Sunspot

Contact 865-637-4663

2200 Cumberland Ave, Knoxville, Tennessee, USA, 37902

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small restaurant with a few vegetarian options. Note that bread is not vegan. Relocated from 1909 Cumberland Ave in 2015.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by tomaswk

Great tofu - Edit

This place didn't have tons of vegan items, but I loved that they had smoked tofu to replace meats and cheeses. The tofu was really spot on good and I'd go back for sure.

Pros: great tofu

Cons: needs more vegan options

nice umbrellas - Edit

the place looks cool as can be and the umbrella bar is a beautiful atmosphere. the food is not terrible but also not my favorite. Fried eggplant was drowning in oil and other experiences have been just okay. Hate to leave a mediocre review and hopefully they will improve. Great place to get a beer, for sure!

Convenient, Quality Vegan Food - Edit

I have lunch here at least once a week. Their blackened tofu is amazing! They offer it on a salad with mandarin oranges and chick peas, which I thought was pretty creative. I didn't know they served brunch on Sundays until I happened to go last week and to my delight, they had a vegan 'breakfast burrito' option. If you're a vegan, you know breakfast is the most challenging meal to find at a restaurant. Basically, I think you'll like this place.
Updated from previous review on Thursday September 22, 2011

Pros: Good food, Vegan options, Drink variety

Cons: somewhat pricey (but fair)

One of my favorite places - Edit

I really love Sunspot. There veggie burger is really good (and huge, I can't eat the whole thing). They also usually have a great specials menu. I wish they had more vegan options but I have never been disappointed when eating there. I recommend Sunspot to anyone looking for a really good local vegetarian/vegan friendly restaurant in Knoxville.

Pros: great food, fast service, freindly staff

Cons: limited vegan choices

limited vegan options - Edit

Very nice little place, friendly, can be noisy, creative menu but limited options for vegans.

Pros: creative, good quality, good beer list

Cons: limited vegan options, spicy dishes can be too spicy

2 Responses

Kevin Meyer 06 Aug 2012 - We recently took our vegan meetup group of about 20 folks there for dinner. They printed out vegan menus for us. Clearly they have added some vegan options. We had a very good meal.

Kevin Meyer 12 Sep 2014 - Our K-Town Vegans MeetUp Group has now endorsed this restaurant as vegan friendly. They now have a separate vegan brunch meanu, the only place in town that offers that.

Not as Good as it Used to Be - Edit

This used to be a great place for vegetarians and vegans could even find stuff to eat. But over the years the menu has changed to the point where they seem to be increasing the meat options available (like adding pig, which had not been on there at the beginning) and wildly decreasing veg options.

I was there in January 2009 for a brunch event and was really disgusted by the lack of options available. I forget what I had, probably fruit. Almost everything has dairy and/or meat in it. If you're looking for a good, veg-friendly restaurant, skip Sunspot.

Cons: vegan unfriendly, hard to park

Yummy!! - Edit

Lots of excellent vegan and veggie dishes available. The service has always been fantastic. My favorite is the three tier tofu...sooooo delicious!!

Pros: large portions, vegan options, friendly staff

A good place for Veggies right next to UT - Edit

They use local organic vegetables to make some of their food. I had the homemade veggie patty. Yummy! And it was a big portion, so I had to do a little running afterwards :)

The soups are made fresh each day from a mix of what is around, so it is always a unique taste. Mine was Peanut and Jalapeño and good.

They give you a basket of chips as well and spice it with some special spices that gives it that extra kick of flavor.

All around a good place to get some yummy veggie food.

Pros: Food, Staff, Decor

Return to Knoxville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sunspot closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.