drink if you plan on visiting regularly.

Pros: nice informal cafe, good vegan options , tasty and reasonably priced food

Outstanding - Edit

I was in Sunderland with my wife to visit the National Glass Centre (which is definitely worth a trip). Afterwards we wandered into town to check this place out because of the HappyCow reviews. It didn't disappoint. It's quite small with around ten tables, but didn't feel cramped even though it was still busy at 3 o'clock on a Friday.

The menu was very good for vegans, with plenty of brunch and lunch options such as bagels with avocado and scrambled tofu. Specials included a Japanese curry and spring rolls.

We only had tea and cakes - a carrot cupcake and sicilian lemon cake - both of which were light and tasty. All their cakes are vegan and we took out a peanut butter blondie and a courgette and lime cupcake, which were still lovely and fresh the day after.

This place is special. Sunderland is lucky to have it and one I'll make a detour for next time I'm in the north east.

Pros: All cakes are vegan, specials looked tempting, sta

Cons: Small - but if there's no room, just get it to tak

Let's Make Cider - Edit

Nice little cafe in the processed meat & saveloy dip capital of the North East of Angleterre . Very welcoming and pleasant inside serving a good range of coffees and teas as well as cold drinks. My choice is the Matcha Latte with soya milk. Would you like some food? Take your pick from sandwiches, panninis, wraps, bagels and toasties with numerous fillings both vegan and vegetarian. Every day there will also be an imaginative special, such as a seitan steak sandwich or a tempeh burger. They also serve a mean veg or vegan breakfast for a British fiver. That's 5 quid my friends. The vegan breakfast comes with sensational avocado on toast. Beat that! This is my pre-match venue of choice where I can get a cracker of a feed before hitting the Stadium of Light to watch another relegation battle. Prices are good, pay around £3 for a satisfying snack well presented with some crisps and a decent salad. Coffees are in the £2 range depending on type. I really like it here and have been back quite a number of times. You guessed it, on a match day. Oh, did I mention they sell vegan cakes too of a very high standard, including rocky road with vegan marshmallows and raw cheesecakes. Good to see Sunderland fans coming here on match days. It may be the only enjoyment they'll get on a Saturday!

Pros: friendly, free wifi, excellent breakfasts

good Apple is the bomb - Edit

Best and only vegan friendly cafe in Sunderland city center. Staff are lovely and food is made fresh and the specials board is amazing. Every vegan must visit this warm and friendly little cafe x Leanne

Golden Delicious! - Edit

Great to see a cafe like this now in Sunderland and with great food too. They offer a good selection of both vegan and vegi options such as an all day breakfast (large or small), paninis and sandwiches and a massive selection of teas and cakes. I got the hungry vegan breakfast that included Avacado on toast and a side of scrambled tofu and both were delicious. I have to say this is probably the best breakfast I have ever had, I might just stick to the smaller option next time though as I was stuffed afterwards! Although I haven't tried it yet, I overheard some customers commenting on how good the falafel is here, definitely one for next time. There was also some great tunes playing such as the Smiths and Modest Mouse. Can't wait to go back.

Pros: Great Food, Nice Vibe

Satisfied customer! - Edit

Great food in a nice little cafe. I had a lovely vegan sandwich and my omni partner had the "hungry veggie" breakfast. We both enjoyed the food and found the portions generous, although I still had time for a vegan chai flavoured cupcake and we took home some vegan rocky road and other treats!
I wish we had somewhere like this closer to home as it involved a bit of a trek - it was definitely worth it though and I will be back to try the scrambled tofu; there were plenty of vegan options available!

Love this place! - Edit

The Good Apple cafe is my life saver. Everything is delicious, the range of food and sweets is really good for such a small place and prices are fair.
Shame it's not completely vegan, but perhaps one day...??

Pros: amazing vegan sweets, lovely standard menu & daily specials, matcha latte!!

Cons: serves cow's milk & cheese

Genuinely lovely! - Edit

Sunderland has lacked a vegan/vegetarian specialist place for some time. There is a cafe a street up that serves veggie food as well as meat etc, however I always get a bit weary when eating in a place that also serves meat. You can never be completely sure they're cooking the food on a seperate grill.

The Good Apple cafe has a wide selection of food, and the best part is the majority is vegan. I'm not vegan myself but will eat vegan whenever possible. The cakes and treats are amazing, and definitely prove that vegan food can be even more tasty than none-vegan!

So far, we've only tried the brekkie for cooked food, which was lovely, but I definitely want to try more.

The owners are really nice people, nice and chatty; they're also interacting with our daughter which I think is a nice touch. The only negative I can think of is that they don't have high chairs for babies. However it is a small cafe so I realise space may be an issue. Just be prepared to keep your little one in the pram.

Overall, I think I'm going to be a very poor man while this cafe is around. But it'll be well worth it!

Pros: Friendly staff, Good value, Amazing food

Cons: No baby seat

Return to Sunderland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Good Apple Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2063 times since Jun 2013.