Vegan-friendly
Japanese
Gluten-free
Non-veg

Serves meat, vegan options available. Billed as a health food restaurant, whose owner also teaches cooking classes. Has vegan noodles at lunchtime and a wider evening menu. Ask for suggestions. Directions: from exit 7 at Marunouchi station, take the first street on the right towards the river. Restaurant is adjacent to a gas station. Open Tue-Fri 11:30am-1:30pm, Tue-Sun 5:30pm-9:00pm. Last order 8.30pm.

Venue map for Saizencyuka anzu
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by SamanthaIngridHo

LiorBlum

Points +216

22 Dec 2023

Very tasty, very friendly

Has Vegan alternatives to almost dishes, although a bit pricier. Overall tasty food, filling and the owner is very nice.
Cash only.

RyanHagel

Points +242

14 Nov 2023

Delicious, affordable, owners speak English and easy to find

Not many options in Nagoya but this was a hit!! Delicious. Spring rolls were so yummy. Crispy and so tasty

alexiscaporale

Points +21

14 Oct 2023

Absolutely incredible

Try the Sichuan sesame noodles!!!

宋芸熙

Points +26

Herbivore
24 Aug 2023

好吃的素食中華料理

口味偏重但很好吃,推薦糖醋雞(黑醋)、油淋雞(名古屋的素食市場要再加油呀!選擇太少了🥲)
老闆會一點點中文,人很和善👍👍💖

Pros: 中文略懂, 中菜日本口味, 菜式精緻

MartinBaumeister

Points +458

02 Aug 2023

Wonderful vegan and gluten-free six course meal

We came here for a business dinner. One vegan and three omnivores, we all enjoyed this wonderful vegan gluten-free deliciousness! Nice little restaurant where the chef brings the food and explains every piece on the plate! Highly recommend giving them a try!

Capablanca

Points +37

03 Jun 2023

Very tasty!

Very tasty dishes and the host was very friendly. He made it all fresh.

danchaplin

Points +26

Mostly Veg
11 Apr 2023

Delicious Chinease Food

Great meal here today, good choice for both veg and non veg diners. English memu available, vegan items clearly labeled and staff really clear when brining to table which are vegan. Nice chat with the owner too about all the places he's had visitors from.

Pros: Lots of vegan/veg options all clearly labeled, Owner really friendly and chatty , Tasty!

Cons: Cash only (though not uncommon in Japan)

MBrückle

Points +13

05 Apr 2023

Chinesisches Restaurant mit vielen veganen Optionen!

Fast jedes Gericht ist auch als vegane Variante verfügbar. Dabei erhält man genau Infos wie sich das vegane Gericht vom Original/nichtveganer Option unterscheidet.

Pros: Viele vegane Optionen, Freundlicher Koch

LisaLisaLisa

Points +419

06 Nov 2021

Call ahead

You won't be served if they have a group reservation. Won't make you anything for take out either.

RafaelKenji

Points +22

10 Aug 2021

Great

My favorite vegan ramen! The owners are nice too

creamychoux

Points +202

07 Jun 2020

Excellent!

So many vegan options and the food is delicious! Staff are very friendly and helpful, too.
Will definitely be returning to try other dishes.

cowcowbunny

Points +162

12 Apr 2020

Chinese medicinal cuisine

Offers variety of Chinese medicinal cuisine. Host cooking classes. Ramen soup was a bit too salty for me but I’d love to try other menu. Independently owned and cozy atmosphere.

Pros: No synthetic seasoning , No white sugar , Certified Medicinal cooking

Cons: Small space

SophieSchmailzl

Points +293

29 Mar 2020

Nice food

Would give 5 out of 5 if I could!
Awsome food and super friendly owner!

NaamaAvitsur

Points +13

Mostly Veg
28 Nov 2019

Highly recommended!!

Everything in this restaurant is amazing! Best dish i ate in japan.

AngelaAleksoska

Points +23

21 Nov 2019

Amazing!!

Amazing food & owner is amazing. Mapo tofu is amazing and they have plenty of vegan options. Would highly recommend and well priced !!

Rhea.L.M.

Points +1709

03 Nov 2019

Exquisite.

What incredible soul food! This is the best food I’ve had, anywhere, in a really long time.

Pros: Everything! This food, is everything. , Cute atmosphere , Friendly owners.

Winterpret

Points +25

27 Sep 2019

Would give 5 stars!

The menu is very clear what's vegan. There is enough choice, almost all of the meals have a vegan option. Staff is very friendly and helpful. And it is really delicious! Would definitely go back there!

mayatalise

Points +811

25 Jul 2019

Great place for vegan food!

Amazing food and friendly staff. We come here very often because is is so good!

Pros: Vegan options labeled well

WesBates

Points +252

22 Jul 2019

Our neighborhood spot

The owners here are so nice and really go out of their way. We love the mapo tofu and the yuba dish.

VeganRox

Points +608

07 Apr 2019

LOVE - best mapo tofu outside of China!

Although in Happy Cow it says this is Japanese food, it is more Chinese really. The chef is enthusiastic and really friendly and was happy to chat and talk about his food.
There are vegan options for most of the dishes.
The mapo tofu has to be the best we've had outside of China (and we had a lot in China!), its so authentic tasting and full of flavour.

Would give 5 stars if I could!

S!dovegan!e

Points +81

14 Mar 2019

Best vegan tantanmen I ever had.

A small and cozy place with lots of vegan options.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Very tasty food

iokan

Points +1725

18 Dec 2018

Come for the food, come back for the atmosphere

Going to a new city for the first time is always a bit of a gamble. Where can we get good food? HappyCow is here to change the odds in our favour, but still it's always a guess. Before travelling to Nagoya I checked the HappyCow website to make sure there is enough opportunity to eat. But when I actually arrived in Nagoya I found out I made a mistake: many vegan restaurants here only serve lunch, not dinner.

So I was left with the list of "serves meat, has vegan options". These are places I only visit if there's nothing else available. Based on the pictures and reviews I choose Saizencyuka anzu. It's a 10 minute walk from Nagoya station and Google Maps will take you right to the doorstep.

The moment I came in I was welcomed with a warm and friendly smile plus the question "vegan"? Yes! Vegan! An English menu is available and the vegan options are clearly marked. While trying the make a choice the chef came for a little talk. Are you vegan? Where are you from? How long will you stay in Nagoya? I like it when the staff takes personal interest in their guests!

I ordered the tofu salad and mapo tofu (also known as "mapo doufu" or "mabo tofu"). The tofu salad looks so beautiful that it feels like a waste to eat. It's colourful, it's beautifully arranged and it even looks tasteful. And yes, it certainly is. A splendid combination of ingredients and a very tasty sesame dressing.

The mapo tofu is served so hot that it actually makes a sound. Saizencyuka anzu uses different spices for mapo tofu, but the result is the same: a tasty blend of soft tofu and spicy sauce.

While eating I overheard how the chef explained other guests what they were eating, where the ingredients came from and how he prepared it. And that's what so great about Saizencyuka anzu: the chef takes pride in his work and treats his customers like guests. That's why you come to Saizencyuka anzu for the food, but you come back for the atmosphere.

Pros: great food, warm, welcoming atmosphere

Cons: not cheap (but worth it), also serves meat

JustJust

Points +237

14 Nov 2018

One of the best ramen in Japan

Their vegan ramen is insanely good! A bit hot and very delicious.
The restaurant has 12 seats and an ok selection of vegan dishes. The chef is a really nice guy.

Pros: Very delicious, English menu available

רותם

Points +17

01 Nov 2018

The best vegan food in Japan

There was a lot of vegan options in the menu. It was the best vegan food I had in Japan, even my carnivorious boyfriend enjoyed and praised it. The owner was very delighted to hear our thoughts and took a picture with us to hang on the wall.
It's a small family restaurant and the hospitality was charming.

torgerduranna

Points +42

06 Aug 2018

Cute place with nice vegan options

The owner was very friendly and the menu had plenty of vegan options. I had some soy bites with salad and my non-vegan friend had the spicy noodle soup. We both loved the food!
The ice-cream dessert was also very nice.

Pros: Plenty of vegan options.

ElectricM

Points +159

21 Jul 2018

Heartful place

We ordered sezhuan pickles for starter, stir fried vegetables, tofu and beans in spicy sauce and noodles. Everything was very tasty and a bit unusual. Chinese inspired health food with loads of flavors. The couple running this cozy little place seem very genuine about the food they serve. The owner was keen to know why we were vegan and what we think about the dishes he cooked us and about began food in general in Japan. He’s hoping more Japanese people will understand the health and environmental benefits there are to a vegan diet. I recommend a visit!

Pros: Healthy food , Heartful owner, Exciting menu

DeiaFe

Points +38

16 Jun 2018

Amazing vegan food in Nagoya

We had a great experience at this restaurant! The food was delicious and the chef and owner is so nice!He doesn't use GMO or refined sugar. The vegan options are indicated on the menu (English menu available) so it's really easy to choose. We had the vegetables with yuba (very tasty, our first time trying yuba) and the spicy Chinese dish (tofu and soy meat). Very tasty and fresh! I definitely recommend this place if you are in Nagoya!

Pros: Vegan options indicate at menu (English), Amazing food, Natural seasoning, chef and owner sweet person