The Flying Duck

Contact 01415641450

142 Renfield St, Glasgow, Scotland, G2 3AU

Must be 18+ years old to enter. Late night lo-fi bar, diner & event space with regular gigs, events, board games and generally all round good vibes. Open Mon-Fri 12:00am-1:00am, Mon-Sat 12:00pm-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-3:00am, Sun 4:00pm-12:00am.

Category: Vegan, Western, Fast food, Beer/Wine, British

First Review by janetp

Favourite lunch place during Glasgow stay - Edit

We found this little gem on Happy Cow & sought it out. Hidden entrance down the stairs the suddenly a spacious cafe, bar, performance space. As previously mentioned delicious mac 'n' cheese and pecan brownie. Great atmosphere & check out hilarious graffiti in the ladies!!

Pros: Quirky surroundings, great comfort food.

Cons: Quite difficult to locate

Place to go - Edit

I spent 3 days in Glasgow and ate ther every single day! If you love junk food as much as I do it is the place to go. It's not far from train and bus station, close to shopping area, a must.

Pros: taste the mac and cheese

delightfully dirty lunch - Edit

A great find! I prefer to eat organic, local and largely raw food but everyone has a weakness for something a little or a lot outside of these parameters . This is the place to go to get your fix and the chef actually cares!!!!! I had the bbq jackfruit tacos which was absolutely delicious and sprinkled with grated "cheese" that would fool anyone. My carnivorous food loving brother had the satay ramen which in his words was " outstanding!" . They let me have a cheeky taste of their Mac and cheese which seems to be the highlight in all the reviews and yes, i can see how it has earned its praise. If you're trying to encourage a vegan sceptic you will certainly be able to win them over by "selling" them the very good selection of beers ales, ipa's and lagers.

It's so great that it is so hidden away , it feels like it's a little secret spot. I can't say what it's like at night ... It closes at 3am so it may be another secret place not for those seeking vegan food but for those who want to enjoy themselves at a great venue.

I will be visiting this place again soon!

Good lunch & drinks spot - Edit

Great place to stop for lunch. The food was delicious and wholesome. Fantastic drink selection as well. Very reasonably priced and even offer a 20% student discount. Highly recommend.

Pros: All Vegan, Nice Drink Selection, Seasonal Specials & Events

Fantastic - Edit

I'm not going to tire anyones eyes or brains by posting a lengthy, novel-esque review so here it is:
Food and drink were fantastic! I had the macarrito, or a macaroni & cheese burrito, while the other members of my group had seasonal specials or a chili cheese dog. All were delicious and worth what seemed like a long wait (we had a group of five with lots of food ordered so this may vary for each experience)
Go here, just do it.

😍 - Edit

Was my first meal in Glasgow and I don't want to eat any where else! Easy burgers and generous salads and fries on the side. Staff were all super friendly and made me feel welcome, ended up staying the afternoon drinking coffee and tapping away on me laptop. Real good music too, bit of tom waits to set the scene!

Pros: burgers, service, music

Love it - Edit

It has the best burger I ever had in my entire life, zero to hero is the one to go for. I am coming back to have it again and back again for the dawgs :)Depending on when you go, some staff are super very friendly, others just normal.

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-27

Pros: Amazing menu, very interesting vibe

Cons: they should open one in bristol :)

Great vegan junk food + milkshakes - Edit

Flying Duck is one of my favourite places and holds some great memories for me. They have a Big Vegan Fete once a month - usually on the second Saturday (but this Dec it's the third Sat, the 17th) - which I think has helped a lot in making veganism grow in Glasgow and promoting local vegan businesses run by vegans.

Weirdly, I've had a bit of unfortunate luck lately with happening to be in there twice in a row in the space of a month with minor catastrophes occurring - staff shortages and sicknesses, apparently a chef having an accident, food running out, some wideoes refusing to leave my pre-booked table for a vegan meetup... but usually there's no problem: great service and tasty food.

Generally I don't have a huge issue with food being in red baskets lined with paper, but they are not good with moist foods, when you cut into the dish and it starts to mesh with the paper.

On preference I'm not that keen on the texture of their seitan burgers, but I love their cheesesteak and their tofu subs. Their chips are a bit of a necessary add on rather than them being a dish I'd order on their own - I prefer wedges or handcut chips to skinny fries. Their macarritto - mac and cheese in a wrap - is inspired.

Their milkshakes are really, really good and I think have set a bit of a standard in being something vegans rate quite highly in terms of attractive vegan items offered by vegan and non-vegan establishments.

It's dog friendly, but due to their licence it's strictly no under 18s.

I love with it being off the main road you can often get a table easily on a weekend afternoon; unlike other vegan places in town it's a bit less of a place people will sit for hours with a laptop, or go for post-work wine, and more couple and groups.

Pros: Dog friendly, Good service, Great vegan junk food

Cons: Moist food on paper

Great pub grub. - Edit

on my first visit i left unhappy as it was closed when it shouldn't have been. oh but i went to the front door, fool?

you have to look for the back door to get in. visited last week and was one of only two people in at lunchtime. still a mellow vibe was enjoyed with good music and a great lunch. the menu is limited and really pub snack food. the vegan nachos were good but the wedges were a bit oily.

there is a good selection of drinks and if you go knowing its pub food you wont be disappointed.

a visit in the evening gave a whole new feel to the flying duck for me, mainly because it was busy. had a good vibe the food is vegan pub food, but the burger felt home made and was pretty tasty. there was some live music on, and an evening visit is really worth it.

Had the Kahuna burger tonight with everything on it, huge! If you can eat one of these without a bib you a genius.

Updated from previous review on 2014-11-24

Pros: staff, music, All vegan

Cons: Expensive beer

Good vegan bar food - Edit

One of the first stops on my trip in Glasgow. Had a lot of yummy vegan junk food and a good beer selection. Gave me a very "Berlin" vibe. Definitely not healthy, but if you are craving that yummy, greasy stuff, this is a place to go.

Pros: Good food, Nice staff

Cons: Loud

Fantastic vegan junk food - with a great atmosphere. - Edit

I ordered the "Big Dawg", a side of macaroni cheeze and a vanilla shake.

It arrived surprisingly fast, and the portions were pretty big, and very tasty! It's the place to go if you're after some good ol' vegan junk food - not so much if you'd want a healthy option though!

Pros: Full vegan menu, Very quick service

best junk food - Edit

Wonderful selection of vegan junk food and definitely something for everybody. Visited several times with my partner who is neither vegan nor vegetarian and he thoroughly enjoyed it. Only downside for me is that on occasion what I have wanted to order has been out of stock i.e. Chips, mash, chile only to name a few, however we where always compensated with nachos

Pub club grub - Edit

Tasty food, good if you miss junk food like hot dogs, burgers and cheese.

All is 100% non animal ingredients, including drinks.

Informal underground (literally) atmosphere, good choice of drinks, nice staff, central location.

It's a bit too dark for my liking and some dishes are served on a silly plastic baskets with a paper lining, I always end up making a mess and eating half of the paper, but that doesn't put me off coming back.

Pros: Good junk food , 100% vegan , Central location

Cons: Too dark for my liking , Plastic baskets instead of plates

Amazing! - Edit

My boyfriend and I come here quote regularly for our vegan junk food fix as it's just SO good. The burgers and dawgs are so delicious and the staff are very sweet. I haven't brought my dog in yet, but love any place that welcomes pets too.

Pros: Food is ridiculously good, Good discount deals, They are pet friendly and also have lots of board

Cons: The service can sometimes be a bit slow, If there's a gig on, it can get a bit loud

Yummy Pub Grub! - Edit

Easily found this pub has yummy vegan pub food!! The staff are friendly, the food is good, the atmosphere is pleasant and the prices are good! I will definitely return!!

Pros: Yummy Food and Varied Menu, Pleasant Staff and Fun Atmosphere, Well Pricec

Return to Glasgow Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Flying Duck closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.