First Review by Aloo

Blown away! - Edit

I wasn't expecting much as far as vego goes in Tasmania but boy was I wrong when I visited this place. We went back multiple nights whilst in Hobart. The food is amazing. Honestly all I can say. Been running for a while and the owner is a wonderful lady who always seems to make time to have a chat. I wish there was a Sirens in Adelaide!

Pros: Awesome food, Friendly staff, Nice relaxing atmosphere

Cons: Bit pricey but so worth it

Samping Sirens - Edit

I took my non-vegan friends to Sirens on the first day of our Tassie holiday. I'd never been there before and we had a bit of a hard time finding the place. The front isn't well signposted and as one of my friends so charmingly stated "it looks more like the outside of a brothel then a vegan restaurant".

We didn't receive a warm welcome, the waitstaff were quite condescending and I wasn't impressed when they rudely told a man waiting behind our group to leave his umbrella at the door.

When we got to our table they didn't offer us any water, we had to ask for it, and even then they failed to bring it...we had to remind them a second time! It took ages for them to get around to taking our order and when the food finally arrived they got some of it wrong and almost gave my gluten intolerant friend the wrong meal!

That being said, the food was very tasty. I had the banana dahl and shared a vegan dip plate with a friend, both were fantastic! The interiors are bohemian chic - I really loved it!

I would probably go back to Sirens, but their staff should get some serious customer service lessons!

Pros: fabulous food, inspiring interiors

Cons: snobby service, slow

Stunning food - 5++ restaurant - Edit

What amazing food, and so beautifully presented! The gruyere souffle with smoked chestnuts, presented with slices of pear and roasted parsnips, with a wonderful rich sauce and some crispy beansprouts was so good we had to go back to eat it again. A restaurant that's nearly full on a Tuesday and absolutely full on a Friday - that tells you something. Oh, and the staff are so warm, welcoming and attentive.

Pros: Gastronomy, Decor & atmosphere , Staff

Cons: portions too big for room for dessert

Why can't Sydney have a joint like this? - Edit

We came to Sirens with high expectations, and were not disappointed. The atmosphere is cosy - decorated in Art Nouveau/orientalist style, with Norman Lindsay flourishes. There are plenty of vegan options, and the dishes are creative and surprising. The tempeh with couscous was delicious, as was the vegan dessert: a chocolate tart. The wine options are also excellent. Sirens is certainly on a par with Melbourne's Shakahari's, and I only wish that Sydney had an equivalent "fine-dining" veg*n experience. All in all, Sirens is a gem, to which I hope some day to return.

Pros: cosy ambiance, great food, excellent service

Cons: a little pricey, but worth it

Fabulous Variety - Edit

I absolutely love this place! I have found that alot of other places around which serve vegetarian/vegan mainly have asian based meals. Which are also quite yummy but its nice to have a little variety. So I am glad I have found a place that I can go to which serves a varied and healthy vegan/vegetarian meal. They do the MOST scrumptous BBQ'd dolamdes and have lots for a vegan to choose from. On a few occassions they have had a vegan chocolate chessecake which is pretty good too!!

Pros: Great Service, Fantasic Fresh Food, Excellent Variety

Very fine dining - Edit

Wow, Sirens is just lovely. The restaurant interior includes caravanserai booths and comfy chairs, plus a well-stocked bar, and a bookcase full of reading materials.

The food is excellent (delicious, ample servings, inspired and inspiring choices), and half the menu is marked Vegan!

I had the eggplant boreks (Turkish samosas) with pomegranate dip and cucumber strips; a plate of Japanese delicacies (seaweed & sesame, rice balls, wonton-like soup, etc); spinach in lemon & garlic; pink-eye potatoes; and a nice glass of cabernet merlot.

My friends (a couple and their child) equally enjoyed their meals and the whole dining experience.

The service was friendly, helpful and unobtrusive.

Sirens had quite a crowd for a Wednesday night, and is obviously very popular. I recommend you book ahead!

BEST IN AUSTRALIA!!!! - Edit

This is the best vegetarian restaurant in Australia. I have just completed trips around the country on work and Sirens stands heads above all the others. Much more haute cuisine than, say, Angelica Kitchen in NYC. This is a 5 star eatery, where the service is friendly, if leisurely, and the menu is outstanding.

Pros: haute cuisine

Ambience makes a visit here an event - Edit

This is the kind of place where a vegan/vegetarian could have thier birthday and it would feel special. The menu is a little limited, and for a vegan even more so. I think I had about 3 options from the mains, and one of them was not available- I can usually get that from a non vego restaurant! The food was excellent, albeit small servings and expensive. They had vegan dessert which is always a bonus. The service was friendly and helpful. I would go back again, mainly because eating out is not just about the food, but the whole experience. The whole experience was positive.

Pros: good food, vegan desserts, service

Cons: limited menu, expensive for vegie place

Return to Hobart Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Sirens closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1325 times since Aug 2007.