CLOSED: Sonny Bowl - Food Cart

• Vegan

Contact 971-285-6713

430 SW 3rd Ave (at SW Washington, downtown), Portland, Oregon, USA, 97204

Silver vegan food cart with limited seating operated by Sonny. Simple menu featuring vegan rice and quinoa bowls with locally grown organic vegetables, beans, and different sauces. JAN 2016 Reported food cart shut - owner opened Rabbits Cafe - see that listing.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by Chia

Now closed, but lives on in the U.S. Bancorp Tower - Edit

Sadly the Sonny Bowl food cart has closed; however, they have transformed into a brick-and-mortar shop right around the corner in the U.S. Bancorp Tower and renamed Rabbits Cafe. Same ownership and same staff (plus more because they needed it since they're so busy). Still great food, but slightly more expensive (about $1 more, but an updated and expanded menu -- they serve breakfast now! (A larger breakfast menu than the short-lived Sonny Bowl breakfast.) For the thrifty lunch-goer, the new spot still offer two $4 mini bowls, though no additions allowed on those.
All of owner Sanjay Chandrasekaran's restaurants are pretty amazing. The Sudra (his other brick-and-mortar shop) is one of my favorites -- not surprised they're opening a second location in St. Johns.

Pros: Delicious, Still available from another spot, $4 lunch option

Cons: Closed, Sometimes a bit of a wait

YUMMY - Edit

We got our food at another food cart around the corner, which was out of several items. We passed Sonny Bowl and were in the mood for some fried tofu or something, and they had it. All we got was a little container of fried non-meat (see my photo - you'll want some!). It was REALLY good, and had we not already had other food, we would have gotten more at this food cart. The service was really good - nice and pleasant. I think it only cost $3 - which was fantastic.

I love all the food carts in Portland, and especially that there are so many vegetarian and vegan ones to choose from.

Pros: Friendly, Good food, Cheap

Super yummy and lovely service - Edit

I finally got to do the Portland thing of eating from food trucks. Sonny Bowl is such a gem. The chickpea bowl is to die for (I added avocado to it) and the service super friendly a lovely. Best eat so far in Portland!

Yummy Huge Portion - Edit

My husband and I decided to share a large Black Bean bowl as we has just arrived in Portland and didn't feel like a full bowl each.
We added Avocado, Soy Curls and Ginger molasses and the result was a large tasty bowl that was more than enough for both of us and we licked the bowl clean.
The flavors and textures were fantastic and what we liked was that there wasn't an over abundance of rice which is usually the case when you order a bowl.
We went back two days later to take a bowl on the train home - the people around us were quite jealous as the bowl smelled so good.

Pros: Yummy, good sized portion, reasonable price

Amazing - Edit

This is an awesome vegan food cart. I am fortunate enough to work close by. I am in love with the OKQ and I love the way they prepare the tempeh. I really like the folks that work there. Friendly and upbeat. The food rocks and it's affordable.

Pros: excellent whole food, quick, affordable

Cons: none, none, none

*best* in town - Edit

Awesomely well done vegan food, generous servings *and* also great smoothies !
Inexpensive, for the given the food quality.

--jjo

Pros: Organic, Vegan, Value for food, Smoothies !

Cons: Cart (should you prefer seated, etc)

Perfection! - Edit

I tried Sonny Bowl for the first time and it was amazing. I wanted something green and filling and good. I ordered the OKQ Salad and was surprised that it was very fresh and crunchy but warm and satisfying on this gray Portland day. I added avocado to the salad which worked great with the smokiness of the tempeh. I will definitely be back to try other items on the menu.

Pros: fresh, tasty , fast

Updated Menu! - Edit

I'm not sure when this happened, but in the past 6(?) or so months. Sonny Bowl has gone from a 3 option, meek-looking food cart to a full-on lunch superstar.

New menu has the expected bowls with wraps, salad, smoothies and a breakfast scramble and parfait.

The dishes are various, flavorful combos of fresh veggies and rice (or quinoa) with flavor infusions in the form of creamy almond sauces, cashew cheese and a few types of soy curls.

Check them out, find your favorite, but call ahead if you plan to come for a weekday lunch!

Really good cart - Edit

I really like this cart. The Price is right. The Portions are good. Everything I've had is very tasty. I go to this cart often and I've not been disappointed. Especially since the menu changed to include wraps and salads.

Pros: Price, Portion, Taste

Sonny Bowl is Yummy! - Edit

I was recently in Portland for a few days and was excited to get in on the food cart craze. Sonny Bowl was the first cart I tried....let me just say "Comfort Food!" It was a little drizzly outside, getting chilly and a nice warm rice bowl with tons of yummies on top was the perfect meal. Their portions are great for the price. The flavors are tasty. I had bbq soy curls atop brown rice with veggies and side steamed kale salad with a delicious dressing. My boyfriend had a curry sauce on his rice with veggies and raisins. His dish was very aromatic! Sweet & savory! I was impressed. Sonny Bowl is a great vegan food cart.

Pros: big portions, tasty flavors, friendly staff

It's Great - Edit

I went to Sonny Bowl back in October and it was delicious. Relatively inexpensive and a good sized portion of food. What more can you ask for?

Pros: Good Value, Large portions

Sonny delight - Edit

After wrestling with being a carnivore for the last few years , and after having been vegan for a few years in my 20s, I finally decided to jump back into where I knew I should be. The first vegan spot i've tried is Sonny Bowl this afternoon. It's 2 blocks from my work, and I am happy to realize that this vegan thing is going to be easier (and tastier) than I thought! The food is amazing, and way better than anything I remember from my old vegan days. Can't wait to try the other things on the menu. The smoothie place in the cart next door looks pretty good too!

Pros: Hearty food , Quinoa option

Cons: If they close in the winter, I'll be sad

Cheap and healthy - Edit

I like to pick up a bowl every so often. It's good, it's healthy, it's cheap. Lately they have also had a side salad available, and it's right next to a vegan smoothie cart.

Pros: cheap, healthy, vegan

Cons: only three choices

Sonny bowl rocks!!! - Edit

I stopped by Sonny bowl today for lunch. It's a smaller food truck. Its got 2 small tables out front which is really nice and the seats are kind of nestled between the truck and some trees so when you are sitting you feel a bit recessed from all the other street cart hustle bustle.

My wife and I got the #1 and #3 and shared. There are only 3 menu items, they are $5 each and for an extra $1 a lot of people add soy curls to the #1. They are rice bowls with an assortment of beans, veggies and sauces. You can sub quinoa for I think $1.5 extra. Anyhow, both bowls were really excellent. They were a good sized portion. Tasted really good and seemed really healthy. We walked away having paid $10 total for a great lunch experience.

Pros: Good food, Cheap, Healthy

Cons: Limited seating, Food cart

Sonny Bowl Food Truck - Edit

I was here in September 09 and am pleased to share my review of Sonny Bowl on HappyCow.net. It was my first trip to Portland.

This is a food cart, not a restaurant. I got there late as the shop was closing but was able to catch up Sonny and chatted with him a little bit. Nice guy. The menu is very short and simple. Basically bowls with freshly cooked veggies. Healthy. The truck is silver and very small, like half the size of the other trucks. There is a small area for seating just in front of the truck. Worth checking out when in downtown Portland.

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Sonny Bowl - Food Cart closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5360 times since Aug 2009.