American
Take-out
Vietnamese

A family-owned restaurant that serves a variety of dishes from pasta, burgers and sandwiches to Vietnamese entrees and noodle soups, rice dishes with mock meats. Opened fall-2010. Reported fully vegan August 2021. Open Mon-Tue 10:30am-2:30pm, Mon-Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm, Thu-Sun 10:30am-2:30pm. Hours may vary; call ahead.

Venue map for Simple Joy
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by beve_luna

marieroberts

Points +1427

13 Feb 2024

It was pretty good

We had Asian salad, summer rolls, curry noodle and pho soup- everything was fresh and delicious.

Pros: All vegan

Cons: Strong bleach smell inside restaurant

Jessica_Marie

Points +408

03 Feb 2024

Huge menu

If you're looking for a menu that will have something for everyone (Curry? French fries? Avocado smoothie? Spaghetti with red sauce?) - this is the place. If you're wanting atmosphere or someone a bit more upscale, not so much. I had the Pad Thai and it was boring and greasy. The fresh rolls were good.

Updated from previous review on 2024-02-03

Pros: Lots of options

mecarly1

Points +198

03 Feb 2024

Reminds me of Loving Hut

Menu reminds me of Loving Hut. Plus they have pasta and sandwiches, though I am not sure how they are. However, the food I did try was great. Very extensive menu.

Misanthropia

Points +2697

07 Jan 2024

Tasty vegan food and plenty options

Mostly Asian inspired options, but also some Western/European dishes such as pasta. I had the Seafood pasta, the similarity to actual seafood was a bit creepy but the taste was good. Also the staff is very friendly and forthcoming, he mixed up a part of our order and gave us a dish for free. Definitely one of the best options in Honolulu for vegans

TwoRabbits

Points +305

10 Dec 2023

Tasty Asian options

As an appetizer we got the fried summer rolls - which I would skip next time as portion was small. We got the lemongrass noodle soup and veggie fried rice. We enjoyed both the entrees as they were a nice size and the flavor was there.

The menu was very large like close to 100 different items. Can be hard to choose with a menu that large especially since you’re only going to order a dish or two!

Pros: Helpful staff

Cons: Large menu

spiderho!!

Points +47

26 Sep 2023

Yummmmm!

Perfect vegan food. The chow fun was great!!

Pros: Sauce was good for chow fun.

Breides

Points +46

06 Sep 2023

Grrat choice!

The food was delicious for a reasonable price!

Catdogtor🐾

Points +400

23 Aug 2023

Seriously adorable💙

Super quaint little hole-in-the-wall spot. Menu is extensive and has plenty of variety to please everyone. I had the “Kung Pow Wow,” which was good, and the potstickers which were even better. Definitely worth the stop😄

Updated from previous review on 2023-08-23

InadvertentlyVegan

Points +843

19 Aug 2023

What a great little family restaurant

This a a simple place, with simple decor but family run, we were had a good time, the old lady serving worked her [censored] off as it was surprisingly busy with just her doing front of house, it think her daughter was in the kitchen.

It’s called vegetarian but everything is vegan just think they can’t be bothered to change the name.

Huge menu, so much to choose from

Trying to remember what we had
Pot stickers, Sweet and Sour Spare Ribs, Lemongrass Tofu, Pad Thai (maybe) we had noodles but not sure it was Pad Thai and Mixed veggies. A few things come with rice so we didn’t need extra

I think we had a Bannana Blossom Salad with lions mane mushrooms maybe, it was great, highly recommend it.

Updated from previous review on 2023-08-19

Pros: Easy street parking, Lovely people, Huge menu of choice

Cons: Slightly seedy part of town but maybe not

Harmoniclight

Points +40

14 Aug 2023

Amazing crispy thick cut fries !! MMmm smoothie

Amazing smoothie (berry) and epic large cut thick fries with ketchup and I am a fry aficionado😄friendly service as well !

Pros: Crispy nice fries !, Friendly service , Nice smoothies

doublewire

Points +36

06 Jul 2023

Quaint, homey, huge menu!

Was amazed at the selection here! Not just Vietnamese food but also Thai, Western, and more. The banh xeo and banh mi were delicious. Nice to eat off real dishes, a bit hard to find at a casual eatery in Hawaii!

Updated from previous review on 2023-07-06

kmramki

Points +70

29 Jun 2023

Hole in the wall you'll love

Simple place, delicious meal

Pros: Delicious meal , Great variety, like Soondubu

AprilJoyce

Points +282

05 Jun 2023

Simply Joyful

We had a great experience. The owner let me leave my bag while I picked up my friend from the airport on my motorcycle. We came back, ate & they allowed us both to charge our phones. The food was delicious. I had a banana flower salad, and spring rolls. My friend had potstickers and bahn mi. The food was yummy and priced very reasonably.

Pros: Service, Price, Food

Freya812

Points +70

22 Feb 2023

Vegan Loco Moco!

Very convenient to downtown Honolulu. Was able to try a local favorite Loco Moco. So good! Very extensive menu.

OperationChowhound

Points +4635

19 Feb 2023

Short Order from a Long Menu

There are 66 menu choices to peruse. I ordered Summer Rolls (rice noodle, tofu, ham, mint, and lettuce wrapped in rice paper) and Beef and Broccoli. The Summer Rolls were very minty and served with a sweet sauce. The Beef and Broccoli was somewhat bland despite a lot of gravy. It does not include rice, so I ordered a side to add more substance and to soak up the gravy. I would try something else, but it's hard to decide with so many menu items.

Pros: all vegan, many choices, quick service

Cons: ambience, too many choices

Richards_E.C.

Points +484

15 Jan 2023

Well done :)

Authentic vegan Vietnamese restaurant,
I had the: Bahn mi: $11- good but definitely not an entire meal to me, so definitely get something on the side. Tasted good, ham may not live up to the name, but it is good for what it is and the flavor that it brings
Clay pot sensation: $16- great taste, may not live to the sea food itch that someone may be looking for, but is definitely a meal that is flavorful and worth getting.
Parking: odd, but manageable, tolled at specific times.
Service: with one person manning the tables and orders, the service was good, smooth and expedient. Food to table was reasonable with how many people there were and me being just one person among plenty. Takes some time, but the quality is worth the wait.
Ambience/Atmosphere: Nice, simple, suits the food, family friendly.
Variety of options!
Reasonably priced
Place got so full that they seemingly couldn’t fit everyone, to which is good that the attraction is there, but honestly impractical to fix.
As the rating system says: 4/5 is very good and I think it deserve a try! I will definitely come back at some point if possible😄

Pros: Variety/unique, Service, Can’t complain

Ryan MTB

Points +477

28 Dec 2022

Friendly staff, OK food, run down restaurant

The staff were friendly. As far as the food goes, it was quite underwhelming, it needs more flavor, and the restaurant needs a good thorough cleaning and remodel. The walls, floor, etc. are stained with years of dirt.

Pros: Friendly staff, All Vegan

Cons: Food needs more flavor, Restaurant needs a thorough cleaning/ remodel

tampopo

Points +466

Vegetarian
12 Dec 2022

Lots of options

Everything we ordered was really delicious. The food was 5 stars but there was only one waiter who had too much work.

AviPeretz

Points +30

07 Nov 2022

Simply amazing

Everything was great, we enjoyed every dish

Pros: Friendly

MelissaHorsefeathers

Points +1445

24 Sep 2022

Yum!

I ordered through a delivery service. The food was delicious! The Banana Flower Salad was fresh, unusual, and tasty! I also ordered the Chow Fun based on another review and loved it. However, my favorite dish I tried were the crispy spring rolls. The rolls are small though and I wish I ordered more. Would definitely go back here to try more dishes!

Pros: Looks like all vegan, Fresh tasting, Some unusual dishes

RowanHedley

Points +28

21 Sep 2022

Worth a visit

Fantastic food. We had the shrimp basket, chow fun noodles and clay pot sensation. All delightful food. Chow fun was a personal favourite!

SethV

Points +97

Non Veg
29 Aug 2022

Great

Great food at a reasonable price.

Updated from previous review on 2022-08-29

FMercadoVeg

Points +16

16 Aug 2022

Good vegan options. Went for a lunch with friend. Food is delicious.

Definitely will come back again to try some of other options. Good to know that this place is 100% vegan. Parking can be challenging but we came on Sunday when it was not too busy.

santoshk1

Points +20

07 Jun 2022

Great vegan food honolulu

We eat here a lot.

Pros: Vegan. 100 percent, Delicious food, Open 7 days per week

Yuna_X

Points +605

20 Mar 2022

Wide variety of yummy food

Yummy food, great service. Wide variety of food from Vietnamese to fettucine and burgers. The portion sizes are a bit on the smaller side (they're not overloaded and you likely won't have leftovers). Glad to support a 100% vegan restaurant!

veganvick

Points +228

28 Feb 2022

The Best in all of Oahu

Everything on the menu tasted amazing. Tropical rice was superb! Service is great and restaurant is nice and cozy. Don’t bother with any other Vietnamese or Thai “can make it vegan” spots in Oahu. This place warranted multiple trips and looking forward to returning when next in Oahu!

Pros: Everything is amazing, Great service

Bushtitty

Points +435

14 Feb 2022

Great vegan food

Like the name of the restaurant, Simple Joy serves simple food that is filling and healthy. We had the garlic bread and vegetable clay pot. The latter was mildly spicy and delicious, I really liked the sauce that we kept scraping to eat with our rice. It also came with a vegetable soup which I also enjoyed.