• Yassin's Falafel House - Walnut St

Mediterranean
Take-out
Middle Eastern
Non-veg

Serves meat, vegan options available. Middle Eastern food with the usual veggie choices like falafel or grilled veggie in sandwich or on plate, hummus with pita, baba ganoush, fries, and baklava (ask if uses honey). Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-9:00pm.

Venue map for Yassin's Falafel House - Walnut St
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by KevinMeyer

FatAtlas

Points +82

14 Aug 2023

Great Vegan Shawarma!

No frills restaurant, sandwich shop-esque. The menu is up on the wall, vegan and vegetarian options are available.

I had the vegan shawarma sandwich and it didn’t disappoint. Warm faux meat with fries and tahini rolled in a pita. Decent size. I’d have it again.

Pros: Menu labeled well, Vegetarian and Vegan options

Cons: Nothing fancy here

LukeMcD

cosmiccupcake

Points +231

27 Dec 2022

Tasty Vegan options

Great quick stop, very filling food. Falafel is always a nice option, didn’t try the plant based protein version. Very convenient to center of town and was open on the 26th.

Pros: Good vegan options, Good price for the amount of food

Cons: Booth benches are pretty old

klstuart

Points +1087

22 Mar 2022

Good casual food

Very vegan friendly casual place. Staff understood changes to make dishes vegan (though many didn’t require changes. Food was yummy, flavored water available was a nice touch.

Pros: Lots of vegan choices, Staff knowledgeable

Cons: Fast food atmosphere, serve in Togo containers

Laura310

Points +60

15 Feb 2022

Delicious food

Though the menu is small, there are still vegan options available and the falafel sandwich is delicious. There are other options but I like that so much I always get it.

Pros: Staff are great, Friendly environment , Good location

Cons: Limited menu

Brealism

01 Dec 2021

OMG the Shawarma

The vegan proteins is amazingly delicious from the veggies to the falafel. I come here almost weekly for shawarma and the sweet tea makes a southern girl smile.

Pros: 3 Vegan Entree options, Super friendly atmosphere

JaredDavis

Points +20

18 Oct 2021

Delicious.

The only reason I ever went to Knoxville the 1st time was for Kopita which is also delicious. Tried Yassins today. It was equally as good. The girl at the register was vegan so I said what ever is your favorite. It didn’t disappoint. Took a picture of the receipt so you could do the same thing.

CandicePlein

Points +28

20 Apr 2021

Great food!!

This place was awesome!! Not all of the items on the menu were plantbased, however, they did have a few options that were. We tried their vegetarian and vegan options and everything was delicous! The service at this place was also amazing, everybody is very nice. Thanks for a delicous meal!😃

Pros: Vegan options

Carbivore

Points +59

20 Sep 2020

Some Really Tasty Choices

This place is not a fully vegan eatery but the do have a number of things for us vegans. Their falafel is super tasty and they have a nice bowl or wrap option. Hard to find an establishment with nicer employees. They are always helpful and smiling.

Pros: Flavors, Options

Cons: Serves Dairy, Serves Meat

AllyKelly

Points +32

19 Aug 2020

Great!

The staff was very helpful with determining what to order. The falafel is good. The baba ganoush is NOT vegan as a warning they use yogurt but the Baklava is😄

Updated from previous review on 2020-08-05

Pros: Knowledgeable staff, Good options, Vegan Baklava

Cons: baba ganoush is not vegan

VegOut64

Points +82

10 Jun 2020

Great Falafel!

Yassin’s is a super friendly place. Their falafel and veggies are great.

VeganMamaAL

Points +236

23 Jan 2020

Best falafel ever

This place only has one vegan option really, falafel. But I love falafel and that’s what I always get at Mediterranean restaurants anyway. This was the best falafel I’ve ever eaten. The restaurant itself was really cold, I don’t think they had central heat and it was very cold this night. Ambiance was pretty blah. But great falafel and I would eat here again.

Chasen5

Points +376

13 Aug 2019

The Best!

Truth be told... I’ve only had the falafel wrap here every time, but it is the BEST! Staff are friendly and the owner has an amazing story of how his restaurant came to be!

epn305

Points +655

04 Jul 2019

Unexpected in Knoxville

I had a delicious falafel salad, the tahini seasoning was perfect and the falafel pretty good. The restaurant serves meat but has enough vegan options to be rated here. It’s basic middle eastern food well done. Thanks Yassin.

Pros: Vegan options , Food is tasteful , Great prices

Cons: Serves meat

veganhubby

Points +990

05 Feb 2019

Nice meal in a pinch

If you are looking for a quick bite I would recommend it. Had the falafel sandwich with fries. Pickles in the sandwich was a nice touch and added some extra flavor and crunch.
Fries were just ok. Price for a falafel is amazing. Large sandwich but was served almost cold

Pros: Price , Taste

Cons: Came cold, French Fries average

stewardesstiffany

13 Jan 2019

My favorite restaurant in Knoxville!

I can’t say enough good things about this place. I hear complaints there aren’t many vegan options, but that falafel is enough. I travel overseas for work and still haven’t found better falafel. Highly recommend!

Pros: Falafel is incredible, Hummus is authentic

SJamesJones

Points +86

06 Nov 2018

Vegan options

Good prices for a quick lunch.

Updated from previous review on 2018-11-05

Pros: Vegan options, Falafel , Cucumber water

dekubabe

Points +586

26 Oct 2018

Good food

I enjoyed the food here but when they get busy, the wait is kinda long. Lots of seating. Happy employees 🙃✨

Pros: Vegan options , Great prices

Cons: Gets really busy

TofuTrey

Points +803

23 May 2018

Amazing falafel and hummus!

The vibe inside is a little strange, but the food is incredible. Staff was knowledgeable about what was vegan and they had a sticker welcoming vegans on the door. The falafel wrap and hummus with pita bread were great!

Pros: Several vegan options, Knowledgeable staff, Vegans are welcomed

Cons: Serve non-vegan food

Heidiyf

21 May 2018

very veg*n friendly

Their falafels are so tasty. Their tahini dressing and hummus are also spot-on. However, I learned their baba ganoush isn't vegan. I wouldn't have even thought to ask since I thought it was almost always vegan. The person in front of me happened to be vegan too and was asking about which choices are vegan. But they are great and will substitute more hummus for the baba ganoush.

im1_ur2

Points +122

24 Feb 2018

tasty, knowledgeable about vegan offerings

Very pleasing meals, I hope that the knowledge of the person at the counter was continued by the staff preparing the meal. When things taste very good at a "veg-options" establishment, I'm never quite confident that what is delivered is actually vegan. Since I'm just not sure, I'll drop my score a bit.

Pros: Reasonable price, adequate portion size, bold flavors

Cons: Was what we got really vegan?

AlexandraPhillips

Points +497

11 Oct 2017

Best falafel in town and vegan baklava!

I'm obsessed with falafel. I would eat it every day if I could! So, whenever I move or visit a new area, it's one of the first things I seek out. During a recent trip to ABQ I thought I found the best falafel of my life. Nope, Yassin's has now taken that crown. Omg it's good! I've tried both the spicy falafel sandwich and the spicy falafel platter. Both amazing! The sandwich is pure perfection with the right amount of toppings and sauce. The seasoned fries were delicious too! But the platter is my absolute favorite. They have some of the best dips I've ever had! The hummus is authentic and creamy with paprika and fresh olive oil. My husband hates baba ganoush and he really enjoyed Yassin's! I loved it too! The falafel was served on top of a delicious salad with the most amazing dressing. If I could make one improvement I would say the pita served with the platter could be heated so that it isn't as chewy/tough. It's the same bread used with the sandwiches but it's less tough because it's warm.

In addition to the food, I really like the vibe in the restaurant. The staff are very friendly and the music is AMAZING! During my dinner I got to hear The Cure, Radiohead, New Order, Depeche Mode, A-HA, Tears for Fears. :D

Pros: spicy vegan falafel, GREAT music, Fair prices

MyGreenTongue

Points +478

21 Aug 2017

delicious falafel

The Falafel salad is delicious. The falafels are lovely and moist and the salad is nice and fresh. Reasonably priced too.
Only down side is the use of plastic plates and cutlery even when dining in.

plant_munch

Points +54

17 Aug 2017

Yassin's Falafel House

They have Vegan selections and the food is good. However, you need to ask them not to add too much oil, otherwise the food is too oily.

Pros: great environment , food is tasty , great customer service

Cons: food is oily

Rosezeller3

Points +53

25 Mar 2017

Beat Falafels in Town!

I love their falafels! You can get them on a salad or in a wrap. They offer meaty options that my husband enjoys too. The hummus is so yummy. The sauces are vegan and delicious. They also have a veggie plate. Super friendly owner and staff!

Pros: Low prices, Friendly service , Delicious vegan options

Cons: parking downtown , no bathroom on site

KevinMeyer

Points +218

19 Nov 2015

Friendly Mediterranean Fare

Shortly after the Falafel House opened, Jassin hosted a vegan meetup and put on a beautiful vegan buffet. His regular menu isn't weighted heavily toward vegans or vegetarian, but you can always find some good choices. If he has some vegan baklava on hand, grab it, it is as good as any you will find anywhere.

Pros: Very friendly owner, High quality food, Central downtown location