The Baked Potato Shop

0131-2257572

56 Cockburn Street, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH1 1PB

A couple of minutes walk south uphill into the Old Town from main train station (Waverley Station). Location - top end of Cockburn Street - near Royal Mile. Very vegan friendly and allergy diet friendly (peanut, wheat, flour, etc). Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-7:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Take-out, British

First Review by Stevie

It's scary to know that people like those potatoes - Edit

Awful. Scotland is one of the worst european countries to have meals, but this place take this principle of bad food very seriously. I can't understand the palate of people saying compliments here. It was the worst potato I ever ate, and I'm talking only about the potato. If I'd say something else about the dressing... pff, I'd write a speech. A very bad one. Staff is grumpy. The place is dirty. Frightening.

Cons: Taste of the food, Grumpy staff, Dirty

one of my favourite places in Edinburgh - Edit

Great selection of veggie and vegan options at a reasonable price.

best tatties ever - Edit

A lot of different vegan fillings for the baked potatoes, cold and hot. Very tasty

Also samosas, had a vegan haggis samosa and I was quiet surprised how good it tasted

A must try when you're in Edinburgh!

great tatties - Edit

after a visit today i thought i'd update my review.

one of the oldest veg places in edinburgh starting in 1983 a year after kalpna and many years after hendersons. i started visiting at this time when cockburn street was a homage to alternative shops especially fashion shops based on music, punk, ska and mods.
at this time i wasn't even veggie but it seemed a cheap place to eat offering filling food and good value.
so many years later and i have a real soft spot for the baked tattie shop, in summer the queue is out the door and then some, there is one solitary table which i think in all my time i have managed to get a seaat at twice, be prepared to walk!
i had a small potato today with a spicy rice and vegan slaw, it was filling and feel a small is enough for lunch. they had about five hot fillings all of which were vegan, they also had vegan spread.
the food was as always was filling and tasty. anyone who knows me will know i always talk about heathy food not just vegan. the food is heathy here, so many choices with tofu, pulses and salad you get filled with no guilt, just veg.
if you come to edinburgh my lunch was just over a fiver and is well worth the wait. it's not fancy, but its wholesome and filling. just great healthy food

Pros: great value, huge tatties!!!!, healthy options

Cons: lack of seating.

Massive tatties! - Edit

This place looked good and a local told me definitely to try it while here, though warned me their tatties were massive. I made the mistake of getting a medium one and it was almost as big as my head but wow it was tasty. Loads of vegan options, they offered butter/salt/pepper and checked if vegan butter wanted, no problems at all ordering. There's only the one table so don't count on eating in. Still, three of us squeezed around it and managed to eat ok, and it was nice to get more cafe tips from another new local, so good for mingling! No toilet though so definitely not an eat-in place. I would definitely go back; had the vegan 'haggis' which was delicious, but all the rest looked really tempting too. And if only I'd had room for the vegan cakes!

Pros: Amazingly tasty food, Vegan options really clear & include cakes, Good value & big portions

Cons: Small, only one table, No toilet

Massive portions but watch out for the spice - Edit

My partner and I both ordered medium baked potatoes, which turned out to be MASSIVE! I highly recommend ordering the small unless you're a really big eater or you want leftovers - our mediums were two meals each worth for us!

I ordered the Mexican filling, which came with beans, corn, cummin and cayenne pepper. It was super spicy, practically inedible for me, despite there been no mention of chilli in the menu description. Others had commented that the chillies themselves were quite flavorless, so I wasn't expecting it to be too spicy. Even with a soft drink, I could barely eat it, so I gave the rest away to a homeless person.

My partner got his with baked beans and vegan butter. He enjoyed it and I had the leftovers and also liked it. If I was going back, I'd get a small with the baked beans.

It would be nice if they had a vegan option for the cheese.

Only one table inside, so not the best place if you're looking for an eat-in meal - more of a take-away focus.

Food was very good value, especially with the massive portions. We got a meal deal where you get 2 medium baked potatoes with one filling each plus a soft drink each. I think that was 11 pounds but either way, prices were very reasonable.

Pros: Good value

Cons: No vegan cheese, Unexpectedly spicy

Delicious baked tatties - Edit

Long long ago, when the earth was flat, I had my first giant baked tattie from here and I am pleased to say that as soon as I step off the train at Waverley station now, I still run up Cockburn Street to scoff a tattie from this delightful eatery. Lots of vegan fillings available, including haggis, with vegan cakes also tempting you when you place your order. If the weather permits, I recommend eating on a bench in the Royal Mile as the people watching is fascinating. As a morbid teen I would carry my tattie all the way to Canongate Kirk graveyard and munch next to the founder of capitalism, Adam Smith's, grave.

huge portions! - Edit

I ordered the small potato with chili. It was huge! The chili was spicy but overall it was an excellent meal. I'm glad that I stumbled across this spot. It's very small inside (one table in the corner). However, the food is so tasty that there were people huddling together outside sharing potatoes.

Pros: many options for veg*ns, vegan dessert

Cons: small interior

Average - Edit

After reading so many raving reviews, I visited here with my boyfriend for lunch one day. Although the potatoes are huge and VERY hot (a small is easily a regular to most people), I found the chilli to be just... average. It had very little taste and I was just kind of disappointed. I expect chilli to at the very least taste like tomato.

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-20

Pros: Good value, Lots of vegan options

Cons: Very hot, Lacking taste

Edinburgh Staple!!! - Edit

Though it's been over 10 years since I have been to The Baked Potato Shop it remains one of my fondest memories of Edinburgh and the months I spent there living in a hostel off the High Street. Amazing vegan haggis, all kinds of yummie toppings for both vegans and vegetarians and HUGE potatoes. I'm looking forward to a repeat visit next summer when I once again will be staying in a hostel off the High Street.

Pros: Vegetarian haggis , huge potatoes

Cons: lack of space

AMAZING - Edit

I genuinely couldn't love this place more! Massive potatoes, so many vegan options and good prices. Also haggis samosa!

Pros: big portions , curried corn

Cons: no sit in area

that's some potato! - Edit

Great range of toppings! Excellent for an easy meal.

The Potato is always there for you - Edit

All that can be said about The Baked Potato Shop has been said already. The lack of space is a real bummer.
Yet, it is an institution in Edinburgh and never disappoints you. Had a tatty there again today, as many times before.
My favorite toppings are vegan haggis, quinoa-beetroot-salad and chickpea salad.

good - Edit

Potatoes were really yummy. Didn't have much luck with the fillings.
Several vegan options.
They made my potato with bare hands (no problem) but them they took my money with the same bared hand and them they got back to do more potatoes.

easy and filling - Edit

Nothing to write home about, but if you're on the Royal Mile and you need a quick snack, this is a great place to go.
The potatos are cooked to perfection and there are heaps of vegan fillings to choose from.

spudtacular - Edit

great place i always stop by when im in the area . good hearty filling grub. with a ton of choices for fillings .

Pros: plenty of vegan options

Cons: onlyva small place so not much seating

Yummyyyy - Edit

Awesome! It was so delicious! So many vegan options!

Pros: many options, Cold and hot, Desserts!

Cons: no toilette, just one small seating space

An Edinburgh Institution - Edit

I think that I have probably been eating here for about 30 years. Great sized portions and a huge variety of fillings. The shop is very close to Waverley train station, so i normally pop in her before i get on any long train journeys.

Pros: Variety, cost, staff

Return to Edinburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Baked Potato Shop closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.