Soul Vegetarian East and The Eternity Juice Bar

773-224-0104

205 E 75th St, Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60619

Serves comfort soul food that is vegan. Menu varies and might include lasagna, mac-n-cheese, and corn bread, desserts, and others. Brunch on Sunday. The Eternity Juice Bar is owned by the same people, and sells juices, elixirs, sandwiches, deli-style salads, and a few vegan groceries. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-8:00pm, Fri 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat 8:30am-10:00pm, Sun 8:30am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by amargrav

vegan soul food. - Edit

Amazing food, terrible service. If you are going to eat here, do not have any time constraints, plans or anywhere to go, service is beyond slow and food comes out randomly with consideration of course times. Save time by carring exact cash plus tip, so you can leave. It gets 5 stars anyway, because the food is that good.

Pros: all Vegan, Damn delicious

Cons: SLOW Service, religious affiliation

I love this place! - Edit

I have been going to Soul Vegetarian for years as a meat eater and a vegetarian. I think they have found a niche in blending the desire to have meat like foods that are vegan. I love the gyros sandwich, the bbq twists, carrot supreme salad and the kale salad. They have added the Eternity Juice bar in recent years where you can get juices, smoothies and deli ready foods. They only thing I suggest is if you are carrying out, call first because everything is cooked to order.

Pros: Good foods, cooked to order, Juice bar , Vegan ice cream

Cons: Some foods are cooked to order meaning wait time

the best restaurant in Chicago - Edit

My boyfriend and I got multiple things on the menu and everything was so fantastic. Even their coconut cake was moist and delicious!

My soul loves it - Edit

Their portions are huge, tasty and filling. When I've been I can never seem to get the items they sell in stores but that's ok there is more than enough to enjoy here. Really friendly staff and average service times make this an enjoyable place to eat at.

delicious! - Edit

The buffalo tofu wings were delicious, as was the Bbq twist sandwich! Textures and flavors are amazing here. Highly recommend.

Very flavorful food! - Edit

There's only so many salads, kale smoothies and vegan lasagna I can stand before I really start craving some home cooking.

Enter Vegetarian Soul East. Delicious vegan food for extremely reasonable prices. Their lunch special costs $11, and they give you very generous portions. I guess they have smoothies, juices and salads for all you masochists out there (eating a SALAD while watching everyone else enjoy vegan barbecue or macaroni and cheese?! You're out of your mind), but for me, this is a "must" for all vegans in and around Chicago.

I've gone a few times, and it's amazing every time. If you haven't been, you're really missing out!

Pros: Delicious Food, Nice Staff, Friendly Vibe

Best Vegan Soul Food - Edit

This is a great place for vegan comfort food. Don't go here looking for health food. This is vegan comfort food. They have a daily special, for an excellent price that includes the entree, two sides, and a choice of soup or salad. They have fried cauliflower, mushrooms, french fries, "steak" bits, and onion rings. Mac-n-Cheese, greens and cornbread, and the absolute best BBQ you will ever eat, the BBQ Twist. They make excellent desserts and they now have vegan soft serve.

Pros: 100% Vegan, Very reasonable prices, Good food

Cons: Not healthy food

Great Comfort Food In Chicago - Edit

This was our 2nd visit to Soul Vegetarian & it is always worth the trip from the burbs to this spot. The food is always delicious. The 1st time I wasn't even vegetarian & I still loved it!
The portions are surprisingly filling. We generally starve ourselves before we go out to eat because we like to gorge on as many dishes as possible. This time we ordered 2 appetizers (onion rings & Buffalo wings) & a main dish for each. I had a basket dish with fried seitan 'steak', tofu, and mushrooms, and served with fries. I guess it was because I ate so many fried things that I felt so full but the portions were plenty that I had to take home leftovers.
For the 4 dishes, we spent around $35. Worth it. Comfort food at its best!
The place has been around since the 80s & despite its relatively small location, it's a laidback & nice environment. We also stopped at the Eternity Juice Bar that's attached to the restaurant & got smoothies before leaving. The juices were also worth it and a nice, refreshment after all that heavy food.
The only thing is that you have to park in the street. Typical Chicago stuff. It's not a real complaint but it's the only thing I can think of that was close to being negative about the experience. We've gone during the day both times so parking was never an issue but I'm not sure how it is during the dinner hours.
They take cash or credit, too.

Pros: delicious comfort foods, welcoming environment, good value

Cons: no parking lot

Brilliant place, great atmosphere, delicious food - Edit

We went for Sunday lunch. When we got there we were told what the Sunday dinner option was and it sounded good so we had that (we weren't quite sure if there were other options!) The food was amazing. They did vegan chicken soup with corn bread, then a big roast including the best mac cheese we've had so far, garlicky kale, seitan, delicious sweet potato tzimmes, stuffing, other things... followed by a really good apple pie. The people working there are really lovely.

People told us it was hard to get to but it isn't - it's 10 mins walk or so from the red line (79th st stop).

Shame we went on our last day in Chicago, otherwise we'd definitely go back.

The Food Is Delicious! - Edit

I don't know what their special sauce is but the way they make tofu and seitan is to die for! Their "unreal chicken salad" is one of my favorite things on the menu! Try this place, you won't regret it.

Pros: Delicious

Cons: Location a bit far south

Simply Amazing - Edit

This is the best vegan restaurant on the planet period. The protein tidbits are amazing. Eat here, it's delicious. Even if you are a meat eater.

Pros: Excellent food

Cons: Scary neighborhood

Best of all soul food locations - Edit

I compare all Soul Veg locations around the US to this one. It has the best food of them all. The shakes are great, the bbq sandwiches are amazing, the people are always really nice...I could go on.

The food is amazing, the prices are low, and you'll be pleasantly full after you leave.

The service isn't what you'd expected at most restaurants, so allow a little more time. That extra time making the food super delicious is worth it to me.

Go here!

Pros: Cheap, Vegan, Amazing

Cons: Semi-slow service

Go hungry - Edit

This food is for real. You're not going to be eating super healthy, but it's awesome. The fried veggies were great and the collared green were really good too. Gyro was kind of meh, but I hit this place up every time I am at U of Chicago.

YUMMY! - Edit

We were looking for a Vegi establishment and we came across one of the more interesting vegetarian restaurants on the south side of Chicago. Conveniently located off the Dan Ryan Expressway on 75th Street, the food was great. We ordered Bbq Protein Tid Bits, Seasoned Fries and Buffalo Wings as appetizers - GREAT ... our sandwiches were the Black Eye Pea Burger (pleasantly surprised with the marble bread) and Sloppy Joe (great tomato sauce with pickles on the side) AND a side of Down Home Greens with Cornbread (excellent). Topped it all off with a superb Spirulina Smoothie. My dining partner and I had a difference of opinion on the portion sizes - I thought the healthy servings were fine..she prefers smaller gourmet portions - we have lots of leftovers to enjoy later. Service was good... went on a Friday afternoon and had no problem getting a nice table. On street parking may be difficult but don't let that stop you from visiting. In one word, our experience there was Excellenté!!!

Good Food, Large Portions, Long Wait - Edit

To start, my friends and I split the battered cauliflower. Pretty much most vegetables battered and fried are tasty and the cauliflower didn't disappoint in this aspect. It is definitely something to be split among 3-4 people, though, because it would be too much fried food for just two people. Other appetizers on the menu are more battered things like mushrooms, onion rings, fries, and tidbits (seitan).

We got a side of carrot supreme salad which was absolutely amazing. If you get anything at this restaurant, get this salad. For $4.50, it could have been a meal! It was gigantic and packed full of awesome veggies. We got the creamy garlic dressing with it and I'm thinking they use fresh garlic because it was super garlicky, but the creaminess balanced it out.

For sandwiches, we had the East Coast BBQ Roast Sandwich and the Hand Burger. The BBQ sandwich was as to be expected: messy. They use their signature seitan tidbits and coat them in their own bbq sauce. Overall, it's a good kind of messy sandwich. I'd get this again for sure. My friend had the Hand Burger and he said it's the best veggie burger he's ever had (and he's an omnivore)! It is made out of lentils and various spices. My only problem with the sandwiches are that they come with no sides. It feels a bit like an incomplete meal to just have a sandwich. Of course, you can order a side, but you get what I mean.

My other friend had the dinner special. This dinner was something like $12 and for that price, there was SO much food. All three of us could have eaten this for dinner and been stuffed. It came with greens, steamed broccoli, breaded tofu (think catfish fillet style), a whopping piece of lasagna, and a choice of soup or salad (he got the soup, bean curd veggie, with fresh cornbread). I've had the greens from Soul Veg before and I always find them a bit too musky from the liquid smoke they use. The steamed broccoli was pretty standard, tender and healthy. Now, this breaded tofu business. One of my friends who was with me is from the south and the other grew up eating breaded catfish and both of them were as impressed as I was with the breaded tofu. The lasagna was alright. I didn't love it or hate it, but I wouldn't order it again. Just wasn't my thing - something about the taste of it. Lastly, the soup and cornbread were really tasty.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2012/04/vegan-chicago-restaurant-review-of-soul.html

Pros: juice bar, large portions, soul vegan food

Cons: long wait, unorganized staff

One of my favorite restaurants - Edit

I love their raw blueberry ice cream. I also enjoy the cauliflower and the mac and cheese. I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed their raw options. I tried most of them and there were a lot of really tasty items. Normally, I resent cold food but not this time.

Yumm! - Edit

Loved the BBQ Platter and the Lasagna. And the Garlic dressing for my side salad was amazing!

Pros: Yummy Food, Price, Healthy & Filling

Great - Edit

This place is great. Huge menu, decent prices. Fast friendly services. Great location.

Pros: Price, Variety, Location

Cons: Not open early for breakfast

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Soul Vegetarian East and The Eternity Juice Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.